Why do I never see pic related when talking about Murakami, or in general for that matter? Is it not good...

Why do I never see pic related when talking about Murakami, or in general for that matter? Is it not good, or is it just not as popular?

Attached: 1Q84_jacket.jpg (450x666, 126K)

too long for nipponophile cumbrains to read tho it's maybe his second best

popular therefore sucks

One thing I really don't understand is why the gap between the level of praise at his novels are so great.

His books are all so similar!

Read this one is you want to experience a story from him, but longer. To me it ads up to the rest of his highest held in regard work.

It's longish compared to the rest of his work, but not unengaging.

I found it to be rather boring and hated how repetitive it was. I'm reading Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World right now and am enjoying it a lot more.

This man, in my country he is nothing.

Murakami has been marketed well, that is it.
For real Japanese writer's experience, Ryu Murakami is better. Soseki is good.
Kenzaburo Oe, for the patricians.
and Yukio Mishima for the ascendants.

Prime example of long works not being de facto good reads.

1Q84 is the most engaging book of the past decade

This man, in my country he is nothing.

Nobody likes Murakami other than pedophiles

Great book.

I really like Murakami, but I don't think I could handle 1000 pages of him

You are correct.
I've never read 1Q84 specifically, but after reading: nowergian wood (my favorite murakami book, but that doesn't mean much), after dark, colorless tsukuru tazaki and kafka on the shore i can say he is just a mediocre writer, his style is extremely formulaic, can't write a main character that isn't his self insert (i like his supportive characters tho), can't write realistic dialogues, his dog whistles of western culture usually feel forced and boring, basically he brings nothing new to the table... theres one pro imo tho, which is: these books are really easy to read and understand, so i'd recommend for people who are starting to read

I've never heard of Ryu or Kenzaburo, so thanks for that.

I like Banana Yoshimoto :)

whats the first

Also Dazai, I was really moved by No Longer Human

In the Miso Soup is good, its where I started

This.

Presently in the process of reading Mishima, specifically, Temple of the Golden Pavilion, and unlike Murakami, Mishima novels genuinely feel intrinsically Japanese. Of course, Murakami is not at fault with his writing yet his novels feel moreso like a kettle pot and his influences percolate noticeably well.

Attached: 20180320_075106.jpg (2560x1440, 1.5M)

Because it's shit that leads nowhere and the sex scene are abysmal even for Murakami.

Murakami reminds me a lot of Vonnegut or DeLillo. A reporter who knows the money is in covering paranormal phenomena/philosophical concepts, in book format.

>the sex scenes are abysmal

Holy fuck this. Essentially "I couldn't move or feel my dick but this 12 year old girl sucked every last bit of sperm out of me." Just plain smut, not writing.

Do I remember this correctly?

>The novel involves a sex scene where the main character is getting raped by an underage girl while being paralleled (for no reason) to travel back in time or to another dimension?

If its smut then there sure is a good reason for it.

*paralysed

>murakami reminds me of delillo
in what world are they even remotely similar?

I read it in the summer vacation from cover to cover. It was the only book I had with me and my girlfriend was violently sick for several days, leaving us stuck in the hotel room.
I am giving this introduction because this is the only condition in which I could read the entirety of this book.

It is boring, full of mary sues, predictable and without humor. It abuses the cliche "writing about writers/writing". It doesn't play to Murakami's strength of Pychon-like psychedelic writing and amplifies his westernboo weakness. The main plot "love story" is vapid and unintentionally creepy. In the thousand pages the only two good characters are the villain and the madam, and the 30 good pages are describing other books ("Cat Town" and "Road to Sakhalin").
The last one is actually a terrific book. This critique comes from somebody who rates Hard Boiled Wonderland as a personal favorite and found Norwegian Wood touching.

Attached: dancing_queen.jpg (1024x864, 359K)

I read it a few years ago. It's an interesting premise and Murakami is a completely palatable prose writer even when translated, but basically nothing happens for the majority of the book. It's made up of long, ambling often pointless sections describing car rides, meal preparations, coffee shop conversations etc. punctuated by very intense and engaging parts like Aomame doing her job, the bodyguard confronting the private investigator, Fuka at the press conference and so on. I can see why a lot of people find it to be anything from not their cup of tea to outright insultingly boring and bland.

Ultimately though I think Murakami didn't really know what to do with it. The story isn't concluded in any meaningful way and there are dozens of unanswered questions and loose plot threads left dangling.

Shame that Air Chrysalis isn't a real book. It seemed like it would be fun.

Whats it about?

After reading some Mishima novels you can see how much of an influence he had on Murakami

They call this book iq 84 cause that is the iq of the people who like this book

ha ha gotteem

Murakami is very simple reading. Some people take that as bad, but there's nothing wrong with plain and straight forward writing. However, it is true that he is super entry level.

This novel isn't posted as much for several reasons. The top two are that it is so fucking long that most people don't bother, the second is that you go into it and expect it to really go somewhere yet it never gets to that point. You can read a lot of his other books and get more for your time.

If you want the whole "people meeting after a very long time apart and relating to the experiences of older-but-not-old-yet people" experience, you'll get more out of Colorless.. though you won't get the sex scenes

He's Stephen King for people who think they are too good for King. This is his The Stand.

I do like most of his stuff and did enjoy 1Q84.