My life has never been so perfectly fit to read it
It is thus far an abysmal song of prose which speaks to my soul

Attached: file.png (640x640, 470K)

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/15325636
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>lads

let me guess, you're a fucking yank

I have that edition. It's pretty aesthetic desu. Even the pages have that same hue blue gilt.

In North America the preferred term is "buds."

as jolly yet morose of a yank as Melville himself
yes, and it's even darker. really, really sells the atmosphere of the book just by being present in your peripheral vision

Same way I felt, OP. It's amazing.
Been looking for the perfect edition, have yet to find it.
Fucking newfag.

oh boy wait till Ahab hits the scene

>Been looking for the perfect edition, have yet to find it.
the OP one is really nice, but i'm also a big fan of pic relate, even though it's a paperback
haven't held the genuine artifact though, just seen pictures. if it's shitty half ass paper, or if it's got the wrong gloss to the cover, it could be ruined

Attached: file.png (500x667, 579K)

Ego non baptizo te in nomine patri, sed in nomine diaboli!

yea that's why i decided to take a break just now, 16 ended with Peleg hyping the shit out of Ahab. it was too metal to not take a rest and contemplate it

Really been enjoying it as well, never felt a book with such strong symbolism that is also layered very well

Attached: 29243176_1751682524875652_1584544742_o.jpg (864x1152, 64K)

I'm about to finish it, one of the best experiences of my life, not an hyperbole. More than a book it's a journey it even gets tiring, you can feel the fatigue of the characters. As hard as it is i think it's a must read, no doubt in my mind.

There's been some nice editions, including a leather-bound one, but I'm really holding out for an old-weather-beaten copy.

>metal
>tfw listening to ahab during contemplation intermissions of moby dick

I read it while on an actual ship. Being on the ocean in a large, floating, life-support structure is surreal, I think he captured that experience pretty well.

Also, three-year long deployment? Fuck that.

listening to Filosofem as we speak, contemplation going very well

Attached: Filosofem.jpg (600x550, 256K)

Heheh, dick

Big fan of this series of covers

He probably used "lads" ironically, bud.

Wait until you get to the parts that are basically play scripts. Shit's wild.

Arion press has an incredibly beautiful edition. Too expensive for me unfortunately.

Attached: 9A088B62-6267-40BF-BF36-E2864DE20D2B.jpg (564x867, 134K)

I reread Moby-Dick last year. I legitimately teared up when I got to chapter one.

>Go from Corlears Hook to Coenties Slip, and from thence, by Whitehall, northward. What do you see?—Posted like silent sentinels all around the town, stand thousands upon thousands of mortal men fixed in ocean reveries. Some leaning against the spiles; some seated upon the pier-heads; some looking over the bulwarks of ships from China; some high aloft in the rigging, as if striving to get a still better seaward peep. But these are all landsmen; of week days pent up in lath and plaster—tied to counters, nailed to benches, clinched to desks. How then is this? Are the green fields gone? What do they here?

Lads...

California University Press has a facisimile of the Arion edition in a paperback. Includes typesetting and illustrations.

Attached: 9780520045484.jpg (257x384, 14K)

Like, old scientific illustrations?

What edition is this? It's down right lovely.

>abysmal

do you know what this word means?

What's the best analysis on Moby Dick? I want to get deeper into this masterpiece.

holy SHIT i NEED that

Hard to blame you, man.
The big picture blowout, all those quotes and extracts, the portrait of the whale's mystique and mastery painted in so many passages containing so few words... and then just when you think this lovely little anthology might go on forever... with the turn of a page
"Call me Ishmael"
wow man WOW goosebumps
I think a better question might be, do YOU know what that word means?

Attached: file.png (640x640, 872K)

Everyman included this list of select bibliography so check it out if ya want.

Attached: IMG_20180320_071736.jpg (2240x3968, 2.74M)

Another great one is to get the Norton critical edition of md. It's got loads of stuff including footnotes to the full text, engravings, contemporary and modern reviews, Melvilles letters, essays on different aspects of it, and loads more.

The illustrations from the Arion edition

Op is 16 chapters in mate, calm yourself.

This novel has over 100 chapters, judge it when you actually read it in full.

Good God that is one gorgeous first page

Penguin Drop Cap collection

Thanks bro.

The edition I own, love the minimalism and the green cover like a dirty ocean. Don't really care for the rest of the minimalist penguin covers but this one I love.

Moby Dick is genuinely one of my favourite books. It took me a while to finish it but I haven't felt an enjoyment matched with reading so much with the exception of Don Quixote and Les Miserables. Will be re-reading Moby Dick five years after I first initially read it.

I think if you read the book, OP's use of "abysmal" makes sense as not much goes right in Moby Dick. It's a tragedy of biblical scale.

You're using it incorrectly. An absymal song of prose would imply that the prose is bad. It's like saying, "that was an absymal experience", "That was an absymal movie", "This sandwich is absymal". You aren't using it correctly.

Has anyone read Clarel by Melville?
I had to give up due to the sheer number of references to places in/around Jerusalem

It has pictures of the tools, Whale species, hooks, etc.. If you can find it cheap online you should get it.

From Merriam-Webster
a : immeasurably low or wretched : extremely poor or bad abysmal ignorance/poverty abysmal living conditions
"an abysmal performance"
b : having immense or fathomless extension downward, backward, or inward
"an abysmal cliff"

OP reporting yes, thank you, definition 'b' was indeed the desire result

Should we start a Veeky Forums reading group for Moby Dick?
strawpoll.me/15325636

not making one would be kind of a dick move

Attached: carlos.png (350x350, 138K)

3 votes? sad!

On the bright side, only one of them called me a fag.

>mfw it was me

Attached: file.png (471x339, 194K)

Dave no :(

we should start a Veeky Forums reading group for Moby Dick

I'd be down for any excuse to get a /fitlit/ group started, tbqh.

Attached: fitlit.jpg (920x343, 59K)

Attached: thumbs up lad.jpg (620x349, 23K)

>3 now
heh, nothin personnel kid

looks like a contrarian finally showed up