This book is utterly unintelligible. Someone explain to me why it is considered a masterpiece

This book is utterly unintelligible. Someone explain to me why it is considered a masterpiece

Attached: CEDCDFF8-89A6-4D42-A7D3-236DADCA4AC9.jpg (289x463, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zxq2ztkE0eE
youtube.com/watch?v=c3arwHaziWI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What is unintelligible about it? It gets more action oriented about a third of the way in. You like action, don't you?? :)

I absolutely cannot stand the neologisms. I don’t mind a few but when it’s every other word it’s just plain annoying. Just call a knife a fucking knife

Pretty sure I understood it just fine before my teens tbphwy. I wouldn't say it's great or anything, though.

You're an actual brainlet.

don't be gay, dude. The problem is obviously with you if this book is considered a classic and even some of the most retarded readers in the world love it.

It's actually extremely straightforward, they just use weird words to throw you off. Once you learn the nomenclature it's quite a dull plot for a space opera. I love sci-fi too, I'm not just an elitist brushing it off as genre fiction. I'd choose Foundation any day.

this guy sucks too

Very easy to follow and it's fun. only science fiction book i've been able to get into and finish.

>literally lawrence of arabia in space

sweet kwisats haderach OP is a brainlet

While I'm open to criticisms that the book is overrated or even bad, it's far from "unintelligible". Stick with modern Young Adult fiction and consider posting on Reddit in the future, you retarded faggot.

These books are an easy enjoyable read. Veeky Forums is full of barely functioning retards

The first chapter does throw a lot at you but if you trust the writer and you'll find that it's not difficult at all. You don't have to immediately understand everything.

>Foundation
>complicated
Whether you look at the first books in their respective series, or at the full series, Dune has a more complicated plot and more factions than Foundation. Asimov is more popular because he writes to brainlets.

lol what's with all these threads talking shit on Dune? it's always the same pleb complaint. "hurrdurrrrr the names and terms, hurrdurr the prose doesn't fit my magical ideal of what 'literature' is, i'm too stupid, durpityduduthurr." le sigh.

>ooh two factions, the Atreides and the Harkonnen, I wonder which guys are the good guys!
>ooh the romanticized arab population, I bet their ancient wisdom is gunna unlock a bunch of secrets and powers!
It's one notch up the nuance scale from star wars.

>Bene Gesserit
>Fremen
>CHOAM
>Spacing Guild
>Emperor Shaddam
>Count Fenring
>Landsraad
>Bene Tleilaxu, Ix, and others that don't get to do anything until later books but are still hinted at
Sure, there's two factions. Sure, the Atreides are totally good guys and don't do anything wrong, ever.

>conflating OP's 'I can't understand it' with 'the prose isn't good'
Really now

no cunty face.... i was saying i hear that same excuse all the time in regards to dune.

bro i've read and re-read dune for the past 12 years. all 6 of Herbert's. they're some of the most complex and layered works that exist.... and literally all the complaints i hear are about the same shit. and, unironically, they reflect that the "complainer" just didn't/doesn't get it. not saying they can't... just saying.

also... its made clear who the "bad guys" and "good guys are" from the beginning. what's your point, stupid? also, star wars is the one that jacked shit from Herbert's work lol

thumbs up

Which books would you say compete for the being 'most complex and layered'?

Also, what books that you've read (other than Dune) would you say are the best?

It's not like, as good as shakespeare, or anything else that reaffirms my staggeringly high iq safety blanket.

Obviously it isn't, no, but I like the way you phrase that in the most insecure way possible.

suck my dick.

which dune books have you read, and when?

thank you I was trying to fit in with big brain men

Honest question. I'm interested to see where your opinion comes from because it's not one I've seen often.

And all of them (that Frank Herbert wrote, obviously), when I was a kid.

My only real complaint is how obviously cartoonishly evil the Harokonenn are. I'm fine with a good vs. evil plot in a sci-fi but Herbert might as well have have a whole chapter dedicated to the Baron being unable to decide which part of a newborn infant he wants to cannibalize first.

sounds like you've only seen the david lynch movie. they're not 'cartoonishly evil' in the first book bruh

I've only ever read the first and second book, and they absolutely are. The Baron is a fat gross fuck and Leto is a big stoic man's man, Harkonnen home planet is apparently just a giant third-world country, the Baron's mentant is one of the most edgy characters I've ever seen before he dies, and even the son who Paul fights at the end is just a cunt. There is literally a part in the book where the Baron orders his son to murder every single whore in the pleasurehouse with his own hands as punishment for trying to take his life using a poison needle implanted in a young prisoners thigh who the baron was going to have sex with before strangling him to death.

ok ok ok. i'm not gonna argue any of that. i could but i'm not gonna. just keep in mind that it came out in 1960. a lot of people seem to forget that.

im a really dumb guy and I found this book an easy read.

ok ok ok. i'm not gonna argue any of that. i could but i'm not gonna. just keep in mind that it came out in 1960. a lot of people seem to forget that

You just stole this guys comment you fucking thief

That is true I guess, Sci-fi in the 60's probably hadn't seen enough books like Dune to consider it a trope like we do now.

lol i forgot the reference thingie. ur probably joking....

Dune is fucking gay
I did just finish God Emperor and it was pretty good

yeah but whats his tax policy? whats his policies for dealing with problematic racists? checkmate worm fags

kek. Heretics is the goat

>imblying lol of arabia was a coming of age storie

>the virgin dune
>the Chad Book of the New Sun

Yes yes well done God Emperor...HOWEVER

the harkonnen are just pic related.

a common idea in the books is that everyone has because limp wristed faggots. its actually the central theme of the entire series amd the stated reason for things like the golden path. did you even read the books?

Attached: serveimage (13).jpg (1200x799, 134K)

Why anyone would waste their time reading a brick of science fiction is beyond me.

acts as a commentary on technology, religion, politics, family, economics....etc....

Well developed world. Maybe you just need to improve your reading ability.

>people didn't understand how to write nuanced villains before 1960
This is a brainlet argument. Pretty much confirms you are completely ignorant of classic science fiction, let alone literature as a whole.

Attached: phil_abc_111229_wg.jpg (640x360, 36K)

THIS

correct. if i said "people didn't understand how to write nuanced villains before 1960."
i didn't say that though, did i, cunt?

>Harokonenn are cartoon villians
>I wont argue but it was written in the 60's
what did he mean by this?

Attached: 1514539109652.jpg (698x698, 151K)

i'm tired. don't feel like prick waving by writing out opinion/explanations.

>unintelligible
It may be long, but it's actually a very straightforward, linear story. The only thing that could throw a person off is the sci-fi-fi jargon, and even that is not so difficult to understand. If I could get through it as a high schooler/brainlet, it's not unintelligible

"kwisatz haderach" isn't a neologism. it's hebrew. you must be american. also, there's a guide in the back of the book to uncommon terms like "sword", "stick", "food" and the like.

underrated
Is Dune actually worth reading? I started it a while back and on chapter 1 or 2 when he introduced the antagonists it was so cartoonish and overdone that I closed it and never read any further. Does it improve? I don't know what I expected I guess, I've never been a huge fan of YA fiction. When I was young I would read it, but even then I always preferred either nonfiction or something of more substance/depth/nuance. Good vs Evil is boring, if I wanted superheroes I'd just go watch the latest capeshit

This video actually convinced me to read it

youtube.com/watch?v=zxq2ztkE0eE

Jodorowsky's Dune would have been the best Dune

Attached: el-topo.jpg (600x400, 74K)

Attached: dude nothing is fucked.jpg (1000x1531, 312K)

There is literally nothing wrong with Lynch's Dune.

Attached: 1516133610860.webm (1280x544, 1014K)

I would have liked Ridley Scott's Dune. He'd have Paul Atreides fuck his mother.

Jodorowsky is a fucking hack that would have butchered the story more than Lynch did. His movie was a drug fueled pipedream and he actually had the nerve to talk down to Lynch for his movie that didn't even fucking exist. Pure garbage. At least Lynch made a movie that was aesthetically interesting with a good cast and sound track.

I liked Dune a lot. But my problem is that I read it a while ago. Eventually I'll want to read sequels but I don't want to re-read the entire first book just to refresh my memory. Anyone else know that feel?

Jodorowsky did nothing wrong
youtube.com/watch?v=c3arwHaziWI

Attached: screen-shot-2015-04-08-at-2-24-35-pm.png (1440x900, 900K)

Jodorowsky didn't do anything

>Hebrew
That explains why we have to like it

No, faggot. Dune gets better with re-reading.

what is the place that women fear to go to?
>there is a place, terrifying to us, to women.
The Bene Gesserit witch said this to Paul. What place was she referring to?

Into the male consciousness lineage. Only the kwisatz haderach is able to absorb the female and male lines. A Reverand Mother has only absorbed the female line.

I just started reading Dune today and the story specific words and terms are a little intense at first, but it starts to make sense once you've read the first few chapters and use context to piece them together. The book explains most of the terms shortly after introducing them, it's not that hard. Far from unintelligible.

I'm enjoying it so far, the strange words and terms go a long way towards making the setting seem rich and exciting and I look forward to learning more about the world.

Denis Villeneuve's films are going to blow both out of the fucking water

Attached: Denis_Villeneuve_Cannes_2015.jpg (220x310, 16K)

How was Jodorowsky's Eternal Poetry film? Not seen it yet

who the fuck considers it a "masterpiece" is what i want to know

me you big fucking retard

how fucking dare you. get fucked

they are comparable in a lot of ways now I think of it

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I didn't know about this! Incredible!

It gets good three books later, but not good enough to be worth it.

Aesthetics were amazing, but I didn't think he captured the elitism that most the characters were supposed to express.

Yeah I just finished God Emperor and that’s basically my opinion as well. Good series but given its monumental place in sci-fi I can’t help but think it’s overall somewhat overrated. With the exception of probably the first one, every book is so sterile throughout and then there is a rush of action in the last 20 pages and then a sudden ending. Herbert is autistic

>implying that's a bad thing

Only books that have left a lasting impression on me like Dune are the Book of the New Sun books. What do you think is better than Dune?

Nobody serious that I've seen. The most I've seen is people calling it one of the greatest sci-fi books, which is a bit like being the tallest dwarf in the room tbph

Sci-fi has accomplished writers, it being soley genre-fiction is a meme. Lem even made it into the western cannon. Dune is for plebs though, I admit.

Actually watch Lawrence of Arabia before regurgutating retarded memes.

Bene Gesserit are evil Jewess whores user, it's revealed later on

Feyd and Rabban are nephews, not sons. The Baron was a fag, only reason he ever had Jessica was because the Bene Gesserit wanted his genes and he wanted to hatefuck one.