Intro to Ezra Pound

What is the best Ezra Pound compilation for someone new to his work?

Attached: ezra.jpg (567x567, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Selected-Translations-Second-Directions-Paperbook/dp/0811217337/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521428948&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=richard sieburth ezra pound elliot
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We don't encourage wasting time with pseuds here

go to /mu/ for an overview of Lenny Kravitz, you moron.

that's literally all we do here

t. Pseud

why did Pound have kinky Jew hair?

Gee, what the fuck got your jimmies in a rustle? Leave the thread then you ginormous arseholes

I don't know, according to his wiki all his ancestry is English. He might have used something in his hair, as it seemed normal in old age

Attached: ezra2.jpg (1440x756, 197K)

Bad writers must always be discouraged

and he was a nazi, so that wouldn't go too well with being a jew

>he was a nazi
tfw people confuse nazism with fascism...

The only difference is Fascism is for cowardly contrarians

>assuming that he was an antisemite

He said he himself he was an anti-semite fucking retard

Wrong. What's your source, pleb?

>World War II, [Pound] was paid by the Italian government to make hundreds of radio broadcasts criticizing the United States, Franklin D. Roosevelt and Jews
>criticizing the United States, Franklin D. Roosevelt and Jews
>criticizing Jews
>Jews

Ok so it seems you faggots got your panties in a twist because of his politics. I don't give a fuck about that, that's not what the thread is about. If you want to sperg like a retard leave this fucking thread.
Will someone recommend a compilation already god damn it

Attached: 1513864616524.png (499x513, 283K)

His selected translations and poems by Richard Sieburth is great - collected all of Cathay, his early personae poems of note, the Maulberly poem, and a few selected cantos. For pound it is important to track the arch of his work from the very start, and to include biography and history in your reading of him - he was, after all, among the subjects of the cantos...supplementary reading is a must - I would suggest also checking out “The Cantos Project”, they have the first 23 cantos wonderfully annotated. Best supplementary reading I’ve done on Pound is an article called “Usury and Torubador love” it helped me to get an idea of just how loaded and wideranging the idea of usury was for pound (typed on my phone while walking, no errors where none intended)

“but my worst mistake was the stupid suburban prejudice of anti-Semitism, all along, that spoiled everything – “

>criticizing Jews = being an antisemite
ok... Jew detected

read The Cantos and ignore the screeching cum latté leftists, i hate anti-Semitism and pretentious foppery including a lot of the modernist nonsense from Lewis, Pound and Eliot but The Cantos are beautiful

I'm not aware of this... do you have a source?

His antisemitism was an odd thing, anyway. It was reactionary and related to his fucked up ideas about economics and banking. It wasn't a reasoned antisemitism like Eliot's. Pound was great friends with plenty of Jewish poets and helped them to gain exposure and succeed.

See . He said it himself while in conversation with Ginsberg at the asylum

>i hate anti-Semitism and pretentious foppery
>but The Cantos are beautiful

Does not add up

Cheers, mate.

He's shit anyway. Read the other modernists.

Just get some kind of collected poems. You probably could start on anything but the Cantos

Attached: New_Selected_Poems_And_Translation_.jpg (500x743, 58K)

This, he's just a wannabe Joyce with a dick up his ass

"It is an extraordinary paradox that Pound's sprawling, ignorant, indecent, unmelodious, seldom metrical cantos, embellished with esoteric chinese idiographs-for all I know they may have been traced from the nearest tea chest-and with illiterate Greek, Latin, Spanish and Provencal snippets (the Italian and French read all right to me but I may be mistaken) are now compulsory reading in many ancient seats of learning. If ever one comes across a relatively simple Blake-like passage in the cantos, sandwiched between direct quotations from history textbooks and snarling polyglot parenthesis , this is how it sounds. Forgive me but we are all adults here..."

Start with the ABC of Reading to get an overview of his poetical stances, then read the selection by Sieburth.

Ezra Pound is the only man who can fairly be called 'the greatest writer of the 20th century'. I do not care what people here think about him. Most posters here are monolingual (bilingual at best) anyway, so their opinions do not even count when they talk about poetry. You cannot even begin to fathom the influence he had on world poetry, including in many countries you wouldn't expect. He was the single greatest influence on post-1950's Brazilian poetry, for instance, but Americans don't even know that.

>muh brazilian authors
vai tomar no cu, lixo.

He was the Rupi Kaur of the 1900s
Seriously look at this shit

Attached: 363247.png (849x765, 96K)

Pounds legacy is extremely comic, (no less serious), but does have comic elements. I first encountered his poetry on a born again Christian site...Goodly Fere...and think of Casa Pound in Italy...just a funny thought. Greatest? Not sure...but among the greats, there can be no doubt

"...even Whitman's barbaric Yawp was hardly as barbaric as that. But remove the layers and layers of cloacinal ranting, snook-cocking, pseudo-professional jargon and double talk from Pound's verse, and what remains? Only Longfellow's plump, soft ill-at-ease grandnephew remains!"

Graves couldn't write great poetry and his Greek Myths reads like children literature.

His poems are honestly mediocre. I've read them.

>Forgive me but we are all adults here...

Beautiful

Attached: 27017054_950433498444348_1715143071_o.jpg (720x1011, 45K)

>Richard Sieburth
I've thought of getting a compilation done by him with an essay by TS Elliot. I read that the Cantos should be tackled after earlier works, both due to complexity and context. Is that correct?

Thanks, already had the ABC of Reading on my list. Are you brazilian as well? I heard a lot about him growing up, although he was very briefly discussed in literature class, but I always felt some magnetism towards him

Not an argument

I agree with this. Graves was shit, but Pound's use of Greek was also shit.

>Ezra Pound is the only man who can fairly be called 'the greatest writer of the 20th century'.

Imagine unironically being the person behind this sentence

Attached: 1516953417510.jpg (125x120, 3K)

No. Fuck outta here. Pound's rewriting of Homer has been the best yet.

that's rather convenient for you isn't it.
even if he is a bad poet, he knows a damn sight more about everything than pound does

>only knows English

Is the Waste Land comic? Is the later poetry of Yeats comic? Is Pasolini's poetry comic? Is Gerardo Mello Mourão's poetry comic?

You can spread adjectives as much as you want, but that doesn't mean anything.

A lot of adjectives without any serious argument.

Name a single better writer. I'm waiting. Fucking moron.

Jk Rowling. You can pull better writers than Pound out of a second hand bin

>Is the Waste Land comic?
Yes

>Is Pasolini's poetry comic?

Vanno verso le Terme di Caracalla
giovani amici, a cavalcioni
di Rumi o Ducati, con maschile
pudore e maschile impudicizia,
nelle pieghe calde dei calzoni
nascondendo indifferenti, o scoprendo,
il segreto delle loro erezioni...

Rubén Darío is far superior.

Graves didn't make any proper arguments either.

No one else influenced poetry as much as he did.

>English poetry

>No one else influenced poetry as much as he did
What a preposterous unfalsifiable claim. Please explain one way in which he "influenced poetry [sic]"

I've read Homer in four languages and Pound's was the best one.

Ruben Dario is certainly not superior. His poetry is very sensual due to his mastery of meter, but he doesn't have much to say, and he cannot get at the heart of things.

He has good poems. Selecting the worst passages doesn't mean much. Homer sleeps too.

This thread is really getting on my nerves.

Attached: 1513051110265.jpg (720x676, 56K)

>I've read Homer in four languages and Pound's was the best one.

I challange you to compose a single sentence in those languages that couldn't be shit out of Google translate

“Comic ELEMENTS” (no less serious)

You are a fag

Mastery of meter is all that matters desu.

Pound fans are cancer and need to be snubbed out on the spot

>Selecting the worst passages doesn't mean much.
>Implying that's bad

Bлaдимиp Maякoвcкий

One way? Sure! As a poet, he was one of the founders and the most read practitioner of the imagist movement, which gave a new emphasis on the role of the image in the writing of poetry, putting it on the forefront. This involved the rejection of empty adjectives and the rediscovery of certain traditions, such as that of Chinese poetry, which Pound translated (doesn't matter if accurately or not) into English to general acclaim.

That was very influential among many poets, including TS Eliot, who was the author of what many people consider the best poem of the century (which would be a mess without the help of Pound, il miglior fabbro), and who in his turn influenced many others. Even in my country, Brazil, we have a poet in whom the influence of Pound's love for the unadorned image is felt very deeply: João Cabral de Melo Neto, winner of the Neustadt Prize, a very rare feat for someone writing in a language which few people understand.

Yes that is definitely correct - you have to get an idea of Pounds poetic systems, and track their development before moving on to the cantos

You are cancer you fucking faggot. If you are so butthurt GET THE FUCK OUT ALREADY. NOBODY gives a single shit about your meaningless rants, I asked for a recommended compilation, not your sorry ass crying about bullshit. Stick a knife up your ass you piece of shit, get out already.

ITT: Usury Defense Force

Get his complete works. It's worth the read for sure!

Oh wow, imagery? In poems of all places? What an innovation

Your pet poet is a clownish fraud. Try actually reading instead of being a touchey asswipe

And then went down to the ship,
Set keel to breakers, forth on the godly seas, and
We set up mast and sail on that swart ship,
Bore sheep aboard her, and our bodies also
Heavy with weeping, and winds from sternward
Bore us out onward with bellying canvas,
Circe’s this craft, the trim-coifed goddess.
Then sat we amidships, wind jamming the tiller,
Thus with stretched sail, we went over sea till day’s end.
Sun to his slumber, shadows o’er all the ocean,
Came we then to the bounds of deepest water,
To the Kimmerian lands, and peopled cities
Covered with close-webbed mist, unpierced ever
With glitter of sun-rays
Nor with stars stretched, nor looking back from heaven
Swartest night stretched over wretched men there.

Ho letto Omero in quattro lingue e Pound mi sembra di essere il miglior tradottore di quello grande poeta. Non parlo l'italiano perfettamente, ma devo dire che c'è una grande differenza tra il parlare e il leggere una lingua.

Yo no hablo Espanol con perfeccion, mas, como soy brasileño, para mi es mui facile entendere la poesia Española. Quiero tu perdon caso io tenga cometido algun error. Se tu sabes hablar español o portugues, sabes tambien que hablar una destas linguas non significa hablar la otra perfetamente.

I've read Homer in four languages etc.

Li Homero em quatro línguas, incluindo o português, que é a minha língua materna.

J'ai aussi lu un peu di Homere en français, car Pound a parlait qui la meilleur traduction di Homere etait quelle dun poete Francais, but my French is very rudmentary, even though I can read it with moderate ease.

Tiresome drivel. Overproduced

Thank you. I think I'll get his ABC of Reading and this compilation amazon.com/Selected-Translations-Second-Directions-Paperbook/dp/0811217337/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521428948&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=richard sieburth ezra pound elliot

Your argument seems unrefined.

If your Spanish is that bad I'm sure you can't get the nuances of Góngora or Darío. Not trying to be an asshole here, my Portuguese is as bad as your Spanish, but I'm not comparing writers that I can understand with those that I can barely read.

So you read Homer in two a half languages, OK.

There's just nothing going on. He's on a ship, alright. Where is the actual person here?

Are you serious? Compare the imagery of Byron - perhaps the most well-regarded poet the during the 19th century - to that of João Cabral and you will see the 'Pound effect'.

Not only that, but my comment explicitly states that there was a tradition which also cared a lot about images, and Pound helped to spread it to an audience which had not been very much familiar with it in verses which many people thought very attractive, and which influenced writers from the North of Britain to the South of Brazil.

It really isn't. I can write alexandrine and sestinas with ease and they still read very badly. You don't know anything about poetry if you think that.

But don't take my example: just look at the Brazilian parnasians, such as Olavo Bilac, and you will see that knowing the craft doesn't necessarily mean that you can create beautiful things. You can learn a lot from him, but reading his verses is just quite tiresome.

Attached: rg.png (648x417, 200K)

>Compare the imagery of Byron - perhaps the most well-regarded poet the during the 19th century

Ok, I'm out

Attached: 109885482.jpg (750x1024, 410K)

Sounds good - I’ve actually been taught by sieburth himself, an Intro to E.P. Class

Góngora's Spanish is quite easy for me, specially because it was so close to the Portuguese of Portugal's poets at the time.

Darío uses some words which I don't understand and have to search for in the dictionary, but it's not too much of a problem.

But really, you don't need to speak a language in order to read it. If you tried to read Portuguese you would see it very clearly.

Also, my Spanish is better than that. I'll give an example: when I wrote 'entendere' I was just under the effect of having written an Italian paragraph a few seconds before, because in Italian the 'e' is usually added in the end of verbs. I know fully well that the Spanish verb is 'entender', which by the way is the very same thing in Portuguese.

why is people comparing poets rofl

He was. Any book collector knows that! The 19th century editions of his books are all around the second-hand shops, unfortunately.

Longfellow was also very well-regarded. And Tennyson.

Keats was seen as a worse poet than all the three of them.

no matter what anyone in this thread tells you, Pound is NOT A PSEUD. He was one of the best poetic minds of the last two centuries. (And, if it matters to you, he was redpilled af.)

Start with Cathay. That collection, and some passages of the Cantos, esp. Pisan Cantos, are the heart of his achievement.

But Cantos can be safely ignored for the immediate, or even long term, future. Read his translations and remember that, in the hands of a master of verse, translations are ORIGINAL WORKS OF ART.

>Pound
>master of verse

I don't know. OP's question was so innocent and honest! However, saying good things about Pound leaves quite a bunch of people mad, probably because he made poetry writing more difficult for everyone else, since he rejected the low-effort sonnet machines of the day, and also because he supported Mussolini, and left-wingers nowadays are very intolerant - Pasolini wasn't like that!

Pound's definately not a psued. He was one of the best critics of his generation even if his major poetic project failed magnificently.

Byron may have been more fashionable among casual readers for a time but Wordsworth was by far the most heralded of the English Romantics

Attached: 0oas9.jpg (300x168, 9K)

Attached: 012398.png (1080x1129, 1.17M)

>this much bootyblasted anons itt
I hope the Cantos gets spammed 24/7 now

Wow, that's marvellous. Was that at NYU? That's what's on his wiki at least

Attached: images (1).jpg (275x183, 6K)

>I hope the Cantos gets spammed 24/7 now

Please do, nothing could do more to expose the fool

Attached: messiah.jpg (295x171, 7K)

can anyone explain this or no

Attached: rg2.png (644x501, 174K)

He was.

By the way, Graves complained about Pound's lack of meter, but Pound actually wrote a lot of metrical poetry, including many translations from such difficult authors like Arnaut Daniel and Guido Cavalcanti. According to William Carlos Williams, when Pound was in university he actually used to write one sonnet a day, which would throw into the fire at the end of each year.

Graves was just being ridiculously dishonest.

>93 posts
>18 posters
SEETHING

Attached: 2q=.jpg (275x183, 5K)

Maybe. But I said 'perhaps', and it's certainly arguable that Byron was considered better even among well-educated readers. He was also much more influential than Wordsworth among foreign poets.

graves didn't lie that was part of his poetic law.