What did he mean by this?

what did he mean by this?

Attached: F1DCBCE0-1A41-44B9-937C-37FC7C02417A.jpg (1242x622, 133K)

I dont know, it is never the whole story. it is as if he's making fun of poor people. It probably means $1900 of book sales, in the same way that musicians dont make much from albums but do from appearances.

Hes made it as an artist

dat nigga be getting advances

why do I want to be a writer again?

So musicians don't much from albums but make money from shows. Writers don't make much money from books but make money from: ?

You want people to think you’re smart and you’re afraid of death

Paid appearances/conversations/weird private skype things

first one yes, second one no.

>Would you like a drink with that order?

>2 retweets
>89 likes

dohohoho
what a nobody, he could make that much a month if he only had a real online presence and a patreon

Sounds like a shitty lifestyle. I would't want to be a writer to talk to people expecting me to say some brilliant things about lit.

Pynchon must be poor af then, but a least he has a film adaptation.

He's a blue blood New Yorker

I think he's smart enough to figure a way to make money outside lit. He has an apartment in NYC, ffs.

He was born rich, then?

>weird skype things
show feet bb

>. it is as if he's making fun of poor people

What, like Africa poor?

I really doubt ANY fiction writer makes more money from those things than books
Some meme non-fiction writers do but only the kind who nobody actually reads their books

If you look into the lives of working artists and writers, you will find so many of them have alternate means of support. Especially if they live in NYC.

There's a difference between supplemental supports and an actual day job
Tao is going to flipping burgers in five years

since we're taoposting, does anyone know wtf happened to the muumuu house and the alt-lit scene? seemed like that was about to blow up some years ago, ppl were literally comparing muumuu to the paris expat scene in the 20s, but i haven't heard anything about Boyle, Lin, Cicero in ages. wtf happened?

> ppl were literally comparing muumuu to the paris expat scene in the 20s, but i haven't heard anything about Boyle, Lin, Cicero in ages. wtf happened?

Are you retarded? They missed the key ingredient RECOGNISABLE TALENT

Tao's dad is some sort of science guy who has patents for laser eye surgery but also did jailtime for some white collar shit and then moved back to Taiwan.

His parents bought him an apartment in Manhattan.

He's not going to flip shit.

When I see stuff like this I always remember reading how Steven Erickson was given 100K upfront to write 10 massive ungainly fantasy books, after he presented his publisher with a rough outline for the entire saga.

I assume it is similar within more tasteful literary scenes? That the real money is getting paid up front for a book by a publisher rather than the sales of the book?

He'll be flipping something. Asian parents don't subsidize failures

Literally how. I made $1900 in the last two weeks

>how does a 34 year old NEET with zero marketable skills not make money

TL is 34? What the actual fuck

I saw this and assumed he meant reportable on his tax returns. So he's probably making off the books money through shit, or just living on a big advance from previous tax years or saved money.

Or he's just bullshitting us because he's tao Lin and he's a funny dude like that

>Asian parents don't subsidize failures

Attached: Hikikomori.jpg (1200x900, 141K)

Patreon.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (960x606, 73K)

He spends thousands in airfare and lodging each year alone.

Hikki's aren't subsidized so much as they found a way to short circuit Asian parents.
Like how a blackhole starts breaking certain constraints of physics once it reaches a singularity point hikki's break the constraints of Asian parents by reaching a singularity point of failure

>Pynchon must be poor af then

Pynchon is a very, very popular author. Tao Lin is not.

>V. and The Crying of Lot 49 had each sold more than three million copies in their Bantam mass-market editions. (Let us pause here to contemplate what these numbers say about the extent of literacy in the America of the ’60s. Then I suggest we all commit suicide.) [...] Gravity's Rainbow went on to spend four weeks on the Times fiction list, selling some 45,000 copies in paper and cloth combined. Its Bantam mass-market edition, published one year later, sold about 250,000 copies over the course of ten years.

Even though the author makes a tiny % of the sales price, when you sell millions of copies it adds up.

and you're not smart enough to just be a university professor so that publishing would be a required part of your job

this, and pynchon work was translated to many languages (i know there are many works in portuguese and spanish)

who's paying for all the drugs and kale then?

ya well advances have to be paid back if ur shit doesnt sell, that's how the record industry gets rappers hooked, give them a shitty bentley or some other overpriced luxury crap as part of the advance and since it depreciated the minute the poor bastard drove it home, he has no way to pay back the advance, so now he has to keep churning out albums for u, idk how it works in publishing, but i doubt tao lin's shit is selling too good, maybe he should take a job as a writing adjunct

Going to see this walking meme speak in May. Haven't read any of his books. Where should I start (I promise to buy used so I don't contribute to him making more than 1900 in 2018)?

you going to the Trip reading too? /It/ meetup now

I'm more afraid of life than I'm afraid of death
You can be the biggest piece of shit in the world and if you die Young it's still a tragedy

how does he afford drugs

You guys realize he is bankrolled by his dad? His dad is probably worth tens of millions of dollars.

their two day jobs

yes we all know he's a trustfund hipster

Why would he lie about that?

That's more than he deserves.

His day pays for his living and travelling expenses.

He has like 8 published works, he's not a failure by any means.

Attached: tao's mom vaporwave.jpg (600x443, 35K)

Popular ones make boatloads from book sales. If Tao isn't making money it's simply because his books aren't selling.

Other writers who get critical acclaim but aren't huge sellers can get professorships and write for magazines that pay better than literary journals.

If you fall into neither of those camps then you need another source of income.

Pynchon has not only sold millions of books but he's from an old-money New England family and married a Roosevelt. People who've stalked him enough to know where he lives have reported that he lives in a beautiful Prewar-six on the Upper-West Side.

Last I heard anything about Tao he was a personal assistant to some rich guy in Pennsylvania, not exactly living it up with a Manhattan bachelor pad.

Attached: waterroom.jpg (2560x1576, 888K)

twice as much as I made last year

So he's a gofor and a butt monkey. Voice of a generation my ass.

$18 a week? You a hobo?

Or do you mean you made 1900, after expenses?

>His dad is probably worth tens of millions of dollars.
>His dad is a retired physics professor.
Are they really worth that much?

that's more than i made tbqph

Which one are you going to (if there are more than one planned)?

If I'm not wrong they just let them be out of shame

His dad has patents on pretty valuable laser surgery devices/techniques.

We should seen em back to """"Taiwan"""" and collectivise his patents.

It means he’s doing his taxes

don't worry he has millions of dollars saved from selling batteries

>Last I heard anything about Tao he was a personal assistant to some rich guy in Pennsylvania, not exactly living it up with a Manhattan bachelor pad.
Last I heard of him he was walking the beaches of Hawaii with his cute gf enjoying that sweet advance money

>89 likes
I believe it

5 years ago, I made close to 300k in less than a year. Been living off that money for a while, productivity went off a cliff, starting to slowly make money again

So, basically, they they're failures who're subsidized by their Asian parents

Go take your meds, Tao.

His millionaire father still supports him so its pretty irrelevant how much he makes. He is also an only child so he will inherit all of his parents millions.

He got $1900 in tax returns

Sound like fucked up asian versions of the Icandenzas

>Last I heard anything about Tao he was a personal assistant to some rich guy in Pennsylvania, not exactly living it up with a Manhattan bachelor pad.
Who would hire Tao Lin as an assistant? What exactly can he do?

He made they much from book royalties.

He's got the twink build, so probably something related to that.

Son I am disapoint. I wanted you to go to university and become a doctor instead you take drugs and write degeneracy.

Attached: Jui_Teng_Lin.jpg (178x182, 43K)

Pynchon died last week. The news has yet to break.

Attached: tao.png (1210x1098, 1.39M)

overpaid desu

Who else should I read if I love the contemporary subject matter, categorical way of thinking, and dry humor of Tao Lin's works?

Isn't he that mathematician?

You are a unabashed narcissist,and theres nothing wrong with that.

Attached: arnold inclined press.jpg (564x709, 80K)

>zero marketable skills
name recognition / branding is a marketable skill. Tao Lin is relatively well known

this, come on Veeky Forums

Write a terrible book and sell to Hollywood for a terrible movie full of CGI

Attached: bernard jou iwaku.jpg (1280x720, 416K)

Have you ever considered not being massive piece of shit? I think that would solve your problem.

How the fuck

Must admit I am the shit like colonics

Tao worked as an assistant in Pennsylvania when he was like 23 and living there with his gf (male) at the time. He wrote IMDB entries or something for some Bollywood star.

is this guy even real

>He has like 8 published works, he's not a failure by any means.

He is if no one fucking reads them

>name recognition / branding is a marketable skill
No it absolutely is not
>Tao Lin is relatively well known
Not really

plenty of people read them.

and plenty of great authors only became celebrated afterwards

The thing about 4chinners thinking no one reads him is that they would have to leave the house to know that people DO go to readings/release parties and anyone who reads him anyway is either corresponding with Tao or supports him in another way. For example, I am published by a diy company that has its own bookshop. Its a tiny but stable scene which draws in visual/tattoo artists, restaurateurs, filmmakers, musicians, yoginis, actors, etc. Building relationships with those people often like minded (if pleb) means free food, tattoos and concerts and sponsorships. Therefore most starving artists of any kind never pay for these things!

A lot of people here are just scared of the cognitive dissonance that comes with Tao being successful I think.

>Tao Lin has more than likely been in this thread

Tao stop slacking off and write your 1,500 page magnum opus already

Attached: Sly.jpg (306x517, 27K)

he's writing Leaving Society as we speak m'lady

What do we know about it so far?

I made $0 IN 2017

I made a game for xbox 360's (xblig) that sold a lot in 2012/2013

Nigger if he was successful he would have made more than 2k last year, how stupid are you

>I assume it is similar within more tasteful literary scenes? That the real money is getting paid up front for a book by a publisher rather than the sales of the book?
Possibly even more so, since very very few people buy 'literary fiction'. But that would also mean the advances are proportionately less.

there isn't a translation of taipei to my language , and my English is just okay, should i get it or is it difficult?