The soul is *not* a smithy

>The soul is *not* a smithy

What is this Protestant horseshit?

Attached: image.jpg (748x842, 134K)

Other urls found in this thread:

themillions.com/2018/03/david-foster-wallace-david-lynch-and-the-horror-of-neuroscience.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

user, this has been bugging me for a few weeks now too, since I finished Portrait.

The quote he's referencing is "to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race."

Right. So are we to draw a connection between that and the short story—being disgusted by a Catholic movie & the teacher's conscience snapping and stating the obvious (remember the KILL THEM KILL THEM ALL is directed at the government not the kids)? Or is DFW namedropping and it's empty memeing?

Attached: image.jpg (620x447, 42K)

wo-n duffan - peakish
it enth squindartix
por fan yogmanta
allforsayth
mine winken
dom olf turning paj

Joyce didn't hang himself, I'll point that much out

He's saying that, romantic and heroic and Nietzschean notions aside, the soul isn't just something you can work on impersonally, inhumanly, subjecting it to all sorts of suffering and torture to refine it to something higher. He's saying, no, the soul is not a smithy, it's not something mechanical like that to be heartlessly worked upon. It's something which can break down through constant and subtle pressure. Childhood traumas don't make us stronger, they damage us. Constant stress, pressure, and tension won't refine us like we're a sculpture, it'll just crush our souls. Compare this to the teacher breaking down and the childhood trauma(s) the main character clearly underwent.

that’s bullshit and Niezsche believed in wills which are becomings not souls which are beings you illiterate

>Nietzschelet enters the thread

I'm sure there's a Peterson thread that needs you friend

>is a feeb
>someone points out you have no idea what you’re talking about
>thinks anyone who reads Nietzsche sincerely would be a christfaggot or a jungian idealist
jump into some razor wire for me user

thats the way wallace is taking it,
but joyce is saying the soul is the place where you do the forging of art,
or (literally) that it is his soul that is doing the forging. The soul recurs in Portrait as physical images, culminating in the bird-girl scene of chapter 4, as something that is almost separate from Stephen, but still a part of him (like Peter Pan's shadow)

First, I'm not saying I agree with Wallace. Second, I said Nietzschean, meaning, Nietzsche-like, having to do with Nietzsche's ideas and how they've been interpreted or misinterpreted and the general aura they're imbued with. Your idiot post is the equivalent of as if I used the word "Darwinistic" to describe certain cynical ideas and you said, "B-but Darwin believed in God and didn't want his ideas to be interpreted that way!" Third, you're a faggot.

>thinks anyone who reads Nietzsche sincerely
You have to love the pathetic duplicitousness of Nietzchlets who will when it suits them declare the non-existence of truth and then throw such sentimental platitudes around like "sincere readings"
Your pet thinker is a joke, a puffed-up genre writer. Much like yourself

take it easy, nabokov

Incidentally, passages from Nietzsche like this are what I was referring to:

"Why so hard?" the kitchen coal once said to the diamond. "After all, are we not close kin?'
Why so soft? O, my brothers, thus I ask you: are you not after all my brothers?
Why so soft, so pliant and yielding? Why is there so much denial, self-denial, in your hearts? So little destiny in your eyes?
And if you do not want to be destinies and inexorable ones, how can you one day triumph with me.
And if your hardness does not wish to flash and cut and cut through, how can you one day create with me?
For all creators are hard. And it must seem blessedness to you to impress your hand on millennia as on bronze-harder than bronze, nobler than bronze. Only the noblest is altogether hard.
This new table, O my bothers, I place over you: become hard!

Also
>being this autistic about the word "soul" when it's a clear shorthand for the mixture of emotions and thoughts we call the self, and even Nietzsche casually uses it at times

Nietzchlets haven't even read Nietzsche, they just presume the most dislikeable thing they can say in any moment must be his position

Welp you exposed yourself as having never read Portrait. Stay pleb.

Attached: image.jpg (459x471, 63K)

Everyone listen to this guy: He ACTUALLY & TRULY understands Nietzsche—he knows this because he FEELS it!!!!

Attached: image.jpg (255x151, 17K)

>can't discuss Joyce or Wallace
>babbles incoherently about Nietzsche
>A-are they buying it? Do
I seem to 'get' it?
>Nope
>better double down

Attached: image.jpg (400x400, 26K)

>He's saying that, romantic and heroic and Nietzschean notions aside, the soul isn't just something you can work on impersonally, inhumanly
well, he was a positivist, why wouldn't he think that?

He's saying that the kids started off saying "moo cow" in their civics class and ended up working for an insurance company and reading aquinas

Read Portrait twice.
Have probably read more Nietzsche than you. In your effeminate stupid ramblings, you haven’t pointed out a single thing I’ve said wrong. It’s just childish insults and masturbating your ego.
I don’t know what you mean

>It’s just childish insults and masturbating your ego.

Are you describing them or Nietzsche's ouvre?

To clarify, DFW was clearly not responding to the book as a whole but the phrase itself. Jesus Christ, this board is dumb as hell. I’m also convinced this is one faggot samefagging at this point, I’ve seriously not said much controversial in my post and thought its meaning was clear.

>read portrait twice
You're lying. It's very easy to tell, kiddo.

>read more Nietzsche
What does that even mean? If you're commenting on it, I assume you've read all of it. Apparently you haven't...

This is a pretty dumb conversation to be honest but I have read Portrait, and I have read Nietzsche. As I said in it’s clear Wallace is using the phrase/image without referring to the whole book.

*unsheathes katana*
*ahem*
What can be asserted w/o evidence can be dismissed w/o evidence.

You've asserted that you're a dumb fraud, so let's just let that stand up there =)

Jeez you’re a cunt. What you’ve asserted (that I haven’t read it) also has no proof. So I’m gonna stop responding now

Nee-chee is shit though, an adult non-virgin can't read that drivel and take it seriously

That's not how Nietzsche is pronounced.

Yes its NEET-chay

This article
themillions.com/2018/03/david-foster-wallace-david-lynch-and-the-horror-of-neuroscience.html
argues that DFW's later fiction was characterized by a materialistic despair in the ability of people to truly change and direct themselves and their attention (to "forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race"), to sort of tune their consciousness towards something disciplined and meaningful as he suggests in This is Water, or to ever effectively and totally articulate how they feel. It's a very determinist disappointment in being a human being

The writer describes Oblivion in particular as "neurohorror" in that it concerns itself with the inescapable pain of being conscious and, IMO, having a mostly unchangeable defective personality. At one point DFW actually quotes Cioran, just to give you an insight into his state of mind at the time. Supposedly The Pale King was intended to be the antidote to this pessimism, but we all know how that worked out.

Anyways by saying the soul is not smithy the title seems to me to either express doubt that the conscience of DFW's race, Americans I guess, can be forged, or to say that its forging has to take place somewhere other than the soul, the individual self.

Also I wonder if its a sort of stealth pun, "the uncreated 'conscience' of my race," the narrator of course being totally unconscious in a literal sense of everything happening around him. So conscience not meaning necessarily a moral sense of right and wrong but just awareness in general, though I suppose DFW must have thought the two things to be very similar.

Attached: rare wallace.png (361x469, 348K)

Except I never said I liked him. I responded anyway lol

Don't you feel silly writing all of this? This is so far away from saying anything that anyone could possibly care about.

german here. for yankees, it's neet-chuh

Pathetic & inarticulate.

You think he put conscience & conscious together... As a stealth pun. As in:

Welcome, O life! I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience and to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscious of my race.

or: consciousness of my race.

Anyway, DFW was a clever robot at best. Oblivion is his masterpiece, with a few moments of having a soul at all—particularly the father in the piece we are discussing. Between this and TPK, it's the only honest look I've seen into corporate America in fiction. So in that sense, he in some ways surpassed DeLillo who has fallen into the trap of seeing everything as a writer.

I just mean pun as playing with a single word (conscience) to have multiple meanings, not similar sounding words. "Conscience" implies a certain degree of discipline and awareness, a conscientious person being an effective, attentive, and goal-oriented individual, along with the more used definition of a moral standard. In DFW I think they combine into the ability to direct one's attention, which is probably one of his most cherished and out of reach virtues.

I do somewhat agree with what you say about him being a clever robot. I like a ton of his writing but it often reads like a precocious sitcom writer on SSRIs and is seriously lacking in lyricism. There's more emotional engagement than DeLillo but less beauty

He's definitely one of the best contemporary American writers though, for whatever that's worth.

He was a schizophrenic fart sniffer, not exactly the paragon of mental health