11th Grade Veeky Forums Teacher AMA

Pennsylvania

Attached: IMG_0086.gif (384x288, 3.03M)

wat books u teach

What do you think of neo-pragmatism and the re-appropriation of german idealism into mainstream analytic philosophy?

We're currently in the middle of a sci-fi unit: Dune and Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

I let the kids choose from a list I compiled.

Attached: IMG_1792.png (700x1048, 1.63M)

Post list

LARPers get out

>""""""teaching"""""" sci fi
jesus christ this board has really had it

I will once I get to a computer.

Yes, that's a thing we do.

Attached: images.jpg (224x224, 6K)

They needed a reprieve from two weeks of standardized test prep.

I hope this is a joke.

Got any hot students you would bang?

Is this because it's a 70's Star Jew novel?

Where in PA?

Western

What's wrong with Dune, doublenigger?

11th graders don't want to read whatever obscure Veeky Forums fodder you'd suggest.

Attached: IMG_1789.png (720x971, 419K)

Attached: you.gif (480x238, 415K)

Have you fallen for the YA fiction meme yet? I'm starting as a high school English teacher in the fall and my grad program is pretty bad about pushing it.

>Have you fallen for the YA fiction meme yet?
Not as of yet, thank god. I encourage my students to read whatever they wish in their free time, but the classroom is no place for Ready Player One.

Attached: IMG_1788.png (572x662, 122K)

Have you fucked any of your students?

I'll let you know when I've had enough.

>my grad program is pretty bad about pushing it
Don't budge an inch.

I was thinking the same thing.
2 shit sci-fi novels

how about some Ayn Rand?
not!

The country needs a reprieve from 30+ years of standardized test prep.

What translation should I read of The Gulag Achipelago?

Actual OP here. What predominately sci-fi novels would you recommend for 11th grade level? Reading comprehension, retention, and maintaining interest are issues that English educators routinely struggle with, despite grade level.

Attached: IMG_1770.gif (418x313, 1.77M)

Hitchhiker's Guide

Attached: IMG_1737.png (348x384, 203K)

>The country needs a reprieve from 30+ years of standardized test prep.
You're preaching to the choir. Standardized testing leaches away what little literary interest I instill within my students.

Attached: IMG_1643.jpg (327x473, 103K)

slip a little Vonnegut in, actually One Player One, for the simple reason he uses the word "flibbertigibbet" twice, have them watch "Forbidden Planet" and then read "The Tempest," or vice versa, Childhood's End," and maybe, "Strange in a Strange Land," "The Martian."

Personally, I found Dune to be unreadable. The Star Wars book might hook 'em, but any Heinlein would really get into their heads.

Attached: jetsons.jpg (845x617, 493K)

>The Martian
My negrosapien.

Ready Player One, yeah I know
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, I forgot

Attached: dunce33.jpg (180x280, 9K)

Stop recommending this toilet paper to our country's youth.

Hitchhikers Guide is apex sci-fi, you contrarian fuck.

In 11th grade I was taking Shakespeare.
Hell I read the entire Odyssey freshman year. Took an entire quarter. We went book by book.
Of course that was a Jesuit school.
Public schools in America...

Attached: laughingatplebs.jpg (480x360, 22K)

Heinlein is unlikely to be approved. Lots of sex and degenerate behavior. The only one I can think of without either is Starship Troopers and since people consider it a fascist manifesto, it's got no chance.

That isn't real. It can't be.

American private schools are better, though. We read Macbeth in eighth grade.

>letting students choose.

Attached: jameson.jpg (619x320, 19K)

what's your favorite aaliyah song

My 11th and 12th graders loved The Martian.

How old are you? Why don't you teach at a college level?

I'm a 27 year old who is transfering from a community college to a 4 year in the fall. I want to be a teacher, but unsure if I wanna teach highschool but also unsure if I wanna go to grad school

Rock the Boat

My 12th grade class has as of yesterday concluded our reading of The Martain. Excellent choice.

>not forcing homer on your students

Attached: 1460499026540.jpg (500x431, 53K)

>Why don't you teach at a college level?
25: I'm currently accumulating precious rubles for grad school.

>unsure if I wanna teach highschool but also unsure if I wanna go to grad school
Teach high school whilst completing graduate courses; many schools provide financial aid with the intention of furthering the academic competency of their educators.

Attached: Nokama_Turaga_render.png (200x205, 44K)

>Of course that was a Jesuit school.

believe it or not, it takes less accreditation to teach college in America than to teach high school

I have been teaching for 20+ years plus at a CC, and I taught over 17 years at a 2 universities but cannot teach high school except as a sub

you need a teaching certificate in the state I live in to teach high school

regarding the Jesuits, if you were taught by them, good luck with your mission, and you will need Jesus, my young padawan, cuz nobody else is going to save your sorry ass

Attached: teacherman.jpg (792x620, 82K)

I am currently in my third year of college and plan to teach high school english after.

How often do you just straight lecture to them vs like, idk Socratic method or whole class discussion

How strict are you about cell phone use

How many weeks/months are bullshit, like standardized testing prep or the school making them do 5 page "scientific" research papers?

In what way do you teach them stuff like essay writing? I read memerson's essay writing guide that he gives his psych students and it's actually really good, I'd probably show my students a dumbed down version of it.

Also do you ever do anything weird like a week of very introductory philosophy or analyzing song lyrics or something?

How many novels/year?

Don't have to answer all of these I'm just very curious and probably have a lot of misconceptions about what the job is like.

My private school read Beowulf in 6th grade

Attached: 1521044759145.jpg (400x400, 32K)

Student here. Fahrenheit 451 is short and one of the most memorable books we read in school. It's a perfect balance for high school students I believe

that shit shouldn't be read past the 7th grade. Any later than the 7th grade and you are wasting acquired literary intelligence on sophomoric writings. This is assuming that the school isn't day care for retards, which it sounds like yours is.

Attached: 1521242921128.gif (227x221, 967K)

>assuming the school isn't day care for retards

you underestimate public school. Take your anger elsewhere instead of foaming at the mouth you degenerate pseud

I am not angry, I was just trying to help the person not waste their time.

None of my 10th graders have even heard of Fahrenheit 451: I feel obligated to expose them to it at least once in their lives.

Attached: IMG_1795.jpg (705x710, 104K)

how much do you want to kill yourself having to deal with niggers

>tfw you teach at a 98% white, private Connecticut school.

Attached: IMG_1739.jpg (640x480, 38K)

exactly my point. It's short, easy, and relatable. The two most important aspects of teaching high school English literature is developing critical analysis and actually getting them to care about reading. Not all of them will care but throwing Grapes of Wrath at them will just make them resentful.

>re-appropriation of german idealism into mainstream analytic philosophy?
examples?

THis: Heinlein and Vonnegut

Stranger in a Strange Land
The Moon is a Harsh

Slaughterhouse 5 and selected short stories

whenever u teach do u get really cognitive of the fact that while ur talking everyone who is listening is jsut ignoring u and daydreaming and boobs and penises

How's the pay at a private? I heard they pay less. I'll be starting in the fall at a public high school in VA for 42k, and 5k once I finish my masters.

I make 61k after three years.

Are you also white?

I want to teach at a private school, seems like a better environment for teachers.

>Are you also white?
Why yes.

private tends to pay more as far as I know

>Forever War by Joe Haldman
Excellent sci-fi, the entire thing is pretty much an allegory for his time in Vietnam.

Apologies for this not being totally relevant, but for any teachers on Veeky Forums are there any crazy stories around your school? I feel like when I was a kid every school had something bonkers go down at some point or another.

With the exception of the more "precocious" kids instigating fistfights and the odd bomb threat, my semester has been decidedly uneventful.

What are the state required books or writers?

My private school read the Critique of Pure Reason in fourth grade.

Space Odyssey: 2001 Arthur Clarke
The Martian Chronicles Ray Bradbury
The Time Machine HG Wells
Those were my highshool sci-fi novels and they were ok. Accompany them with your postmodernism or Marxism lessons.

seeAlso have you ever banged any of your students?

Solaris

My Private School(Chicago) read The Count of Monte Cristo in French in Grade One, and not only retained what we were reading but applied psychoanalytical and deconstructionalist criticism to the text

No comment.

Did it make you a better shitposter

My kindergarten class read Culture of Critique.

how do I get a girlfriend

Make them read Gene Wolfe, see what those roasties have to say about it

this
loved it when i read it in 10th grade, had no one to talk about it with

Read Finnegan's Wake back in preschool

This, if you are gonna read sci-fi read Lem or Dick

My teacher friends tell me private pays less but generally the kids are way better to deal with so it’s often a worthwhile trade off

My private kindergarten made us translate Proust's Remembrance of Things Past from French to English and then to Latin.

My sandbox skills and coloring studies grades suffered because of this.

what kind of shit school did you go to? we read Foundation for Exploration on kindergarten

how does it feel being a subhuman entitled parasite?

you realize that teaching has almost zero effect on a student’s intelligence and that they’d get as much done if they had online self directed study as if they went to your gay fucking reeducation program every day you fucking coward?

>t. angsty teen
I'm sorry, many low-functioning children struggle in school.

Attached: 1521231251051.png (600x600, 175K)

Have fun in trade school.

Hey man my pipes aren't quite working, mind coming in and fixing them?

t. "educated men" who make half as much as a plumber or an electrician

I don't have to rationalize splashing around in other men's sewage for the rest of my life.

Attached: 5e2.jpg (554x439, 106K)

Why nokama

Why not Nokama?

Attached: IMG_0044.png (468x656, 594K)

Yet you rationalize your own choice of mediocre profession by conflating plumbers with sewer workers. At least plumbers don't think they're hot shit for reading a couple of books and forming opinions on them

>At least plumbers don't think
Lol