Opinions on His Dark Materials?

Opinions on His Dark Materials?

Attached: 91-VCk7TU6L.jpg (1672x2560, 645K)

Nonsensical forced bad-end. Only pretends to be anti-religious. I liked it as a kid, but the Narnia series is objectively better despite being Christian propaganda.

Good series. The ending is just a tad contrived.

>edgy atheism
>inconsistent rules
>contrived plot
>pointless subplots
>sequel bait
Anyway, enough about Ulysses

I really enjoyed it around age 14, but it's never held my interest for very long on attempted re-reads.
would definitely recommend to people who haven't read it, esp younger people tho.

>propaganda is bad because m'lady

>boring uninventive didactic fiction is good because m'god

>Christian propaganda is bad
St Augustine, Dante and Milton may have something to say about that.

Good for edgy teenage reads, and the concept of daemons.
Rest is trashy.
>Me and me snow cat kill angel wid halp of a hoe and her golden monkey.

>Only pretends to be anti-religious
I don't think that he intended it to be anti-religious at all. Despite the deicide motives it was at most against the establishment of organized religion and not against any spiritual principles.

Don't you mean "because of it being Christian propaganda"?

>Stop reading C.S. Lewis.

Attached: philip_pullman_cbe-©_wolf_marloh.jpg (1697x1200, 247K)

read the new book. it's basically anti-feminist. he pretty much mansplains normative gender roles to his audience the entire book. it's hardly some anti christian manifesto. he's anti authoritarian. was anti christian authority in the 90s. now he's anti feminist authority

heavily influenced by gnostic thought.
some of the arguments against Christianity/Church were childish.
just one example of many:
Lyra
>My mother and the Church are cutting the daemons away from children, therefore I will join the Antichrist to overthrow God, even though God never told the Church to do such a thing, and even though the Antichrist killed my best friend.
Another example:
>People don't go to Heaven when they die, they go to Hades, where they're tortured for eternity by harpies. Don't ask me for proof, though, that's what naive Christians do.
or....
>Angels are immortal and ageless, and God didn't create them, they manifested in the same way God did, from Dust. Oh, and God is old, dying and senile, even though I just said that angels don't age or go senile... yea... plot hole... but just ignore and hate Christianity.

Tbh, i'm surprised this is peddled to children. I suppose it's because author knew children wouldn't be as perceptive to the plot holes and contradictions in gnostic thought as an adult would be.

Read it when I was 12, the end pissed me off because I immediately thought:

why didn't they just leave one fucking hole between Lyra and Will's world?

I read it when I was young, I can remember not understanding much of the end of it. It went from bleak childhood adventure to some sort of war with angels at the end suddenly

I recall liking the first two novels a lot and hating the third as a kid.

they could leave one hole; between their worlds, or between purgatory and heaven. the tragedy of the series is that they have to choose the latter, making a sacrifice for multiverses full of souls, damning themselves to loneliness

Reading the ending was the saddest I ever felt as a kid.

Except they explicitly go over this, you dumb fuck. See

>Reading the ending was the saddest I ever felt as a kid.
Same

I rode my bike around in a daze for an hour after I finished it senpai