Books are convincing me that I'm a nihilist

Books are convincing me that I'm a nihilist.

>Read Stoner
Man lives miserable life, life is pointless.
>Read Blood Meridian
A shitload of people die for absolutely nothing, but they're dead so who cares.
>Read Fight Club
Tyler fills my head with thoughts of letting go everything I know about life because it's pointless.
>Read Nietzsche
Fuck religion, fuck life. It's pointless.

I need some books that discuss the purpose of life.

Attached: Blood Meridian.jpg (1042x1546, 811K)

Dosto, Tolstoy (Master and man, Death of Ivan I.)

If Stoner made you feel like life is pointless, you read the book wrong.

>Read Nietzsche
>hasn't read Nietzsche

He goes through life struggling only to be left with regret and the book he wrote.

>read fantasy
>life is about being as jacked and swole as you can get so that you get a qt elf princess when youre reincarnated in fantasy land

Nietzche didnt say anything of those things you brainlet. Did you even read him?

Good bait

>Read Nietzsche
>Fuck religion, fuck life. It's pointless.
Nietzsche was solely about getting over nihilism. he even says he was the 'first nihilist to overcome it'. You're doing it wrong user. Try and find the sublime next time will ya.

But he found love despite all that. And not just that, but a passion. He was his own worst enemy, marrying Edith, disassociating from his daughter, allowing himself to be rigid in somethings and flexible in others. Dying with regrets doesn't equal life being entirely pointless, it just means that you lived without fulfilling everything you wanted to do - which is what happened with Stoner.

Zeno's conscience finishes on alinen uplifting note.

or some Bulgakov, Heart of a Dog is really fun

Augustine - Confessions

Life is not pointless. Stoner found meaning in the little things in life.
Not many of us, shit, if any of us find any meaning in this world. It's unlikely it'll be some big purpose you're hoping for. You're not gonna have an epiphany one day and everything will make sense, you're not gonna save the world, or be the hero. You're gonna look back and see the joy that was found in the little places in life that made it meaningful
That's what Stoner was about. Think of all the shit that happened to him, did he ever complain? No, he persevered

Russians know where it’s at

ITT: Characters that remind you of yourself
For me it’s Kefka – intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor.

You aren't intrinsically anything.

You are just being influenced by the books. I'm sure if you started reading Christcuck shit youd be a christcuck also.

Wasnt he just trying to justify that weird light religion

Bruh, the purpose of life is to live. It's nothing deep, and it's pretty fucking simple. But what other answer do you need? Life's a fucking gift, my man. Even if it's ultimately meaningless, why not take advantage of its pleasures?

>Read Nietzche
>Fuck religion, fuck life. It's pointless.
Want to know how I know you haven't fully read Nietzche?

*hits bong*
Liek there is nothing beyond yourself man, just enjoy yourself hahaha
*hits bong again*

That was inevitable, but at least I was sincere.

It's pointless once you're dead. But while you're alive, it pretty much makes sense

How the fuck can that be your interpretation of Nietzsche? The first 30 pages of Beyond Good and Evil is him literally shitting on religion and stoics for having no "joie de vivre", and he uses nihilist as an insult. He even gives an answer to your question, which I interpret as "too risk it all and thereby possibly suffer".

Also Chuck has said for a thousand times Fight Club was some literary experimentation without too much substance. I'll give you Blood Meridian (and the Road is up that alley too). But you're clearly projecting a philosophical view you already believe on books that have nothing to do with it and sometimes even state the exact opposite. Read Beyond Good and Evil again. Read all the New Sincerity stuff (yes the meme DFW book). Read Epicurus, the funeral speech and Aurelius. But most off all, read them with an open mind in a public space and throw off your self inflicted blinkers.

>Read all the New Sincerity stuff
Don't do this

This. New sincerity attacks irony for a reason I can't understand. Irony is a utility, not an excuse to sound cool and fun. I think the extremity ironists write with are the reason irony is so effective, because its displacement puts into perspective how polarized ideologies tend to be while behaving as if they're easily compatible. Writers like Barthelme are an exception (to the cool and fun rule), who uses irony in a way that is both aesthetic and utilitarian

You dont even need to read Nietzsche to understand that he wasnt a Nihilist. OP is just dumb, too lazy to do even basic backround research

Irony is a mental barrier behind which you can hide your own, necessarily flawed, views while attacking the flaws of sincere opinions of others that are out in the open. For me, new sincerity represents the view that while modernist theories, structures and literature are fundamentally flawed they are at least CONSTRUCTIVE and thus have worth. This in comparison to post-modernist irony and absurdism which allows to attack and destroy faulty theories without proposing anything to replace them with, leaving a barren wasteland with nothing of value. On top of this post-modernists are insincere as they pretend to have no dogmatic beliefs, while they merily hide them. No man has no values.

>reads Nietzsche, isn't filled with inspiration and passion for life
user, I...

Attached: 1506379258360.jpg (627x720, 229K)

You read all of those books the wrong way

Nihilism is a dumb ass enlightenment meme for people who don't understand what meaning is. It comes from the scotusian breaking of intentional relations connecting knower to known , and ultimately nominalism, Cartesian mind body dualism, and elimanitive materialism.
Nihilism is absurd and will hopefully fade into obsucrutity as post-peirceian semiotic ontologies of sign relations rise. After you understand the casual efficacy of signs and the importance of meaning making and inter-subjectivity you can break free of the Cartesian imprisonment of a mind inside a brain.
Of course you don't need to understand any of that, even dirt poor, illiterate thirdworlders are commonly wise enough to understand that the meaning of life is to make meaning.
Stop treating meaning like a meme

I'm reading Blood Meridian right now, but I really don't see how it's nihilistic at all. Depressing and a dour tone do not mean nihilistic. I think you just don't have a good understanding of nihilism.

You think you're funny, OP? This isn't funny at all. Maybe you should grow up, clean your room, learn how to cook, find a job. When are you going to get a job? A girlfriend?

>that part of Zarathustra about the night sky

good lord

Together did we learn everything; together did we learn to ascend beyond ourselves to ourselves, and to smile uncloudedly:—

—Uncloudedly to smile down out of luminous eyes and out of miles of distance, when under us constraint and purpose and guilt steam like rain.

Of all the books OP listed, I'd say it's the most nihilistic. I'll just say this, wherever you might be in the book, it only gets worse.

Fuck you JP.

I mean I read the road, and McCarthy is definitely not a nihilist. I just read Black jackson icing white jackson, so obviously I'm not even halfway, but I've already seen two prophecies, one of which came true. I don't know what it means yet, but fate and meaning seem to be main themes of the book.

Blood Meridian turned me into an SJW

Never realized how fucking brutal Native genocide was until reading that book. McCarthy sent me reading US history and post colonial shit.

People who find a girlfriend to fix themselves are peak pathetic. If you can't fix yourself on your own just kys

I never said McCarthy was a nihilist. I agree that a theme of his work is fate, but the fate in McCarthy is a blind, indifferent fate; it's a fate that doesn't much care for humanity. To me Blood Meridian almost reads like some strange, ultraviolet historicism. Any meaning we put together from the tales of our past are projections onto the absurd (and I would say the violence in Meridian is the absurd manifest).

KEKfka

>Nietzsche
>fuck life. It's pointless.
t. never read Nietzsche

Attached: 1496423319029.jpg (572x621, 104K)

Wow, that's a good point. Thinking about that reading the rest is gonna make it even more interesting. Thanks.

esque

Ecclesiastes 5:18
Behold that which I have seen: it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion.

next watch Rick and Morty you fucking poseur