Why is religion almost always based is asceticism?

Why is religion almost always based is asceticism?

Attached: religious-symbols-graphic.jpg (3300x2550, 413K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17717102/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because it makes you realize things from a perspective deprived of contingency

Asceticism is always the conclusion. You'll get there eventually.

>Abrahamic religion = some pagan religion
Retarded image

>Asceticism is always the conclusion

Why tho?

Because suffering stems from desire

Even the Buddha cautioned not to go full retard ascetic.

Attached: Emaciated Buddha.jpg (837x1134, 920K)

Not eating causes suffering though.

For a religion to be successful, it must have mass appeal. Asceticism has mass appeal because the majority (i.e. the mediocre) are incapable of living up to the demands of individual greatness (which is nourished through the senses and is only ascetic as a byproduct, not as an obligation). The wise men who bestowed religion on the world knew this and chose to charm and warm the spirit of the mediocre by upholding asceticism and through that giving them something to value in life which they are capable of manifesting.

Half of the symbols in that image aren't representative of religions.

>Implying bugchasing isn't the religion of the homosexual

14 ribs but why

World-hate, idealism and the priestly caste being feeble bodied

"You cannot serve two masters" or something like that. Devotion to truth is easier when you're not devoted to money, power, sex, etc

Why does religion have a slave mentality to it?

you gain a paradoxical freedom by following fanatically only one law, compared to, say, being driven by several unattainable, contrasting desires. if you want to please everyone and be pleasant to everyone you become kinda schizo as it’s impossible to mute constantly without losing your integrity.

Anything can represent slavery if you devote time and effort towards it. We're all slaves to food, because we must eat it, and we want to eat it. You can free yourself from this slavery, but die instead.

But the phrase "you cannot serve two masters" has a meaning which may be represented in contexts without slavery. For example, "you cannot be a passenger and a pilot." A passenger can sleep, get drunk, play games, etc. while the pilot must fly the plane. Simply put, you can't just pursue different goals and expect to achieve all of them as well as if you did one alone. If you're pursuing something because you desire it, this may be slavery in the deterministic sense, but not as willful submission.

Because it's good for you.

Nobody actually enjoys quantitative hedonism. If you look at the stereotypical rock musician they are actually ascetics in comparison to the typical average normal person. Think about how many rock musicians make it big. Now think about how many rock musicians have lived under bridges, in flea ridden hotels or vans. Many hardcore punks are actually straightedge. Like Dante and his Beatrix or Sufi saints, a sense of longing for the absent can be appreciated for its own beauty. I would also take inspiration from the Orphic mysteries. In popular culture they were depicted as depraved sex maniacs but were actually ascetic tradition.

A pursuit of pure unrestrained hedonism and unhinged passion does not necessarily lead to the typical lifestyle ascribed to it and I think it can lead to the pursuits of spiritual heights and asceticism as well.

meandering and pointless

T. Read Nietzsche's wikipedia page

Off yourself pseud

>Nobody actually enjoys quantitative hedonism

I do.

Great people are ascetic as a byproduct of their great personal longing, not out of moral obligation. There's a difference.

Then eat, retard. Obviously you have to take care of your basic needs too.

Attached: bugs-bunny-gif.gif (380x284, 358K)

Many rock stars could have chosen to be respectable astrophysicists, bankers or garage mechanics instead.

How is living in a van more hedonist than living in a segregated neighborhood?

Most forms of what we call asceticism is a stage on the path. The crude forms known — fasting, sexual abstinence — are just meant to allow our brain and emotions begin to somewhat be freed from the influences of the body and stop thinking and feeling so much under their influence. I’m also convinced there are certain biochemical effects of certain regimens involving fasting and sexual abstinence known to groups of mystics around the world comprising an ancient science which is only recently beginning to be somewhat corroborated by modern science. These regimens can lead to certain neurochemical effects/changes as well, leading to experiences we’d call “mystical”, when really it was just a practical and ancient form of applied psychology/consciousness change. Also, incidentally, capable of leading to greater health.

Anyway, in the end, these crude forms of asceticism aren’t something to be done all the time. In fact, that would probably be idiotic and dangerous for both the psyche and body. Buddha renounced excessive asceticism after getting what he could of it, famously being portrayed as becoming happily plump after that. Jesus ate meals and drank wine like anyone else. The real “asceticism” in the end comes from fasting from certain negative emotions and thoughts which we mistakenly find pleasant. Also this , to put one aspect of it in a shorter form.

>A pursuit of pure unrestrained hedonism and unhinged passion does not necessarily lead to the typical lifestyle ascribed to it and I think it can lead to the pursuits of spiritual heights and asceticism as well.
Underrated.

t.NPC

> the majority of people are capable of manifesting ascetic ideals
sure

>Anyway, in the end, these crude forms of asceticism aren’t something to be done all the time

Caloric restriction (within moderation) is actually the single most effective way to prolong the life of rodents in studies without the use of external drugs

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17717102/

He told you to literally not starve yourself.

He did however deeply encourage giving up possessions, renouncing all family and social ties, living off the charity of others and abstaining from enjoying pleasures of the flesh.

Except people still pretend slave morality as a derogatory concept actually makes sense, retard kun

>famously being portrayed as becoming happily plump after that

That's Budai, not Buddha

>living off the charity of others
Not necessarily self-evidently bad, but I always cringe whenever I think about it

Well let's not forget your average person in ancient India had far more reverence for wandering ascetics than just about anyone today.

It was much easier to support yourself as a homeless monk if you knew that the people in the next town were 9 times out of 10 going to feed you.

While he was alive, Buddha instructed the Bhikkus to only eat what is provided by alms and to also abstain from eating for the rest of the day after the mid-day meal. Compared to the diets of most modern western people that's still pretty ascetic.

Yeah but it feels weird because that just means not everyone can become enlightened and you're profiting off of other who don't follow the true path

I don't think the Buddha ever claimed that the renunciate life was the only path to liberation. In fact I believe there are suttas referring to very pious householders gaining liberation for their efforts.

It's just that it's a lot harder to become enlightened without becoming a monk.

>le i denounce this world and the reality of it, the only reality i know, for an abstract idea
smart people find spectacularly clever ways to misunderstand things and become confused

:(

Slavert to God is true freedom.

Woahhh, I ought to subject myself to a life of vice and relativism since I ain't no slave broooo

t.butthurt religfag

>Asceticism has mass appeal
wut

>Jesus had a slave mentality because he hung out with prostitutes
>Buddha had a slave mentality because he rejected theistic religion
>Mohammed had a slave mentality because he murderfucked the shit out of his enemies
>Prince Arjuna had a slave mentality because he thought of both Jnana yoga (self-knowledge), Bhakti yoga (love to a personal god) and Karma yoga (doing good) as legitimate paths to enlightenment.

Which did you pick?

I guess you could call me an antitheist and a materialist but I think religious texts (similar to Dawkins) should be widely studied in schools as part of our cultural heritage. I also greatly enjoy writing and reading religious poetry. While I value spirituality I can't accept claims of inerrant holy texts, immorality and unwarranted metaphysical baggage. I don't think there is good evidence for reincarnation, a loving god, heaven or hell or that many traditional paths to enlightenment and happiness actually work that well. If I have any God at all I guess it would simply be The Good similar to Platonism but without all the metaphysical stuff. Simply put: If The Good is "what you should do" then why ever obey anything else above The Good?

In theory I am an atheistic fideist who takes faith in morality to deliver me out of despair. Morality is simply one means of many to gain extra value out of life through helping the best interests of others. Morality isn't required beyond what makes a society flourish but you'd simply be a fool to miss out on the possible extra value it can add to a life. And people get meaning out of morality because they're social animals.

However, I have doubts and think value nihilism also makes a lot of sense too. As well, I find the kind of spiritual hedonism I outlined in tempting. The spiritual pursuit of God (I identify with The Good) through the unbridled passions of serving your fellow man, poetry and struggle against mortal limitations (ascetism, meditation, self-discipline, depression, longing, sin, existential predicaments) to find immortality (not physical life after death but a metaphor for meaning in life) and escape death (not a physical death but a spiritual death of nihilism and lack of meaning.)

It is amazing that people still care about spooks in 2018, it 's like you refuse to acknowledge that your intentions and the results of your actions are mediocre.

Woaaah I ought to flagellate my body for the rest of my life since I ain't no hedonist bro
>complains about vices
>browses 4chang

>Morality is simply one means of many to gain extra value out of life through helping the best interests of others.
Where do you see the dead people user?