WAR AND PEACE READING GROUP

So in a couple of days I will start reading this telephone guide, and I figured some of you faggots might want to join me in a reading group. Also since this book is long as fuck there’s plenty of time to ‘catch up’ if anyone stays behind the discussion shedule.

Anyone interested?

Attached: 67F64973-B549-4FAE-AF87-91DE228541B4.jpg (298x450, 41K)

Maybe. Its sitting on my shelf, unread. I got to the part with the fancy ball and put it back on the shelf.

I'd join if this happens. How big of an interest are we looking for?

Why not just read a summary. Are you retarded?

>just read summary
>the absolute state of Veeky Forums

Finished it a couple of weeks ago. Genuinely good read. Hope you enjoy it, user.

What's wrong with reading a summary? It's faster and it gets to the core moral of the story.

i only watched the bbc show desu

When you grow up you will realize that the destination is not as important as the journey.

t. spends all of march reading War and Peace while I've already devoured five Dostojewsky novels

It's about knowledge for me, not about reading itself.

Attached: 1517777534797.jpg (637x631, 26K)

Could any one statement epitomize reddit more clearly and conpletely?

Pic is probably related tho

Attached: dYZKBeX.png (224x225, 16K)

Not an argument.

Attached: brain_04.jpg (1280x720, 346K)

Deriving knowledge from a summary is the equivalent to deriving knowledge from an old guy preaching to you, because they are just telling you conclusions from their experience, and thus, the listener really has no emotional connection with them, which ultimately means they are meaningless to the choices you, or I, will make in life: because the conclusions are in a vacuum with no understanding as to why the conclusions are as they were preached unto you, thus: If you don't want to do x--the thing that was preached, then you won't. However, if you read the fucking book, you understand the struggle, and why the person came to certain conclusions and what adversity they had to face, because of those conclusions: They then won't exist in a vacuum, there is an emotional connection, and you will understand what to expect from deciding to act in certain ways--and how that's intrinsically apart of the experience.

I know this is just bate, but it was good practice

Why is my writing so clunky and jumbled? It sounds so clear in my head, and the logic is solid; however, I sit and write--albeit on my phone, and this mess happens. Any tips?

What a retarded reply.
My mother told me from a very young age that I shouldn't take drugs and explained to me why. I've never taken any drugs. I don't have to have an emotional connection to it in order to learn and act upon the preachings of "an old guy" or in my example, my mother.
Try again.

Possibly I got a copy coming in but mines the oxford edition.

Eh, I'm bored, I'll play along.
Do you listen to every piece of advice you are given? While your example might be true, that does not disprove my argument. There are many reasons you might not have done drugs, and I'm skeptical af that it's because your mama said not too user. Try harder

My Russian aunt caught me reading Dostoevsky so she bought me this behemoth and I have it just sitting on my shelf. I'll join.

If the advice is reasonable and makes sense, I'll follow it. I don't need a 1400 paged novel in order to understand and follow an advice.

Why are you even here then? You sound like the average materialist--possibly unbeknownst to yourself, due to compartmentalization--that just thinks himself, and the world, is so logical, and emotion/irrationality plays little to no role in the decision making process: it is all just so easy. Stick to your cookbook science kid, your type is specifically annoying to me, so I'm done with the roleplay, later kiddo

Attached: 1521373587917.jpg (1218x1015, 212K)

You make a great cog in the system. Good goy, don't forget to read Dr Peterson new book, bucko!

ironic shitposting is still shitposting

Attached: 930A0717-8590-4843-B4FC-42949FD6A5FA.jpg (640x480, 64K)

You haven't debunked anything I've said and your analysis of me is terrible. Anyway, you lost the argument.

Peterson is just another boomer kike. I have zero respect for him and his cult.

see

Wew
>not an argument
>not even a smart Veeky Forums guy

I'm still waiting for you to debunk my arguments, sweetie.

>he doesn’t want the pseud points you get for reading the book

After having read the summary and interpretations of a book I buy it and put it in my shelf.

Tolstoy isn’t about the ‘message’, but rather of moments of humanity from the characters accompanied with beautiful prose and simplicity. You won’t feel the absolute bliss of reading the waltz scene, the pastoral chapters or many other parts by reading a summary of Anna Karenina. In the end it’s not about ‘getting’ the book but about feeling the book.

>has a bookshelf filled with works for which he read available summaries
>can charm normies with basic knowledge of those books
Social Übermensch Chad, is that you?

Ok, bud

Attached: 1519102704085.jpg (1280x720, 125K)

No, I'm a robot and I barely leave my room. My mother is quite impressed though.

So there's not even a message? Something I can learn from and apply to myself? Is it all about "muh fee fees"? That makes it even more retarded. Have fun waisting hours for feelings, woman.

>it’s all about muh fee fees
well that’s what probably all art is about, do you watch Bresson to get a clear message out of it?

You act like you know without going through the motions that bring about knowledge. It is the difference of knowing a mathematical formula versus knowing why the mathematical formula works. Sure you can still solve equations but at some point when it doesn't work for a different kind of equation it will just be wielded as a bludgeon to hammer the supposed answer out without having the insight to understand you might be going about your endeavor in the wrong way - that perhaps I need a different formula for this equation in question, which I never learned because I don't fundamentally understand how and why this equation works for what it does, or why it does not work for that with which it is incompatible and why it's incompatible. The idea of compassion is only virtuous in certain contexts. Compassion to let someone unwittingly eat themselves to heart failure because they like food and want to indulge themselves, and you want to be respectful to their desires, is not necessarily compassionate at all in the long run, whereas compassion to smack someone on the wrist for doing something that is harmful to them in the long run only seems uncompassionate in the short term. How you choose to exercise an idea defines your character, you can't simply take the sparknotes "compassion is good!" and bludgeon your way through life indiscriminately with that "knowledge" as a weapon. Perhaps you have to make mistakes to find out why compassion is good in X scenario but bad in Y scenario, you have to journey through the thick of things, in order to emerge at the conclusion with a piece of knowledge that isn't completely bereft of its wisdom for proper implementation.

When is it starting? I'll order a copy. Also, you guys need to make sure to stick it out all the way through this time. We barely got through half of Don Quixote last time we did a reading along

just join r/bookclub. I think they're still reading W&P.

I'll go to reddit when it's overhauled to have purely chronological, anonymous posting.

First, literature's value is primarily aesthetic. If you don't like that, spend your time reading encyclopedia entries instead. Second, you don't gain wisdom by being told something, you gain wisdom by living through the experiences that lead one to it. Being told the point of a story is a much less effective way of internalizing it than reading the series of events that lead to that point

I read it a few months ago, but I'm so down for a series of threads on it.

Is there anyone so utterly /OurGuy/ as Pierre?

Halfway though Childhood, boyhood and youth. Hope I'll finish in time for the reading group

I don't think you understand the purpose of books, why would Tolstoy write a 1000 page novel when he could have just wrote a summary? It's obvious that the books existence isn't solely based on the moral message it carries, but more on the content of it. If you wanna just read a summary then no one can stop you, however you can't claim that you have read the book. By reading the summary you are understanding the importance of the novel but yet, you refuse to read it because it "takes too long", Goodluck relating to anyone who has actually read the book