What race was Othello? He’s described as a Moor...

What race was Othello? He’s described as a Moor, which I understand to mean Muslim inhabitants of Spain and the Maghreb, but he always seems to be depicted as Sub-Saharan African. Are there any historical examples of Moors working for Venice that Othello May have been based on?

Attached: 7D8B5E96-2363-4070-8878-76FFA3D43242.jpg (193x262, 19K)

>are there any historical examples
Dawg . . .

Attached: IMAG0634.jpg (1520x2688, 990K)

He was probably black or at the very least mixed Arab-African. Certainly not fair-skinned like the Europeans of Shakespeare's day.

>Certainly not fair-skinned like the Europeans of Shakespeare's day.
Very insightful...

Moor is understood to mean either non-white or non-Christian foreigner. Othello was Christian, but not white. The vagueness sorrounding the term Moor has made his depiction a oroduction decision since he could either Arabic, African, or any non-white indibidual desu. If im not mistaken, the olay states his from North Africa descent, so he’s probably not sub-Saharan, but could def be blacker than your average Arab. The decision to depict Othello as Sub-saharan is due to the influence of modern races politics unto the play. It’s far more dialectic in America to make Othello black, than Arab. Before he 20th Century Othello was always portrayed as Arab, usually by white men or light skinned Arabs.

>Tudor England
>Modern conceptions of race

Moors are the derka derkas who live in the northern countries of Africa, they're brown, not black

Shakespeare may not have had a specific race in mind, and his grasp of geography is often shaky or indifferent. Othello may have been inspired in part by Moroccan delegations to Elizabeth's court. His primary source isn't any more specific.

there's no telling really. there are all sorts of complexions in north africa.
there were sub-saharan africans in the Mediterranean world, the Ottomans had Sudanese eunuchs etc.

forgot pic

Attached: 59c9a74645d2a027e83dde49.jpg (626x326, 51K)

>there were congoloids in med
really time populatuons of them after the arab slave trade started

I don't know what you're trying to say, but the Arab slave trade predated Shakespeare by several centuries.

Here in Spain we use the word "Moor" to refer any muslim person, or any person with roots from a muslim country.

In portugal we use the term Moor to describe anyone from the South be it a Christian, an actual muslim or a Communist

Im trying to say there have never been significant populations of Black sub-saharans in the northern mediterranean

He was African-American.

Fair enough, I guess it depends on what you consider significant. There's been cross-cultural interactions throughout the Mediterranean for millennia though.

>. It’s far more dialectic in America to make Othello black, than Arab.
I hate this part of American culture.

This is correct.

It's really impossible to say for sure because of how vague the term "moor" is and how many different ethnic groups you find in the maghreb. I've met Moroccans who I could have mistaken for tan Europeans as well as some with more "black" traits.

>The term 'Moors' has no real ethnological value."Medieval and early modern Europeans variously applied the name to Arabs, North African Berbers, and Muslim Europeans.The term has also been used in Europe in a broader, somewhat derogatory sense to refer to Muslims in general, especially those of Arab or Berber descent, whether living in Spain or North Africa.
There's nothing to suggest he was a nigger. He's only portrayed as such in modern times due to Murifag influence. Thanks. faggots.

brilliant comment

>black ram is tuping your white ewe
He was fairly dark-skinned, nobody describes Arabs as black.

I know Orson Welles once directed and starred in his own production of Othello where he was the only white actor and everyone else was black. Pretty interesting. And no I'm not talking about the movie, although he played Othello there in semi-black face.

shakespeare uses black all the time in ways not constrained to describing color, usually as negative for dirty or distastful, and that was inciteful insulting by roderigo or iago who were trying to evoke a similar notion. thematically or artistically it might be more effective to make othello darker skin tone than north african, but contemporary american racial politics marrs the notion

damn said notion twice

Othello was white

Denying that makes you another victim of jewish lies

Moors were North African and North Africans are Caucasoid Berbers.

>Portrait of Leo Africanus, a possible inspiration for Othello[5]

Attached: 2DC1409F-27CD-4505-931F-E347C4A0F507.jpg (754x1024, 113K)

Back then, the English considered non anglo-saxons to be black. Even gooks were niggers to them.

>Moors
Uh, it's the Moops

I call bullshit, cite your sources.

Is pic related a good edition? If not, recommend me the best ones.

Attached: FC4CAAAD-7AAC-4F35-B438-C5BD49466A22.jpg (312x472, 31K)

That's why they married with French folks, aka niggers in their view. Bad bait, user.

Yes, it's good. I prefer Arden 3rd, but not the revised one.

Idk, but here's William Blake's Othello.

Attached: William Blake - Othello and Desdemona (Illustrations to Shakespeare), approx. 1780.jpg (1600x1230, 379K)

Are you a retard?

And what madman's lies are you the victim of? Do tell.

stop giving him attention

Then I suppose the usage has changed since the days of Camões.

Camões most often used it to refer to Muslims, and, as far as I can remember, to nothing other than that.

Here is Camões talking to the Portuguese king:

'Vós, ó novo temor da Maura lança,
Maravilha fatal da nossa idade'

'Oh thou, oh newest scourge of Moorish spears,
Bringer of death and marvel of our age'

It wouldn't make sense for him to say the Portuguese king will be the new terror [newest scourge, for meter] of the Moorish spear if he included Christians in the concept.