Vonnegut hate thread

Why is he so bad, bros?

Attached: C7E29586-BBF4-4B09-9C16-AEEAA41FDBF2.png (865x657, 826K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reocities.com/broncoskz/deer.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

he's horrible—his sense of humor is just like pynchon's (ie reddit x100)

in a way he's like pynchon if pynchon had been a retard

yeah, pynchon has x100 mental horsepower but the same reddit sense of humor

Just stop. You have a terrible sense of humor by the sound of it

He’s not wrong.

He's not.
This board just reflexively hates anything that's popular, especially popular on reddit. Really not that bad of a reflex to have, but it's wrong every now and then.
This is bait, but Vonnegut does cut a bit deeper than that. Read this short story:
reocities.com/broncoskz/deer.html

No I hate him because his books are fucking gay. Stop generalizing everyone that thinks differently than you.

It's not the humor that I dislike. It's the simplicity of the message, not even the prose.

>fucking gay
Nice sober critique.
>Stop generalizing everyone that thinks differently than you
I was generalizing the people that browse this board. Saying that Veeky Forums categorically rejects the works loved by reddit is hardly controversial.

as we should

Umm

Attached: F06AA796-670F-4480-A25D-1C1690F398F5.png (1000x1606, 811K)

>It's the simplicity of the message
There might be something to this, but not every writer is Pynchon. Take Stoner for example. I'd call that a pretty "simple" book in the sense that it's just a character study of a very normal man whose life's most distinguishing quality is melancholy. But Stoner's a pretty good book.

another book i have to dislike now GRRRRRR

can someone redpill me on why reddit is obsessed with stoicism? i have always hated stoicism

As much as Kurt's sci-fi emo sit sucks, slaughterhouse five is still a good exercise at stripping away the romantic appeal of war books. Not "deep" but well done

I like cats cradle and have given a couple copies to people who don't share Veeky Forums approved tastes
Most aren't going to read Brothers K or Moby Dick, but a simple novel that's *fun* at least gets read

Bluebeard is my buddy's favorite book and he gave me a copy. I'm like 3/4ths done and haven't touched it in like 4 months. Should I finish it?

Easy, holier than thou philosophy that people won't accuse you of being holier than thou for.

Contrast it with trying to be a Kantian and never lying.

Veeky Forums's dirty secret is that they all used to like Vonnegut before they saw that other people didn't and now they don't either

Attached: 1511580684301.jpg (540x533, 53K)

I'm trying to become an "active reader" because I'm 20 and never have been, and at this point I figure it's getting kind of embarrassing since all of my friends are.

And I read Slaughterhouse Five and Cat's Cradle. I liked Slaughterhouse a whole bunch more, but was pretty much into both of them.

What should I read after this to be less of a pleb? My friend gave me a copy of Junky by William Burroughs, so that'll be the very next thing I read, and from my understanding, that's a decent direction.

Sooo... Should I not read Slaughter House Five?

The Crying of Lot 49, White Noise, Ubik might appeal to you.

Yes, you should. It's a good book. Vonnegut is a little overrated and he's well liked by casual readers, so naturally Veeky Forums has decided that he's terrible. He's not.

Attached: Screenshot_2017-09-10-12-45-50.png (1080x1920, 368K)

Help me Veeky Forums, I can't help but enjoy Vonnegut's writing. The cadence in his prose is WaCkY and while his satire might be overused as a source of humor I can't help, but find his books intriguing enough to shred through. Vonnegut is almost like a Kafka Lite to me. Where absurdity meets morality.

Cat's Cradle is a meme though. Slaughterhouse 5 is good. Deadeye Dick is a fun, short read. The Sirens of Titan is also bretty good. I think Vonnegut is sold as something he's not. His books do not answer the big questions in life and moral conflicts are often one or two dimensional in his works, but his QuIrKy style keeps one flipping pages. He is a fun read. Not as noble as reading 19th century Russian literature, no, but not bad by any means.

you're a bitch and you should kys your self

Jokes on you. I've only been on this board for 5 minutes. Why should I listen to someone I don't even KNOW?

Attached: 1513483119417.jpg (742x510, 102K)

good point dog