What are some books I should read if I want my mind to be blown and to look at the universe in a different way?

What are some books I should read if I want my mind to be blown and to look at the universe in a different way?

Try and keep the fiction to a minimum. I want something that's related to philosophy, spirituality, science/math, etc.

Attached: 1466265676088.jpg (2343x3000, 1.71M)

Other urls found in this thread:

markmanson.net/7-books
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hamlet's Mill: An Essay Investigating the Origins of Human Knowledge and Its Transmission Through Myth by Giorgio Santillana

Das Kapital

Mein Kampf

das kapital is a must.

But mein kampf is just the first "young adult" fan fiction of an angry dude. It's just so empty, not even being written by Hitler gives any interest to it.

Be gone juden. No one is falling for your tricks anymore.

"the society of thee spectacle", "simulacra", etc

Plato. You'll find out just how much we take for granted his influence on Western culture.

Culture of Critique

Origin of conscious and the breakdown of the bicameral mind
beelzebubs tales to his grandson
the fame of a dead mans deeds
the years of lyndon johnson
the myth of the machine

Beautiful painting I have a poster of this in my room. I used to like Diogenes teachings, I love Allegory of the Cave, lots of good Marcus Aurelius quotes. I really like the Falun Dafa book, Legend of Gilgamesh/Sumerian mythology. Buddhist noble truths and 8-fold path, various telling like Guan-yin stories. I have a book called "Book of Equanimity" of Zen koans that is really nice. Obviously Tao te Ching, I like Panditavagga: The Wise. Stories about Babaji and Kriya Yoga, Gospels of Thomas

You have to go back
>>>/reddit/

Jordan Peterson's Maps of Meaning

Book of Zhuangzi.
Anatomy of Melancholy
Montaigne's Essays
The Tao Te Ching
Appearance and Reality
The Upanishads

Hi JIDF

Unironically Being and Time

Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle series.

It taught me to see the beauty in everyday life and helped transition me out of my manchild phase into my adult phase. I'm ready to have a kid now, I think.

Attached: in_decay.jpg (1200x1200, 381K)

The brothers karamasov
The origins of conciousness
Men without women
The stranger
The trial
Metamorphosis
South of the border west of the sun

Then go watch synecdoche new York

Max Tegmark - Our Mathematical Universe

Attached: our mathematical universe.jpg (1525x2339, 503K)

Interesting choice of putting Burton there. Care to elaborate why?

change in a day is seldom possible if not impossible. You need to belong to something to change in any significant way.

Haven't read it but could be into it. Why would it be that staggering?

origin of consciousness *

How old are you. Serious question.

Read TIGER by J. Evola
Will make you depressed

this

Attached: 19506.jpg (304x475, 26K)

This really is a good one, but I'd choose Peter Sloterdijk's Bubbles. If liked then go on and read Globes and Foam.

This, and then move on to Nietzsche to realize there is no good or evil, just strong wills and weak wills.

Revolt Against the Modern World

Yeah, that book seriously put me in a bad mood for about a month. One of the harshest reads ever. I had to put it down, but I'll come back to it in the future.

How Emotions Are Made by Barrett. It ruined me and I had to stop writing until I finished reading it

good thread, bitches

More seriously, I recommend reading Julius Evola. Although some of his ideas are hyper controversial and perhaps untenable, it was hard for me to see the world the same after reading some of his essays. You develop such a distaste for modernity that you won't be able to function the same. At the same time, you get a sense of hope, a very fascistic brand of hope. He'll instill in you a manfulness, a taste for asceticism, a Cossack-like disposition. You'll feel like one of the Huns in a modern body.

Recommendations for things to read by him and an order please

It's difficult to put an order to his works because they're all somewhat interconnected. He makes more sense the more you read him. So just start with the one which grabs your attention most. His most important works are: 1.) Revolt Against the Modern World (perhaps his most in depth explication of his philosophy) 2.) Ride the Tiger (targeted more for young people on how they can continue on in modernity with their traditionalist disposition) and 3.) Men Among the Ruins (more of his general philosophy in a post-war meditation).

To me, he is one of the most fearless thinkers of the 20th century. He pretty much goes after all the dominant ideas leading up and in the 20th century, including fascism even though he was considered part of them.

Another interesting book you could read by him is A Handbook for Right-Wing Youth. There are a few interesting essays in there though it's not the best collection (he didn't put this book together, some Hungarian did, I think).

seriously? im gonna end up reading it eventually, why is it so depressing?

Basically, the "if you only knew how bad things really are" memes sum up why. You get a sense of how twisted everything is.

Attached: 1496086515432.png (421x460, 252K)

If you're ready to be initiated into the darkness, then read it. If you want continue having normal relationships with people and fit in and be cool, then don't read it.

I never expected to see this book posted on Veeky Forums and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised, not a bad pick.

You might as well kill yourself now instead of wasting so much time to reach the same conclusion.

The cover for this is intriguing me. Can I get a quick rundown on what the basic gist of this is?

A Thousand Years of Non-Linear History.

Had a moment reading it where I unironically felt like it could change the world. Then I fell asleep, and woke up.

Attached: A-Thousand-Years-of-Nonlinear-History.jpg (600x600, 56K)

agreed

Attached: 1509065395749.jpg (596x557, 55K)

damn, i read the description of that work and it made me feel like a brainlet. Definitely haven't reached that kind of "power level" yet, might tackle it in a few years lol

go back to where you came from bug

looks like total bullshit user

Isbt My Struggle the same as Mein Kampf?

>Then go watch synecdoche new York
aka virgin cuck: the movie

>Says no one is falling for Jewish trickery
>Also says Jews secretly control the world, tricking everyone but a select few.
Be gone poltard. No one is falling for your autism anymore

>getting depressed from a book
t. brainlet

Just drop acid but dont fall for any newage crap

>ctrl f: Critique of Pure Reason, First Critique
>0 results

Schopenhauer, on Kant:
"It seems to me, in fact, as indeed has already been said by others, that the effect these writings produce in the mind to which they truly speak is very like that of the operation for cataract on a blind man..."

Attached: kant3.jpg (300x300, 19K)

The Selfish Gene by Dawkins. For someone who was not very interested in natural sciences during the high school, this book has been a revelation. I ended up doing a whole year of behavioural biology during my undergrad. It is a great intro into the field but you need to read more serious publications as a follow up.
Chaos by James Gleick. It is just mind blowing. I stopped meditating after reading it.

fucking brainlet nigger

Schopenhauer was already mentioned in this thread, and he basically just further develops the Kantian system. Also it's actually readable, which can't be said of Kant.

>I stopped meditating after reading it.
Care to explain why? Benefits of meditation are very well-documented.

Kant is absolute fucking garbage.

The only thing that can radically shift the way in which your consciousness perceives both itself and the reality around you is with psychedelic substances.

LSD or Mushrooms, in particular.

Attached: 1519846860067.jpg (2610x4000, 3.73M)

Schopenhauer says that an understanding of Kant is absolutely necessary to understand him.

t. butthurt Thomist

>Schopenhauer says that an understanding of Kant is absolutely necessary to understand him.
Yes, but that doesn't mean you actually need to read any of Kant's work because he couldn't write for shit. Get some secondary literature or watch lectures on him. Someone uninitiated in philosophy will not understand a single word of what the man wrote.

Anyone who believes he understands Kant without ever even reading him is lying to himself. Taking from the source of the ideas is worth trudging through the mire of Kant's interminable prepositional swamp.

Schelling is the true prerequisite for understanding Schopenhauer, even though he'd never admit it

That's a really nice painting.

On the subject of drugs, The Doors of Perception is quite a read worthy essay on the subject on drug use and how it affect you perceive reality.

I want the same as OP but in fiction, what should I read? preferably something not in lit top 100 for I have already read many of those

Any good book if you focus enough tbqh

OY VEY! Let's get this poltard goys -er- boys!

this

shit album

Will Durant, The Story of Civilization series. That is some good food right there.

Thank you very much for your feedback.
1) I've shared the books which I found to be interesting and thought-provoking when I first read them.
2) I did not say that OP should read these books or that these books constitute perfect human knowledge.
My question is what is the purpose of your low-effort posting ( you did not criticise the above-mentioned books in any way) and ad hominem attack on an anonymous user?

Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger.

Why? It's just a bland description of trench warfare from what I've heard

Spinoza

Nietzsche Beyond Good And Evil

did you rub your hands after clicking "post"?

>not getting depressed from a book
t. brainlet

Nick Land, not even ironic.

Nice to see this mentioned here. Great introduction to Deleuze.

What life altering things have you discovered on psychedelics?

Kybalion

What in it made you stop meditating?
Meditating is certainly something that can blow one's mind but you have to do more than just read a book for that to happen.

The stranger wasnt necessary reading but it makes for a good story.

Do comics count? Because there's a webcomic about law (lawcomic.net) whose author probably doesn't even realize it, but it strips away the lies we tell ourselves to tell us how the rules of life really work. And how they fail.
He seems to genuinely love the law, but my god what he's written so far is a blast of cold unforgiving truth cutting the mythology of America to shreds. The more you read, the harder it is to take. I cannot wait to see what comes next.

I don't think the comfort with yourself and your direction in life that comes with feeling you're ready to have a kid is quite what OP was looking for.

Of course fucking Veeky Forums would recommend and worship the literal king of edgelords.

Might is Right

Revolt Agents the Modern World

Mein Kampf

Brave New World

Attached: Might_is_right.jpg (209x277, 62K)

Neuropath

what you're looking for is the destruction of your adolescent ego. Onlyspreading your knowledge base as wide as possible and forgetting everything you thought you know can do this. then you can build yourself in the world's image

Stop being such a sad meme. You won't understand Evola with only one book, let alone Revolt. Understanding his thought takes reading several of his works. People like you make him look bad. Good thing he already predicted your behaviour decades ago.

Attached: 1520361522469.jpg (1024x642, 95K)

There is a guide floating around, perhaps someone will post it

THIS

>dude psilocybin lmao
Good goy

The elegant universe by brian greene.

l
l
l >
l
l 3
l
l

Just finished it recently and yes that is partially true. I feel like it's a very layered book whether or not Junger intended it to be. From a military leader perspective, there's actually a lot of practical information to gather but there's also the exploration of the what lies behind his straight forward accounts. The mindset of the soldiers, nationalism, warrior spirits, and just realizing how much of a meat grinder that war was. It's recommended so much because it's such a raw account of the war and you are left to make your own conclusions.

Emerson's Nature essay

My diary desu

Das Kapital is just an overlong autistic analysis of 19th century capitalism and its vague "prophecies" are the only reason it's still read. You'd get just as much out of it by reading an article length summary.

The Ego and His Own

Will reading Evola actually change anyone's mindset? Or is it just an extra push for those whom already agree with him? It seems like the latter.

Fuck this, Peterson is low level shit.
If you want to be blown away read Joseph Campbell. He and Jung are really the originators of everything valuable Peterson has to say. I have to say, it's a lot more powerful from the source.

markmanson.net/7-books