Philosophy question

My mantra in life has always been that my value as a human comes from whatever I perceive my value. This view has been partly influenced by my stoic readings.

However, I've been reading Hobbes recently, and according to him, like when selling a good the price is set by the buyer and not the seller, human value in society is what is perceived by other people, regardless of what a person thinks of themselves.

This seems to make sense to me as well. How do I reconcile my beliefs if both of these points of view seem true to me?

Attached: House_of_cards2.jpg (750x500, 201K)

Because they're the same thing.

Explain. Do you think they don't necessarily contradict each other?

Not OP, but how?

What's the value of a stranger? Why is your value different? Because you're biologically hardwired to be an egoist

The value you place on yourself is not the same thing as the value others place on yourself, duh.

no
both are equally meaningless - easiest way to realize that is to imagine that you sacrificed your whole life to pursue the answer to your question, how dumb would that be?

If you are enlightened (buddha) and your life's value and self perception isn't affected from the way people percieve you the first one is more true depending on the level of enlightenment .

If you are more of no-ego's evil twin "ultra ego" as are the overwhelming majority of people (rich piana) the second point is more true depending on the level of your ego.

Attached: 1520356290484.jpg (640x551, 89K)

Human "value" is not monetary value, or any sort of quantifiable value. I don't think the Stoic even think that word. You are the Health of your soul which is attained through practice. One of the practices is the one with the circles and brothers and everything, and boils down to, in more modern terms, expanding your subjectivity onto the totality of humans.

Hobbes' theory has its origin in the Societal, not in the Soul. The Soul is afterwards deduced from society

Please, "biological hardwiring", especially as used by someone without an understanding of the theory presupposed in the term, should not be a part of any attempt at semi-serious philosophical discourse

your value as a human comes from growth in whatever direction you choose to grow in. The only way to fuck that up is if you keep changing directions.

>the theory presupposed in the term
You mean what philosophers coin and then no biologists uses because they don't give a fuck about their useless mumblings? Biological determinism? Jesus you're stunted to think that that term is even relevant to the discussion, it explains OP'S bias in understanding

Perhaps it is more meta than that. The very fact that you can perceive your own value, and deduce whatever that is for yourself, is beautiful. If you hold an inherent truth like that in your heart you don't really have to rely on any buyers or sellers to tell you what you already know, which is valuable in itself. Just my thoughts.

Bump

Brainlet here, can you elaborate on no-ego and ultra-ego? I sort of contextually get ultra-ego from watching rich piana videos and from browsing Veeky Forums but if you wanna write a blog post I'm all ears.

the price is set by both sides unless monopolies are involved

Nope. Value is given by the buyer.

What would change if you realized you are valueless?

Everything, and nothing.

Exactly. Move on to something worth thinking about.

Attached: IMG_0558.png (900x900, 1.61M)

>stoic
>hobbes
You're a fucking retard

We are all sparks of the Divine having a temporary physical incarnation.

Questions of "worth" are meaningless because Life by definition is the highest worth.

The very act of your existence is nothing less than a cosmic miracle. Allay your superficial social concerns and recognize the inner truth of Being.

Attached: THe_Four_Zoas.jpg (1190x1083, 666K)

price and value are not the same thing, and op states that
>like when selling a good the price is set by the buyer and not the seller
which is wrong

Actually you are. Nice reading comprehension.

This is confusing. I don't see how the two need to be reconciled?

Intersubjectivity. You can attribute a value to yourself that is different from what someone else would attribute to you. There is no contradiction. It is like when you'd want to get paid more for your work but other people aren't willing to pay you as much as you'd want - if you can compromise, the intersubjective value of your work will be somewhere in the interval between the minimum you'd be willing to be paid to do the job and the maximum your employer would be willing to pay you to do the job. Of course, to determine the point of the actual value of pay within those two hypothetical values of pay, you need to look for the actual bargaining power of both positions. You want to get more than you think you are worth and he wants to give you less than he thinks you are worth - know what each is willing to cede to get what they want from the other.

price>value=loss, not rational to buy
price

This. When OP talks about his "value as a human" he is really talking about pride. Pride is a measurement, an estimation of worth, and is therefore relative like all measurements. Pride is a sin because it tries to place ultimate value on something contingent, since it is impossible to feel pride once you know it is based on a merely relative estimation, which therefore places you in competition with others, and puts your self-worth at the mercy of the mob, which is really to destroy value in the true sense as something permanent and fixed.

Enlightenment is a liberation from the self-inflicted burden of pride, and therefore an attainment of true life, which is value, which is really something. There is only death in the prideful perception of the world, since pride only is capable of passing away when its occasion vanishes, yet real value is not susceptible to this death.

Nope, it's not transactional like the example you gave.

thats got nothing to do on how prices are set tho

Back at you faggot. I'm calling both the eco-fascists and the literal anglo-fascist retards, I am not saying that Hobbes was a fucking stoic (I mean he and all liberals are neo-stoics but that isn't the point)

Nice lack of argument there, brainlet. How's the community college educayshion going