Will there ever be something better written on videogame art criticism?

Will there ever be something better written on videogame art criticism?

Attached: on-the-genealogy-of-art-games-small.png (270x403, 270K)

Huh Schiller fag I thought you had went away

Hello Duchampfag, my old friend.

i've never seen this mentioned outside of Veeky Forums

of course, it's a shitpost

Your point?

It's a meme. If you read it you'll see it's not even art history, just idiotic polemics.

I've read it a couple times. It's not academic art history, but that is not grounds for its dismissal. It's a thoroughly Nietzschean analysis of art.

It's not art history at all, it's polemics. And the link to Nietzsche is there to attract retards, there is no actual understanding of his genealogical method.

It is a polemic, but again, that's not grounds for the dismissal of its entire historical analysis.

>the link to Nietzsche is there to attract retards
No it isn't, because he extrapolates on the points that Nietzsche makes, and the points he raises which aren't backed by quotations from Nietzsche are still strongly Nietzschean (i.e. aligned with will to power). This is a flimsy retort; if anything, you are the one virtue signalling right now, considering you started off with the case that the work has no value simply because it is not talked about often.

>there is no actual understanding of his genealogical method.
Then why is he so spot on about the "art games" nonsense?

Videogames are never art so idk whats he is ranting about.
t. played videogames

>an aesthetic experience can't be had with video games
Why not?

That's not what user wrote. Aesthetic experiences de not necessitate art, btw.

>an aesthetic experience
You can get such an experience from anything if you know what to look for so yes, with that definition of art vidya is also art since you cant exclude anything.

What definition of art are you talking about?

the one where the player can’t glitch into the artwork and put lolis everywhere you fucking faggot, the one where “press b to fuck this nigger’s head up” isn’t available. fucking infantile insipid follower, thinks he’s above others, takes N’s work and uses it to ape him for his manchild philosophy. You people have zero self awareness, exactly like /pol/ and christians

no but art is not limited to your myopic definition of it either

chill out mate, Veeky Forums knows this book is goonan-tier

ironic coming from someone who thinks he can "will to power" videogames into art

A work of art is a human creation that epitomizes the application of the tools and design of the sensory forms which dictate an artform. Such creations are known only by the aesthetes of an artform. By saying that videogames are never art, you are implying that there cannot be videogame aesthetes, which implies that mastery of videogame design is impossible, which implies that comparison between any two videogames is impossible. But we can compare two videogames, which means mastery is possible, which means aesthetes can exist, which means works of art in videogames can be recognized.

Attached: goethe-schiller.jpg (450x450, 42K)

great word salad desu

And I didn't write the comment about videogames never being art.
Did you write the book in the OP, user?