Do you view yourself as "above other people" because you read books?

Do you view yourself as "above other people" because you read books?

Attached: 1519329392580.png (793x438, 395K)

nope
fuck off FBI

Yes. Especially STEMweenies
\thread

not until I get rich

I feel constantly beneath people, actually. Because I've never read enough and I compare my writing to that of my favorite authors.

Kinda not really
I'm spending my time reading and they're all out with friends, doing cool things, and having fun
Not that reading isn't fun to me, but still.

In my town/people I know, it makes me feel slightly intellectually superior. However what's the purpose of being the smartest cat in a alley full of dogs? No one here cares

this

Not really. 'Book' isn't important, 'content' is. Veeky Forums generally does, however, which is why you routinely see them """"discuss"""" with arrogance and smugness, things which they know nothing of. It seems their interests and education instill a sense of empty knowing. Wherein they're basically poorly educated but pretend they are something beyond notions of educated. Veeky Forums can barely discuss things as they pertain to literature, let alone anything that slightly verges beyond. It is laughable, even, when there is a linguistic-related thread here. Which you would think they'd have some basic knowledge of or interest in. Yet they don't even understand what graphemes and phonemes are. They can't do anything outside of reading some pathetic formulaic fiction. Won't even consider deeper study of said fiction. Veeky Forums and their ilk are unbelievably ignorant, yet someone retain the popular notion that they're above the world. I think this is ultimately an issue of non-STEM """""""""people""""""", AKA pretend-educated, existing in general. Pic related.

Attached: diff.jpg (970x1006, 249K)

No, I'm one of the most humblest people I've met actually.

Nobody gives a shit about books nowadays, so no.

Reading is basically a niche, "weirdo", hobby like watching anime.

It's hard to know because I only became interested in literature in high school. I have considered myself above others since elementary school. I briefly acted stupid on purpose in college to fit in better, once that was over I was back on top, looking down at the plebs once again.

>is butthurt because people read books

You understand there exists mathematical....LITERATURE...right?

Nah, intellectualism is so stupid. I read literature because I like it, not because I want to be smarter or superior than the others.

Attached: images.jpg (257x196, 7K)

Mostly yes, but not because other people don't read. It's because they're stupid (and not reading is sometimes a manifestation of it)

I'm studying applied math and probably reading more than you, faggot.

I've met people who love literature, that doesn't read. It's verging on a hyperbole, but arts are still appreciated, just not engaged in. At least for normies. So when I come in with relatively little knowledge I seem some sort of genius to them. And I come on here, and get called a brainlet. Keeps me grounded honestly.

Also
>t. fairly attractive Norwegian in Norway (land of mediocrity)

No, because we all read books, here, in the great university of oxford.

>So when I come in with relatively little knowledge I seem some sort of genius to them. And I come on here, and get called a brainlet. Keeps me grounded honestly.

ttbqh

>applied

Attached: IMG_1798.jpg (566x562, 57K)

Define "above other people"

Anyone who hasn't asked that question of OP before answering is below me.

honestly i don't real get the importance of reading particular fiction works, though I had always interested in philosophy though never really spends time keenly studying it.

I do try to fit in and buy YA and Stephen King, but the writing never really get me to actually keep reading.

everything starts to change when I read Thomas Ligotti's The Last Feast of Harlequins. The prose and the story is beyond everything that I ever encountered before (my environment and culture never have a good influence on philosophy or 'so-called good' literature).

After that I discover Dostoevsky and the rest is history.

It is very interesting how good writing able to describe the nuance of life, feelings, etcetera, and what it is to be a human, in a manner that is so elegant and faultless. Like things that you understood when you watch films by Bresson, Bergman or Tarkovsky. It's poetic, beautiful, yet verily dense with meaning. Like someone open a door allowing you to visit and experiencing the different world and different life, like the ones that they're experiencing.

>So back to OP, Do you view yourself as "above other people" because you read books?

My answer is yes. I think people who don't read (esp. classic literature) missing out so many things in life. It's like a whole different world out there.

(Another analogy would be like, if you watched films but you haven't seen A Brighter Summer Day, Wild Strawberries, or Diary of a Country Priest, it's like you really haven't seen much of anything.)

applied math is heavily inferior in comparison to pure math.

what a splendid human bean, congrats, dickhead

this guy gets it

Yes, but just you OP

No, I view myself as above other people because they're wimps. Gimme your lunch money nerd.

Attached: wojak_tfw.jpg (506x608, 49K)

Please see

I SAID GIMME YOUR LUNCH MONEY

Attached: pepeenough.jpg (400x388, 19K)

Yes. I am a philosopher-king with objectively higher value than a plebeian. I don’t just think I’m above other people, I KNOW I am. I have nothing but disdain and contempt for the normie who spends its time clubbing, watching GoT, or at BEST reading inane genre fiction like Harry Potter. I am operating on a plane of reality they couldn’t even conprehend.

Is that what you wanted to hear OP?

Attached: D8601DBA-9698-4A62-B203-087BADF7617A.jpg (400x462, 29K)

No, but I do occasionally get disappointed when I talk to someone who says they love reading but they only plow through beach readers.

>Girl comes up to me while I'm waiting for someone
>Oh, you like reading? Me too. What are you reading?
>Start describing book, she grows visibly uncomfortable and writes down the names of several books that she says I'll like.
>Look them up when I go home, they're all either conspiracy theory books or Mormon propaganda.

>user, I love reading! Have you read [insert popular children's/YA novel]?

>user, what's that book about?
>Brief overview of the history of mathematics.
>That's so... studious of you. I like crime novels and romances.

>user, you read a lot. Are you a vegetarian?

Attached: ghost town.jpg (960x716, 146K)

Yes its the perfect coping mechanism for an otherwise failed life.

The worst part is when you describe a book, but the other person has no idea where to start so they just ask you "is it good?" and you give up and say "yeah", thus ending the conversation.

>What's that book about?
>A guy who spent 20+ years living in the woods in solitude reintegrating into human society.
>Okay.
>Long silence, then he walks away.
>Later comes back and asks me how I feel about the Percy Jackson series.

At least they're trying, I guess.

no, i feel sometimes reading makes me less social despite reading to learn more about people so i can be more social

>that pic
>Tell me more about the sociological impacts of religion Tyson

>le negro
kek

only to those who are incredibly arrogant (most of them happened to be stemfags, who knew!)

I view myself as above other people because I write them.

I don't read books.
>above other people
No. Those whom I hold human are those above me.

Midwit: The Thread: The Board

You sound like someone pretending to be smart.

Yes, but I probably wouldn't if I wasn't so insecure.

Not 'above' other people but I certainly regard myself as more fortunate for having the capacity to appreciate an entire medium that they happen to shun.

I get far more of a kick out of encouraging others to be Veeky Forums than I do from a smug sense of pseudo-intellectual superiority

Attached: 1519421380956.jpg (326x294, 34K)

You've butchered the original, cretin.

Attached: IMG_1660.jpg (1460x1006, 365K)