Reading Group Brainstorming

We haven't had one in a bit. . .

Let's brainstorm some works we'd like to read and we can plan schedule, format, etc.

I suggest:
>Dante's Inferno
>Mason and Dixon
>Shakespeare work
>The Sound and the Fury

Attached: 1497053835634.jpg (420x450, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nybooks.com/articles/2017/01/19/antonio-di-benedetto-great-writer/
strawpoll.me/15316233
youtube.com/watch?v=TV3vT5nW_I4
libgen.io/foreignfiction/ads.php?md5=424f31e357e750fd36621d2595a1778b
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

+1 for M&D
I want to read it again.

Why would I want to read only the Inferno?

I just finished Sound and the Fury and M&D has been setting on my shelf for a while so I would choose that.

Unironically, Infinite Jest.

This could be interesting.
We'd read it book by book in case we lose momentum.

Probably too long for something like this. GR hardly held together.

>>Dante's Inferno
Too hard and long for Veeky Forums, the group wouldn't work.
>>Mason and Dixon
I have never read a Pynchon but as far as I know this isn't as hard as Pynchon's other works, it could work.
>>Shakespeare work
I guess the vast majority of people here have already read him
>>The Sound and the Fury
Too hard for Veeky Forums. The group would stop working once we get to the hard parts.
"No!"

My suggestions:
We could try something that is not really talked about here but it's interesting and very good nonetheless, like Pirandello's One no one and one hundred thousand or Gracq's the opposite shore.

You undermine Veeky Forums's powerlevel.

The Gravity's Rainbow group was pretty great and informative.

I do agree in some part for the "not-talked-about-a-lot" option

What books would you guys put on the table?

Zama by Antonio Di Benedetto

>One, no one and one hundred thousand
Vitangelo discovers by way of a completely irrelevant question that his wife poses to him that everyone he knows, everyone he has ever met, has constructed a Vitangelo persona in their own imagination and that none of these personas corresponds to the image of Vitangelo that he himself has constructed and believes himself to be. The reader is immediately immersed in a cruel game of falsifiying projections, mirroring the reality of social existence itself, which imperiously dictate their rules. As a result, the first, ironic "awareness" of Vitangelo consists in the knowledge of that which he definitely is not; the preliminary operation must therefore consist in the spiteful destruction of all of these fictitious masks. Only after this radical step toward madness and folly in the eyes of the world can Vitangelo finally begin to follow the path toward his true self
>The opposing shore
The great maritime state of Orsenna has long been lulled by settled peace and prosperity. It is three hundred years since it was actively at war with its traditional enemy two days' sail across the water, the savage land of Farghestan - a slumbering but by no means extinct volcano. The narrator of this story, Aldo, a world-weary young aristocrat, is posted to the coast of Syrtes, where the Admiralty keeps the seas constantly patrolled to defend the demarcation between the two powers still officially at war. His duties are to be the eyes and ears of the Signory, to report back any rumours of interest to the State. Goaded, however, by his mistress, Vanessa Aldobrandi, he takes a patrol boat across the boundary to within cannon-shot of the Farghestani coastal batteries. The age-old undeclared truce is no more than a boil ripe to be lanced.
>The sheltering sky by Paul Bowles
The story centers on Port Moresby and his wife Kit, a married couple originally from New York who travel to the North African desert accompanied by their friend Tunner. The journey, initially an attempt by Port and Kit to resolve their marital difficulties, is quickly fraught by the travelers' ignorance of the dangers that surround them.
>The bridge on the Drina by Ivo Andric
A great stone bridge built three centuries ago in the heart of the Balkans by a Grand Vezir of the Ottoman Empire dominates the setting of Ivo Andric's novel. Spanning generations, nationalities, and creeds, the bridge stands witness to the countless lives played out upon it: Radisav, the workman, who tries to hinder its construction and is impaled on its highest point; to the lovely Fata, who throws herself from its parapet to escape a loveless marriage; to Milan, the gambler, who risks everything in one last game on the bridge with the devil his opponent; to Fedun, the young soldier, who pays for a moment of spring forgetfulness with his life. War finally destroys the span, and with it the last descendant of that family to which the Grand Vezir confided the care of his bequest, the bridge.

Obviously all the synopses are copypasted since I'm too lazy to write

A general theory of oblivion - Jose Eduardo Agualusa. We need some african culture in this bitch

What about As I Lay Dying?

Could be neat

>The bridge on the Drina by Ivo Andric
My pick out of the 4

What is the goal of the reading group?
to finish?
to discuss?
to understand?

Notes from the Underground

Even if most people here have read it, it would still spark discussion precisely because of that: a second reading would be more helpful than reading it out of the blue.

Both of these would good picks. Haven't read As I Lay Dying but it sounds interesting
Would also be fun to go back through Notes with some anons

This. It's a hidden gem that was recently translated to English.

nybooks.com/articles/2017/01/19/antonio-di-benedetto-great-writer/

He was praised by Borges and more recently fictionalized by BolaƱo in the character Sensini.

BUMP
I'm waiting 7-8 hours (board is ded now) then I'll make a strawpoll with all the suggestions.
If you have any suggestion write it itt and I'll include in the poll.

Please, choose something, do not let democracy rule the book selection.

I don't have a tyrannical temperament and I'm sure that the gentlemen here at Veeky Forums will be more than capable of choosing a worthy piece of literature to read

I hope so too

BUMP
make your suggestions lads

short stories and novellas you fucking assholes

Do make a suggestion, swine

Anything by Manuel Puig

come join our literary group folks

Les Mis so I finally have an excuse to read it

if we made it to the end of les mis it would be quite the ebin feat

If I remember correctly the Monte Cristo group made it all the way to the end last year, so it's not impossible

hadji murad

Ulysses

last BUMP before I make the strawpoll

bump, I vote for M&D

All of the above.
And memes.

been jumping around a lot lately, dipped a toe into Mason& Dixon (approx. p.30)
would be glad to restart, it's spectacular

Attached: 1290875129845701928475011234.jpg (1200x806, 476K)

no

Alright bois here's the strawpoll. The deadline is 24 hours from now on and the day after tomorrow we'll start reading after having decided the schedule. I have included every suggestion ITT.
strawpoll.me/15316233

A bonus: youtube.com/watch?v=TV3vT5nW_I4

maybe that's too soon, user.

We should wait to see what book is chosen and then discuss when we can start, allocate online copies, etc.

>maybe that's too soon, user.
what do you propose user?

Like I said, let's see what book is chosen and we can then see how many people need it or plan a schedule.

Depending on what everyone says I think Wednesday is a good day, but it's up to the majority

okay, seems reasonable

i'm going to sleep somebody else please take care of the thread thanks

Sounds about right.

>fiction
Leave and never return.

Attached: p01yytnq.jpg (1200x675, 109K)

Read all those. I'm not reading all of Shakespeare again. For every Hamlet or Lear there's three plays that are dogshit.

Well in any case I'm sure you can contribute to discussion if you'd like.

On the poll there are plenty more works listed

You guys aim too high, start with a long essay or short story and work up to longer works once you have actual participants.

I disagree. We've done plenty of reading groups in the past through simply democracy's choice and have gotten right to it.

Why should we have to go through essays about the work? It's not a fucking class. That would take too long and nobody wants to do that. The point is to read the book and goof off/discuss/learn together.

To each their own, though

Catch-22

bump

Too late user

Looks like a close call between Mason ans Dixon and Zama.

Boys better vote

>>Shakespeare work
casting my vote for this

Why do you undermine Veeky Forums? There are people here who actually read on this board.

Looks like it'll be Mason and Dixon, although there's still time

bump

I'll also vote for Mason and Dixon, although I started reading it recently and just got to America.

Ideally, we should form a discord for this group so that it can exist even if it does on Veeky Forums

No. Discord.

If this group goes to discord I'm out

No IJ FeelsBadMan

1 guy in the world has heard of Zama, 20 votes... ohk - have fun with your reading "group" buddy

I told him democracy wouldn't work.

M&D had an 8 vote lead, I check an hour later and IJ/this other shit are at the top. Ooookay

OP, I'll say it again: we need you to be a dictator.

I was checking it every 30 minutes since it was posted, and it was definitely rigged, IJ is a troll, and the other guy well I mean if he really wants to read "the great american novel"* he should just do it
*written in argentina

Alright guys what the fuck is going on here?

Who the fuck rigged the votes
Why do you have to behave like savages

Choose the fucking book, that strawpoll is rigged af. Who would want to read that banana-nation novel

kek

Alright faggots since you guys are incapable of behaving like civilized people and since M&D was ahead before you rigged the poll we'll read M&D.

>Why do you have to behave like savages
You know this is Veeky Forums, right?

Bullshit, IJ is the clear winner behind the rigged macaco novel

it's happening

Attached: beaver.jpg (950x594, 161K)

Give epub pls

I support this

Bunch of noggers the lot of you
Idgaf
libgen.io/foreignfiction/ads.php?md5=424f31e357e750fd36621d2595a1778b

I forgot to say that I will make the thread for the reading group tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Nigga who do you think you are taking over my thread

What's good for you guys?
Is tomorrow actually good or do you need time?

Let's read Dostoyevski y'all

We need to read IJ, the legitimate winner of the poll.

Wait, so which book are we reading and when are we discussing?

bumping this thread so that somebody can link to the thread once it is started

can we read Ovid's Metamorphoses?
also, Veeky Forums seems to like don quixote a lot based on the "best book you ever read" threads

mason and dixon I guess

>Nigga who do you think you are taking over my thread
The guy who kept your thread alive and made the polls while you were busy masturbating to cp

where's the thread, man?

You make it, I already did a good portion of the job.