What does Veeky Forums think of this?
wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations

Some favorites:
>Flaubert, Joyce, Borges, Melville, Shakespeare, Proust, Milton

BTFO:
>Dostoevsky, Camus, Faulkner, Henry James, Mann, Marx
>Sartre and Pound eternally BTFO

Attached: IMG_2542.jpg (220x298, 30K)

Anyone ever noticed how Nabby basically writes like a really eloquent Trump?
>Dislike him. Second-rate, ephemeral, puffed-up. A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me. Awful.
This is literally something I could see Trump saying during one of the republican debates

Love his writing but dude's a douche

At least he's right about Brecht.

damn Nabokov really is the GOAT

Not the first time I come across this list but it bugs me that the majority of his "opinions" are copy-pasted.

?Gogol, Nikolai. Nobody takes his mystical didacticism seriously. At his worst, as in his Ukrainian stuff, he is a worthless writer; at his best, he is incomparable and inimitable. Loathe his moralistic slant, am depressed and puzzled by his inability to describe young women, deplore his obsession with religion.

Attached: nabokov.png (638x779, 35K)

>Nobody takes his reactionary journalism seriously.

lmao

His love of H.G. Wells is surprising, I never expected him to like someone like that.

>tfw my favorites are Dosto, Mann and Faulkner

Attached: 97649CCB-5B59-443E-A27B-63F90DD400B6.png (550x535, 198K)

Entertaining but limited, though he has a few really good recs (Hellens, Bely, Ilf and Petrov, Yury Olesha, Zoshchenko). But to each his own

>nothing about steinbeck
not sure if this is better or worse than verbal slaughter

Attached: 8B70402B-393C-4869-935B-A9FA11C8750E.png (1000x1000, 60K)

Like an adult Trump with an adult brain.

Mann? Who likes Mann? He basically wrote Lolita for faggots aka Death in Venice.

>The Magic Mountain
>Doctor Faustus
>The Buddenbrooks
all 10/10

Nabokov, Vladimir - Awful. Nobody takes his recommendations seriously. Dreadful.

There is a line in Pnin that literally ends in ". Sad!"

It's like a human Trump.

being like Trump is a very bad thing. How can you not see how harmful he is to the country with his hateful rhetoric and transparent avarice

Nabokov said that Dostoyevsky wrote "elephantine platitudes." His opinion can be safely discarded.

those are quotes taken out of context from different interviews over the years

lmao, beautiful

Wells was a legitimately great story teller, he could write in any genre and make it amazing

he was write, the whole redemption arc in the ending of Crime and Punishment is ridiculous

right*

Nabokov was a puffed-up, perverted fuck who wrote the most pretentious prose of the 20th century. None of his literary opinions are worth taking seriously.

lol, did he insult your favourite writer?

>Second-rate, ephemeral, puffed-up.

Going to have to start using this line when shitposting

reddit reddit redditors

kill yourselves

>In Search of Lost Time. The first half is the fourth-greatest masterpiece of 20th-century prose.

lmao I love his absolute precision in these matters

Dnabovof

>Jeb Bush? Dislike him. A formidable mediocrity.
>Bernie Sanders? Dislike him. A cheap sensationalist, clumsy and vulgar. A prophet, a claptrap politician and a slapdash rhetorician. Some of his rallies are extraordinarily amusing. Nobody takes his progressive rabblerousing seriously.

and hitlery clit-on?

I have never ever met a person that doesnt like Dostoevsky, if i even meet one ill call him a retard for sure

A genius. One would have liked to film her twitching in stroke in her car.

A favorite between the ages of 8 and 41. Essentially a politician for very young people. Certainly inferior to Bill Clinton and Franklin Roosevelt. Intolerable souvenir-shop style, feminist clichés. Nothing I would care to have said myself. In mentality and emotion, hopelessly juvenile. Unfeeling in the large sense. Slightly bogus. A cruel and crude old woman.

>Slightly bogus.

Attached: 1500876049639.jpg (888x888, 128K)

i kinda love this nabokov style shitposting

gay meme for a gay lord

It's a shame he didn't get to experience the horrors of Stephen King.

Slightly bogus

>hateful rhetoric
What hateful things has he said? He's brash and a bully on Twitter but this sounds like accusing someone of wrongthink.

Hahaha all these Krauts he BTFOs

I think he meant obnoxious.

Why did he hate Freud/psychoanalysis so much?

>No mention of Goethe
Was Nabokov a pleb?

Muh aesthetics

Wallace, David Foster. Lucidity of thought, purity of poetry. A man of infinite talent.

The Freudians at the time were a different breed than the ones today, they were a clownish mafia and deserved derision

>Goethe
A non-entity. Means nothing to me

>Gogol, Nikolai. Nobody takes his mystical didacticism seriously. At his worst, as in his Ukrainian stuff, he is a worthless writer; at his best, he is incomparable and inimitable. Loathe his moralistic slant, am depressed and puzzled by his inability to describe young women, deplore his obsession with religion.

'inability to describe young women'. What did nabby mean by this?

kys

Pound's Cantos is objectively superior to anything Nabokov has ever done

Yea, that was overdone by Dosto the romantic, but I can't see how that part's inferiority connects with the whole "platitudes" dismissal.

Elaborate

His work was too disconnected from believable life. He was fixated on their ludicrous extremes of pathologies believing himself to be profound but in reality they were endlessly juvenile.

Even John Shade's poem is superior to The Cantos.

What the hell happened to Veeky Forums? Has summer come already?

>Pound
Who?

I fail to see how being focussed on those things in any way makes him a bad writer.

Pound is a hack

Nice.
Eh, some of them. He's shit either ways. He was the greatest pleb of the 20th century. His only talent was memorizing weird words from the dictionary (and then, using them in pretentious and obviously forced ways).

>obnoxious
Well that is pretty subjective. I think he's fucking hilarious myself but with a very brash manner which I know really rubs some people the wrong way, I mean he is a bighead and a loudmouth but plenty of great comedians are.

>Brooke, Rupert. A favorite between the ages of 20 and 40, but no longer.

what happened after 40?

This is coming from the guy who thought "The Double" was Dostoyevsky's greatest work.
Man is just trolling.

>having your own taste is trolling

How?
Nabokov is not being consistent in his critique of Dostoyevsky, the Double is by far the weakest in terms of prose and the most boring in terms of psychological insight.
Nabokov probably read somewhere that Dostoyevsky called it a failure and hence decided to praise it to satisfy his contrarian ego.

Nabokov has no idea how to create an overall scene, and his books are so obviously thinly veiled memories. You read three of his books, and it’s like reading the exact same fucking thing over and over again. Honestly can’t stand him as a writer, he’s like nuanced Stephen King, except he can only write about butterflies and perverted Slavs.

t. buttblasted Dosto fan

>nabokov is a contrarian

What is with this meme? His favorite authors are all some of the most highly acclaimed in literature

Nah, can’t stand Russian authors in general. They’re all so obsessed with Russia and Russian “culture.”

Wow, almost like they're Russian or something

This but for Murifag authors.

Shakespeare and Chaucer aren’t pondering England every five seconds. The only equivalent I can think of, is US “western” genre writers.

>Shakespeare and Chaucer aren’t pondering England every five seconds

Shakespeare very much does actually. I won't speak for Chaucer since he was a bloated children's writer

>Shakespeare very much does
>most famous works aren’t even set in England, besides the Henriad.

using prison rape terminology on an online mental asylum advocating for a pedophile’s sick minded critiques of his peers

disgraceful

And Nabokov wasn't? Yeah, right.

Not literally but if you think when Hamlet is talking shit about Denmark Shakespeare is actually concerned with Danish culture you're deluded

Nabokov doesn't care about representing 'real life', he's a 100% aesthete

In any case Nabokov was just a kooky aristocrat, his own writing doesn't matter in the truth of his criticisms

If he doesn’t care at all why is he then critiquing Dostoyevsky for not being believable enough?

>when Hamlet is talking shit about Denmark
What? Did you read the emoji version or something?

No but I did actually read it. Do you not recall the "Denmark is a prison" speech?

"This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,--
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England."

Fuck you, you pleb. Shakespeare loved England.

Anyways, Nabokov was more obsessed with France and America than Russia.

I know right, I can't believe this guy read him

"nabby"
this is now Canon

Line about England from a book about an English ruler is the equivalent to characters discussing the state of Russia every other conversation? Oh geez

I mean they don't but whetever

>Borges: A favorite. How freely one breathes in his marvelous labyrinths! Lucidity of thought, purity of poetry. A man of infinite talent.

>Robbe-Grillet: Great. A favorite. How freely one breathes in his marvelous labyrinths! Lucidity of thought, purity of poetry. Magnificently poetical and original.

Go back to LoL, brainlet.

Problem?

Nabokov just memorized shit using his favorite words from the dictionary. Watch his interviews, he literally would either read from something or say something obviously memorized. It's embarrassing. Hence, his repetition, probably had been saving that one and accidentally used it twice.

>How freely one breathes in his marvelous labyrinths!

Attached: 2B169ECD-1A9A-42C1-8874-273CABBBA57A.jpg (272x272, 16K)

Well, Nabokov already uses "corncobby" in his description of Faulkner...

>rich af
>famous af
>thounds of bitches
>literally orange
>manly
>many kids all them successfull
>IQ of 150
>literally make lost weight some fatroasties
You have to go back, faggot

Attached: 1428253303900.jpg (299x299, 20K)

He was a man of great intellect, he had no time to expend his mind on thinking of off the cuff statement to the vulterous pickings of the press

Not really. I also thought I remembered reading he'd used the same "marvelous labyrinths" bit talking about Butor.

It's because he was talking about both of them at once. The guy who made the link in the OP wrote it off from different parts.
You guys are fucking dumb.