How can America produce the greatest writer of the 20th century, and then literally NOBODY worth mentioning thereafter...

How can America produce the greatest writer of the 20th century, and then literally NOBODY worth mentioning thereafter? What happened?

(Pic very related)

Attached: 7D90A282-83E5-4FF6-B6E5-F59F8D0BB742.jpg (1480x832, 59K)

Are you referring to Faulkner and Salinger being emblematic of shit?

1. No American was the greatest 20th century writer
2. Salinger isn't bad

Faulkner or Frost would like to have a word with you. Fiction and Poetry changed with them.

Yes. Salinger was the end of American “literature.” Postmodernism doesn’t count, for reasons obvious to anyone who cares about actual literature.

Salinger is a horrible writer. Angry 14 year old kid fiction =/= literature.

women BTFO

Kek, imagine being this poorly read

Imagine for falling for bait this easy

Apply this chart to CITR and then genocide those in the nadir

Attached: chart.jpg (588x419, 28K)

Wonderful

You’ve obviously never heard of Evan Dara. I’d recommend starting with The Lost Scrapbook.

>greatest writer of the 20th century
*blocks your path*

Attached: 50F994E2-9F35-49E8-9634-25736370D8B1.jpg (220x295, 18K)

Please. Joyce couldn’t write Bananfish if he tried.

He's great but let's be real he's not the greatest.

Attached: nogirls.jpg (1280x1183, 205K)

Borges is the best writer of the 20th century. Or maybe Kafka. Salinger is leagues behind those two.

CITR is a jewish meme. Jews promoted this mediocre jewish writer because he glorified degeneracy and selfishness to the young goyim. Easily manipulated kids like yourself are forced to read it when you're 14, and since it's one of the few books you've ever finished and because you were never very smart to begin with, you still go to bat for it years later, because you're a mental pussy.

Attached: bait.gif (500x207, 3.06M)

imagine all the people and someone literally shoots you because of Salinger

this is pretty much inarguable, even if you are the sort to think that his later work is nonsense, single stories in Dubliners rise above his contemporaries

Pic related is near the zenith of American literature.
But internationals are way ahead.

Pretty sure this is bait but Salinger is actually underrated.

Attached: frannyzooey.jpg (288x475, 14K)

Salinger is like Fitzgerald in that Veeky Forums doesn't like him due to either a) they had to read his most famous novel in high school when they were retards or b) the rampant autism about american authors on this board

>1. No American was the greatest 20th century writer
Joyce was Irish, which makes him American in spirit

i met salinger's son the other day, major chad

>Joyce was Irish, which makes him American in spirit.
tf does that even mean

What? Elaborate.

Attached: bait.png (2500x1645, 197K)

irish invented american culture
irish invented cowboys la
and blue jeans
and the great american novel
all in dublin aye la

Fitzgerald was 10x the writer Salinger was, and while you may be right, there are a lot of Salinger fan boys on here because of jews and because Catcher connects with a lot of fucked up kids, as it was intended.

The U.S. didn't produce the century's greatest writer; France probably did with Proust, or Russia with Bely or what's now the Czech Republic with Kafka, and Salinger doesn't hold a candle to Faulkner (the best), Henry Roth, Cather, Nabokov, Ellison or Bellow.

Irish user here. Its true, Irish and Americans are brothers in spirit unlike English cretins. Both nations love freedom and individualism

Why are trying to pretend all those mediocre jewish writers are good or even near the best? Are you jewish or just an idiot?

>"country x PRODUCES the best...
*sniff sniff*
We smell you in here, schlomo. Scram.

why do you always post in such an autistic manner

i met his son, hes a middle aged guy. he was an actor for a bit and was the jock in revenge of the nerds. he's a nice guy—don't think he's got the noggin of his dad

>don't think he's got the noggin of his dad
His dad had an IQ of 106 according to his Time magazine profile.

Your opinion is like an arse full of farts.

Salinger was 10x better than Fitzgerald.

So he was right? You're promoting jewish writers as "the best" because you're also jewish?

No. But if you want to make a case against Proust, Kafka and the others because you don't like Jews, be my guest.

>No

Attached: 5229126b26228f17eabb6709fc9e8389d959c182a227f6dedc07c4d22f243e8d.jpg (208x243, 32K)

Kafka wasn't American, user.

i wish i was a jew you fucking faggot
qts for days

He was Jewish, which makes him American in spirit

You dumb, pathetic slave.

Attached: 1509099688195m.jpg (1024x680, 122K)

your masters are mostly white billionaires you dumb cattle man

Is the high-IQ worth being that ugly?

>literally zero argument

>Faulkner or Frost is the greatest 20th century writer
Serious question, have ever read Faulkner or Frost? Shitty chevy commercials don't count.

Attached: 1511785817192.gif (300x300, 1.49M)

Rollin for 9. Come on baby.

lel not even wrong

They wouldn't be trying to destroy the world if it was

is that the picture of the guy who wrote for Esme, my favorite short story of his?

Franny and Zooey is a great intro to writing dialogue. The first half of Zooey's chapter, when he's smoking in the bathtub reading a manuscript, is great writing.

I think Salinger's peak is Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenters.

Great writer.

Dang

>cherry-picking a bunch of middle-aged women
sad
also 7 get

Attached: galnews.png (576x324, 264K)

>your masters are mostly white billionaires
The elite in America is jewish now. That's why whites are under attack by media, getting pushed out of our institutions by diversity policies, and being replaced by third worlders -- we're being ruled by a foreign tribe that hates us. If you're white it's time to wake the fuck up and stop being a passive retard.

Lol that bitch is probably genetically 75% Italian (jews have a lot of Italian DNA going back to Roman times). Jews and semites generally are the ugliest people on the planet, largely due to inbreeding.

post a pic of your face my übermensch friend

Wish I could but you know I can't.

My dad claims he actually met Salinger. Dad grew up in Windsor, Vermont and worked at a gas station for some time in the late 50s and early 60s. Salinger lived in Cornish, New Hampshire and apparently would travel to Windsor. Dad said he had filled up his car a few times at the gas station. He was very quiet and reserved, saying nothing but a customary greeting or whatever. Also said he remembered him having two dogs in the car a few times.
I read that Salinger went full recluse after a student from Windsor High School published an interview with him in the local newspaper. So I guess it is possible he would be there in Windsor. My dad isn't a reader either (I don't even think he has read CitR) so I don't see why he would lie about this. Pretty neat I suppose.

What did her skull mean by this

Attached: 1510695316812.png (800x842, 993K)

lol virgin

Rodentization of the skull is an inevitable result of inbreeding, this is just facts user

Attached: do.jpg (800x528, 47K)

Attached: 40c772f942605b6e19fe7fa35e181bf6.jpg (1920x1080, 1.43M)

>open thread knowing there's gonna be some /pol/tard bitching about da joos
>I was right
Every fucking time, you guys are worse than cockroaches.

why do you /pol/edditors push the inbreeding meme so hard when we all know you are the inbred one?

Found the Jew

Please Chaim, you're fooling no one

Attached: 1510759849692.jpg (1200x600, 462K)

who is that

another Irish user here.
You're retarded. Are you from Cork or something?

Even looking at the sperglist that is the Nobel prize, you can pick up much better writers in the 20th century:

>Kipling
>Yeats
>Shaw
>Mann
>Hesse
>Gide
>Eliot
>Churchill
>Camus
>Neruda
>Marquez
>Morrison
>Coetzee

Hell, Canada produces better writers than Salinger, and Canada is cesspool of a lot of talentless writers (and I say that as a proud Canadian).

Aye, gr8 b8

Every time I come back to this board, it gets a little worse and a little more vitriolic. Like, read a book, talk about it, say something nice to some other poster. Also Also, rollin' (Looking for 7 or 9)

>Every time I come back to this board, it gets a little worse and a little more vitriolic
Thats called people waking up and not taking shit anymore

No, I'm from Boston

he looks like that ape that wants the fire in junglebook

anybody thinks the letter from buddy to zooey is one of literature bests?.

I do. Also when Zooey enters Seymours old room for the first time.

>tfw they have yet to posthumously release his remaining works

Attached: 75D84ED9-7542-4883-B549-D332A59399E0.gif (480x351, 1.06M)

stupidly proud of somebody having the exact same taste.

Literally ONE of those is American.

And as a Canadian, I will submit Alice Munro as our greatest fiction writer.

Read Nine Stories you fucking pleb

Imagine being this deluded.

>Nabokov and Beckett were fucked up kids

raise high the roofbeam is the patrician's choice

franny and zooey though very good is pleb in comparison

>not Seymour: An Introduction.
Enjoy the bread and circuses.

I'd read another Hugh MacLennan novel or something by Mordecai Eichler before touching Munro.

I've heard it claimed that good books are only recognized in retrospect, but I've never seen anyone back this claim up with a study or data. Is there a chart somewhere that compares when a work was published to when it achieved "success"?

Oh then kill yourself.

>Borges
>the Dan Harmon of literature is the best writer of the 20th century

I like Fitzgerald and Tender is the Night is a damn great novel but Salinger later stuff is on another level. Seymour an Introduction in particular is up there with the very few best works of literature of the 20th century.

>>the Dan Harmon of literature is the best writer of the 20th century
Unironically kill yourself, user. Please.

Dan Harmon is good

Fuck off. What do they even have in common? Harmon is a try hard hack and Borges is one of the most clever people who have ever lived.