Which city has the preeminent literary scene in your country, Veeky Forums?

Which city has the preeminent literary scene in your country, Veeky Forums?

Attached: 6B9BF490-B17B-42D4-BD71-A8ACBB1929EB.gif (480x360, 1.89M)

There are no literary scenes. We are all tumors waiting for the cleansing radiation of a new God. Smite this fucking planet with a meteor and end our suffering now.

NYC sadly

NYC and probably LA or San Francisco

please happen

Actually we're all going to starve. Bees whom are the decline pollinate 60% of our crops, and the acidity of the ocean is slowly rising until it becomes intolerable to key feeder species that will ultimately make it an unviable source of food. Then you're gonna wake up from a coma with big sausage fingers and get told by a near spherical woman we're all going to overeat until we die.

You guys are just memeing, right?

Attached: 1520471849269.jpg (239x207, 19K)

No. Are you retarded or just sad you can’t afford it?

>Territorialized literary scenes in the age of the internet
it's like you guys don't understand our age

I live in DC, faggot.

Attached: 1521335437350.jpg (640x480, 28K)

The internet

Sup DMV bro?
But no NYC is definitely still the epicenter of the literary world.

>What is the midwest.

>>What is the midwest.

crops and fertilizer

What’s literary in the Midwest?

a cultural blackhole filled with the human equivalents of germans

Annapolis, MD.

>human equivalents of germans
Actually a lot of us are just regular Germans, not the human ones.

I work at a library, and 80% of the people there (customers included) are just into the big name 'nerd' shit like Star Wars and Harry Potter. 15% read genre fiction, and 5% hit up non-fiction/classics/actually interesting authors.

I'm a complete and utter pleb by Veeky Forums's standards, but I honestly have met about 3 people that read challenging or interesting books.

So yeah, the internet.

kek

Nashville probably to be honest
maybe Austin if you're unironically gay
>jew pork shitty
>good for anything other than human livestock
there are plens who believe this in current year+3?

Copywriting =/= literature.

Some small town in the sunbelt of America, most likely.

Anywhere else is irrelevant

I won't starve, because I only eat McDonalds.

I just wanted to make a twilight zone reference

Miami but you won't know about it for at least another ten years.

you go to meetup? i want to go to the next one

>Australia
Probably Melbourne or Sydney but from my experience literary type people are always suffering from several un-diagnosed mental illnesses so I don't want to go anywhere near the heart of that

the true literary souls wouldn't step foot in Melbourne or Sydney

I wish I knew. I feel like there isn't one, and that the 21st century has destroyed the concept of a physical scene for most pursuits. Fucking sucks.

Veeky Forums writers' commune in Arizona when?
not even being ironic here

there already is one in new orleans i hear, in a flop house someone in a thread mentioned—8 or 9 kids

>All this unironical americans in a literature board

Chicago

I see people read books at cafes sometiem

lisbon, but in my adopted country, mexico city

>LA
>literary scene

Pick one. I lived in LA for 15 years. There is next to no literary culture in the city. The closest you get is "Last Bookstore" downtown, and that's a shitty bookstore that exists more for you to be seen looking hip in than it does for books.

I understand that LA can be a lonely place, but stay bitter tryhard. The Last Bookstore at least has cheap used books/secords while stocking new releases (picked up the new version of Book of Disquiet a few days ago). Youre also being disingenuous because there is a scene even if youve isolated yourself from it. I used to be a kid too who thought his writing was better than every young author who has their first book at Family Books or Storie's Cafe. Are all of the writers good? No. Are all of the writers good at any one city in the world? No. But I didnt let anger or jealousy at a scene drive me further underground as an adult, thats for sure

I'm also in LA and seconding . Does LA have some literature? Sure, it's a city of nine million. Does it have a scene at all on par with it's population? Fuck no. The fact that you're citing the last book store as LA's flagship is a good example. Sure they have a metric fuckton, but have you ever found a book you actually wanted to read there, or just the debris of so many mediocrities. I live in the bougie westside and while most cities would have plenty of bookstores (see the recent explosion in independent bookstores), LA has barely any. Diesel is OK, the Barnes and Noble on the promenade closed, the tiny thing on the venice boardwalk is mostly a tourist trap. It's bullshit. Don't let me get started on LARB and those fuckwits.

I want to move there from Baltimore but it's so fucking expensive.

Yeah i have found many books there. Have you guys even been in the past few years? Its way more organized these days. Im sorry you live on the west side though, no idea whats over there. If you guys want a scene to be more toxic about and pretend doesnt exist because it doesnt live up a literary utopia, i could unironically arrange for a meet up with myself and other writers who have been published in the last 7 or so years.

I have always found literary "scenes" and just about any other scene to be mere commodifications of the actual thing. The most glaring example is not actually in literature but think of the hundreds of "startup events" and "life coaching congress" stuff you see popping from every corner in major cities. These people are not pretenders in the sense that they're faking entrepreneurship, no, it's even worse, they are pretending to buy into what is already a representation (or should I not avoid the term, a spectacle) of entrepreneurship. It's not much different from the people paying extra on Starbucks to feel good about "helping" the environment, or giving money/food to street beggars as is, with no accompanying addresses to underlying issues.

The same goes with literature and their "scenes". What I see when I go to these places is literature in the secondary plane of what is truly just another social scene. Note there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, of course I still go to said places (not the literary ones since I am hueBR and not much of it in here that's not college-kiddies) and engage in mutual hobbies with others, but a "scene" is definitely not where I would go to actually learn and actually dive deep into the actual purpose of the "scene".

>Obviously, the most adequate place for actual literary scene is Veeky Forums

Attached: 27972118_2561617003886744_5317407633076791479_n.jpg (626x960, 125K)

>Obviously, the most adequate place for actual literary scene is Veeky Forums
I agree with this, but i dont really know what you mean by start up events. Im sure youre referring to someone like Jordan Peterson. But is Greg Sadler also guilty of this in your eyes? What is the real thing? Lets say a Stoicism reading group began-- its illegitimate because we arent *really* stoics and its all just posturing? Philosophy majors arent really learning philosophy because they paid for their degrees? I havent read the Society of the Spectacle btw, interested in where you are going with this

By "start up events" he means shit like classes on "leadership" and "marketing".

Hey man, just you wait, Austin is blowing up right now

Perth