The count of monte cristo

I’m thinking about reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. Should I read it or not and is it a good book or not?

Attached: DEF76EC8-6748-4954-9E2A-0A87FA61B209.jpg (250x382, 34K)

also wondering this

There are parts that make it really obvious he was being paid by the word. Like spending a solid page or two describing a room that never appears again. But I still enjoyed it

it was amazing

it was dogshit

honestly one of the best books i've ever read. definitely his best work.
please read it.

There are certainly better doorstoppers but this one is quite nice.

One of the best revenge stories ever written. Read it and enjoy it.

Just watch the anime

read

It's the most purely entertaining tome there is. Everyone should read it

Also do afterwards because the anime is pretty neat too

Are the abridged versions alright?

Just read the whole thing

it's a huge waste of time but i guess what isn't
it won't teach you anything about life, or about yourself, it will just make you realize people are weak and shitty and selfishly driven by anger and their cocks, all of which you probably already know unless you are like 10 years old
i guess it deserves a 6/10? maybe a 5/10

Attached: countpchc.jpg (284x450, 28K)

why make this thread when you can easily search the title of the book in the archive to find out?

yes you should, but only b/c bitches love this book for some reason.

because it's a massively drawn out soap opera with an ultra-Chad totally unrealistic """hero""" which they flick the bean to as they read it

> or not

It's pure shite. Read this instead.

Attached: 2315892[1].jpg (263x400, 52K)

Its good, lit is too contrarian to admit to liking it.

delightful plot, but wont teach you anything, i reccomend

No, read The Three Musketeers and its sequels: Twenty Years After, The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Louise de la Valliere, and The Man in the Iron Mask. Ignore The Son of Porthos/The Death of Aramis, though. or D'Artagnan Kingmaker, The King’s Passport, or D'Artagnan, the sequel to the Three Musketeers--none of them were written by Dumas. They're unscrupulous 19th-Century fanfic.

Okay I'm bias on this because it has a special place in my heart.

I'm an ex- prisoner & I read it while locked up (tad cliche I realize).
Anyway it's a bit on the long side alright, but, what I took from it (not escaping prison, in this day & age it's nearly impossible) is that in life you can re-invent yourself, there's a whole process involved in shaping a new identity that can take years & even a decade or so, but it can be done.
Plus, it's tremendous fun deciding "who will I become?"

>locked up
What for?

It is worth a read or listen. I read it when I was about 13 or so and deeply enjoyed it then.

I partially agree with people saying there is nothing to learn from the novel, as it is mostly just an entertaining story focused around character transformation.

But it definitely has some deep lessons, albeit obvious ones. You can't fix internal issues with external changes, and resentment is bad. Also life is unfair, which tends to be a lesson in almost every novel ever.

Cool to hear this user, glad to hear you are taking control and shaping your own being. The vast majority of people tend to just treat themselves as victims of circumstance with no agency.

>You can't fix internal issues with external changes
What if I'm sad because I wished it would stop raining, so I move to a hotter country?

It's fun to read if you're still a teenager, but it's not really good in terms of prose, plot, themes, characterization, or anything like that. If you're into shitty chuuni LNs/manga (like I was, back when I read this), then you'll most likely enjoy it.

4 years for dealing Hash...I know...shits gonna be legal in my life & I served time for the resin of a harmless plant ..

If you are younger than 18 years old and have not read serious lit before, yes absolutely it is a fantastic YA book. Otherwise, no please don’t entertain Dumas he’s a massive pseud and the plot doesn’t warrant the length at all.

It was fantastic, but a bit overwritten. I'd say the abridged version would be good. I really did enjoy it though.

It's excessively long, not particularly profound, has unremarkable prose and the long Italian travelogue section is nothing but painful to read. That said, it has its moments. If you're especially interested, you might as well read it but if you're only interested because you heard about the revenge or you want to read a classic or a Dumas, look elsewhere.

It's a popular book so of course Veeky Forums hates it.

>flick the bean to
That's why I circumcized my daughters.