So, now that the dust has settled

what's worse, masscult or midcult? lowbrow or middlebrow?

after reading pic related, i was inspired by 'hamilton groupon' user to try to find an answer:
>danielle steele or toni morrison?
>national enquirer or the new yorker?
>hot 97 or npr?
>supercuts or yuppie men's salon?
>wifebeater or plaid shirt?
>mcdonalds or small plates?
>colt 45 or malbec?
>country music or rap?
>college football or a coffee tasting?
>tom clancy or kwame ngobongo?
>street fights or spinning classes?
>working construction or being a 'creative'?
>lady's night at hooters or a hamilton groupon?
>baltimore or new york city?

Attached: 71iLTyqnmlL.jpg (750x1200, 226K)

college football is patrician you yankee faggot

something can be simultaneously low brow and high brow, but not middle and high or middle and low

Since I'm the only other person on this board who's read this essay I feel compelled to reply that midbrow is far worse than lowbrow because like he says midbrow is seen by it's consumers as an alternative to highbrow which is not the case with lowbrow. Also low brow has the potential to be secretly hb like in the case of something like early mad magazine. Also read his essay on James Agee user it's great

Attached: 1519014907456.jpg (720x720, 100K)

Broke: being a college football fan when you didn't go to college yourself

Joke: Being a fan of your alma mater's big-time FBS team

Woke: Watching your Ivy League or NESCAC alma mater's homecoming game.

>nescac
patrician alert

its not at all, rich idiots participating in something doesn’t make it highbrow and the South has a lolworthy intellectual culture centered around gawking at their own cultural inertia

ill check it out—whatd you think of his hemingway hot take?

Depends on the middlebrow desu, like Philip K. Dick can be "middlebrow," but is definitely highbrow.

it's not even football. if you'd called it rugby, it would have been patrician.

no

which brow is the one where you rank what falls under the other brows?

Is it legal to just use someone's license plate like that?

But lit can be all of those.

eyebrow

DFW is both highbrow and middlebrow

Wrong, people who don't like PKD are middleborw prancing about like highbrow

sorry but middbrow is the death of soul, being irgnorant is funny. think of how armpit farts can be hilarious or drinking beer with your friends and burping compared to reddit tier constructed irony or pretentious hipster beer affectation

also the fun aspect to both low and high compared to anal retention in midbrow

I don't believe in the existence of high brow.

just because nobody cares about it doesn't make it patrician

Imagine being this poor.

Attached: poor and stupid.jpg (1920x1200, 440K)

Middlebrow is only finding out about a book after it was published by nyrb desu

The trick is it really doesn't matter.
Low brow, middle brow, and high brow all have the exact same negative connotation.
The connotation that says "you're just a manufactured thing falling into the slot that has been designated for you, your whole life is a predictable lie".

>malbec
kek, lambrusco is the patrician choice

Attached: fiercelyunited.jpg (3024x4032, 2.35M)

what the fuck are you talking about? middlebrow goes out of its way to be campy for the sake of mass appeal

love that memory

So is Shakespeare considered masscult?

Love the Hydean File Name

>he doesn't read Zettels Traum in the original german
how middlebrow can you get

It seems to drag down every educational institution it touches.

What makes you think you're the only other one who has read it? Dwight Macdonald's not exactly an obscure figure. I read his essays when I was 16.

G I A N I C O L O

literally the opposite is true

I'd love to know how you justify this position considering the presence of varsity football at nearly all of the best universities in the USA.

>inb4 Ivy League, Stanford and MIT are bad schools

When he basically called Hemingway a fag I loved it. He's right about the man and all his criticisms about 'for whom bells toll' are spot on. Also His recommendation of the short stories is appreciated I like the nick short stories.
Yee exactly.
Noone here reads essays. There are never threads for essays

Attached: Ilikethisbook2.jpg (312x499, 39K)

i’m talking about what the author writes explicitly with great clarity in the essay here discussed which you haven’t read man

Never said it made a school bad, just worse than it could be. Sports culture is a cancer.

t. Reddit McRedditerson

>culture is a cancer.
fix'd

faggot

Attached: mootsp.jpg (349x293, 20K)

Overall, those are some shit choices. "None of the above" is the only choice I could make. It's a "forced choice" scenario, where the questions are designed to provide the pre-determined result. Alternatively, when all choices are shit, ones is forced to chose the least shity of the shit (or chose to not play the game in the first place, as I usually do).

Attached: no it fucked.jpg (350x328, 23K)

>choosing not to play the game in the first place
middlebrow detected

>t. went to a big state school
Not every school worships athletes and admits illiterates just to play ball. Mens sana in corpore sano, nerd.

t. midcult

Only good response.

Defining culture by media consumption is a sign of nocult.

What does he have against the grain industry? I quite like my oats, my wheats and barley. Rice and maize and quinoa, too. I’m sure plenty of these have been genetically modified by Big Grain, but, at least for me, there aren’t many other issues worth writing an essay about.

I am more disgusted by midcult but I have to say lowbrow. The 'midcult' stuff is stuff that should all be lowbrow, but because lowbrow things, and the conditions that make them attractive, exist, midcult can be seen from their vantage as highbrow.

Lowbrow stuff also has no connection to the highbrow. Midcult consumption can prepare you for high culture because it has mixed good in it. Over time, with maturity and sincere ambition, midcult heads to high culture. Masscult just leads to more masscult. The climax of masscult is a binge of masscult.

Attached: 41ykoSHCpFL.SX316.SY316.jpg (316x486, 28K)