Book thread

book thread

Attached: 612FVd615aL.jpg (375x500, 68K)

>Kunt Vonneturd

It was pretty okay, I thought it'd be darker considering its title. I liked the war bits and the alien bits.

what's the deal with the tits? they feel out of place, don't get me wrong I like tits, but not like this.

*breasts

breakfast of champions was one of the worst books i've ever read, i couldn't see anything other than kurt vonnegut smugly smiling to himself as he polished off yet another line of banal "social commentary", you can just tell how clever he thought he was

funbags*

this sounds like something he would say about himself

*milkies

people who know they're not actually clever or self-aware, but have yet to truly fathom the depths to which this is true, thinking themselves merely normally so, are the worst type of authors

How come people here shit on this book so much?

General question: how likely am I to get jipped when buying a used book on eBay described as being in Very Good condition?

I just bought a used copy of Man and His Symbols because it was a cool edition and really cheap. Is it gonna be a trashed copy?

Shouldn't there be a picture of the said book in the ad?
The person you're buying it from should have at least a few good reviews and no bad ones btw

they said their camera was broke and they werent able to upload a photo. no reviews either, says they joined in february of this year

Idk he gave it a "C" when he graded his books, as opposed to SH5 being an A i think. But yeah that shit was pretty obnoxious.

It was one of those large company sellers, so it used a stock photo. Knowing my luck its gonna be a fucked up copy so i'll probably have to return it.

>Veeky Forums
>book thread
Get out.

Definitely not my favorite Vonnegut. Try Bluebird, final book, great story indeed.

shouldn't they all be

Vonnegut got me into lit, so he will always have a place in my heart, but as some other anons pointed out it does feel sort of smug. A lot of his less popular books, like Slapstick, for instance just feel like they're not well developed and he's striving to pull some insightful quips out of a story that's not quite there.

That being said, you are absolutely correct, Bluebeard is by far his best book. Story is there, has the sharp, funny little quips he is known for and it all wraps up nicely.

I almost got a "So it goes" tattoo once. So thankful I did not do this or get any tattoos for that matter.

Read The Sirens of Titan -- it's his second book, before he got head-heavy, and actually has a compelling story.

Mother Night is also good

Sirens of titan is easily a top 10. Amazing book.

Agreed. My personal favourite.

It is good, but my fave is still Cat's Cradle

Attached: von12.jpg (319x400, 26K)

I read this because it was a gift and I didn't really enjoy it.

It was a decidedly 6/10 book. I certainly would never read another of his works unless it were a gift

yeah I agree although I didn't find it smug, I found it condescending. However, I think it's because that kind of social commentary is kinda played out and you hear it all the time. Had I read that book before being exposed to all that, I might've found it more palatable.

All the other bits are pretty good though, it's kind of entertaining how he clearly did not give a fuck while writing it and added in all those meta elements.

One of the few books I've read that I loathed.

>so it goes
>so it goes
>so it goes
>so it goes
>so it goes
>so it goes
>so it goes
>so it goes

Although I'm sure Vonnegut believed what he was writing, and wasn't doing this social commentary ironically, I think he knows it's over the top.
The book is full of of jokes about America and American society, many of which I think are pretty funny, but Vonnegut knows it's more about him than it is America. That's why the book zooms in on Vonnegut by the end. He Thinks American society is fucked, but realizes the bigger problem to him is himself, not some failing of America.
He calls himself out by having a character say something to him along the lines of "I don't think this is a very good book you're writing." he agrees and then is told "you're afraid you'll kill yourself like your mother did." and he agrees again.
I love BoC.

I always take Vonnegut with a grain of salt. You have to remember he hated himself just as much, if not more, than the society he wrote against. I took his books as a pretty well articulated rendition of his feelings rather than a social statement I should take to heart.
I try to leave my politics and philosophy out of my judgement when I read, and just try to enjoy the prose and the mindset rather than the political statement.

How old do you have to be for "loathed" to be an acceptable word to use in casual conversation?

Open poll

Older than 18, apparently.

How old do you have to be to think you need an age to use certain words and not base it on the context.

Younger than 18, apparently

My niggas
I read all of Sirens of Titan waiting for my car to be repaired. Shit repair job, great book.

How old do you have to be to answer how old do you have to be?

lol u lick