Reading in public

Has anyone ever talked to you because they saw you reading a book they liked in public? Share some stories lads.
>inb4 black guy Plato pasta

Attached: IMG_3791.jpg (275x206, 19K)

But i don't read in public

Only once and it wasn't really anything special, a little bit depressing actually
>reading the brothers K on a crowded train
>I'm about 75% through
>guy sitting next to me is an older salary man, probably in his late 40s or early 50s
>asks me how I like the book, says he read it when he was young and really liked it
>start talking to him about Aloysha and how his journey seems really interesting to me
>he says"uhmm, who was that again?"
>we just start talking about books in general instead since he doesn't remember the book
>I ask him if he's been reading anything new these days
>tells me he only reads magazines now because he's so busy
>says he listens to the radio a lot while driving
>we talk about NPR for the next 20 minutes
I guess that's my future...

Attached: IMG_2835.png (680x497, 235K)

There was a guy reading The Wealth of Nations on the train the other day, I asked him if he was enjoying it.
>Well I have a Masters in econ so like... yeah
>Oh haha... cool. I liked it as well
He got off on the next stop. Was really awkward for some reason

I was reading Daniel Silva in a cafe waiting for some work stuff to happen
Qt waitress mentions she loves the Gabriel Allon series. Talk about fav books in the series. She gave me her number. Never called.
Genre fiction is only thing you should read in public

>Well I have a Masters in econ so like... yeah
Sounds like a snobby pseud

>reading genre fiction ever
No

The other day I was reading at my local coffeeshop and a somewhat cute barista chick randomly slipped me a piece of paper with her name and number on it. Out of reflex I just said "oh thank you," then when I read it I realized that I had just been propositioned. I pretended to be unfazed, but was actually quite flattered. I was reading The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haigt. Highly rec'd.

Anyway, I didn't text her. And now she's spoiled one of my favorite coffeeshops with her overstepping, that daft aposematically colored cunt.

>masters in econ
>just now reading the wealth of nations

you should have slapped the shit out of him

>reading In Cold Blood at a resuraurant at lunch
>waitress says she liked it
>I said thanks I’m enjoying it

you're such a fucking lying nigger fuck

why would I lie about this

what, other than social capital, do I have to gain

>what, other than social capital, do I have to gain
Do you even have to ask lad? The most precious social capital in all of human existence. (You)s. This ones on the house.

>qt waitress
>she gave me her number
>never called
I hope you die a slow, excruciating death.

>black guy Plato pasta
needs to be posted. I forgot it partially
Also, i asked like 5 peope what where thy reading and talked about the book a bit. One pretentious old man became """friends"" with me

One time I was at the thrift store looking at books and a middle aged guy just asked me what types of books I liked, then he told me what type of books he liked and then complained that his wife was going to get pissed at him for buying more books again. Weird but nice conversation

>reading Plato on the subway
>Parmenides, struggling to understand
>black guy next to me glances over
>"Are you an intellectual ?"
>"Not really."
>"That's why you read Plato"
>he smiles and leaves a few stations later
>come home and try thinking of comebacks in the shower

what the fuck

>tfw I never understood this pasta

Attached: IMG_3620.jpg (320x341, 35K)

>go to coffee shop under building
>new place, checking it out
>have journal and a copy of a Kierkegaard anthology
>go up and place my order
>barista notices book
>"that's some nice light reading you got there"

I frequent it now

You must read Plato.

But is he not an intellectual because he reads Plato or because he needs to read Plato in order to become one?

I was reading Bleeding Edge on my bus to university a few days after it came out. Later that day, I was working on a project with a friend, and one of his friends came over to talk. Apparently, he saw me reading on the bus and wanted to ask me how it was but didn't want to interrupt. He was also a big Pynchon fan and he ended up recommending me some random books. He was the first person I met in real life that had read Pynchon, and I never saw him again after that.

he’s insulting him for ostensibly both reasons: that he needs others ideas to think is a sign of mental inferiority, that he is reading plato to do this is a sign of inability to judge what is good for the mind. black man was a Nietzschean and read Schopenhauer to make fun of him for being a weepy poodle fucker

The first one

especially when *you* give them to yourself

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 10.50.01 PM.png (418x112, 19K)

You must read Plato's Parmenides, specifically

@10878168
F-fuck you

Attached: IMG_3913.jpg (400x310, 39K)

>Was at a trendy coffee house in my city's theatre district last December
>the kind where there are just couches and antique arm chairs about
>Order a London fog
>Waitress asks my name, to write on the cup
>"It's Joe."
>"Thanks. Take a seat, I'll bring it over when it's ready."
>find a pretentious arm chair
>continue rereading Light in August
>qt waitress eventually brings my drink over
>"Here you go, a London fog for Joe. Joe Christmas. Enjoy."
>I slowly look up from my book as she sets the over-sized coffee cup on the table.
>diamonds
>she recognizes that her reference has frazzled me
>she shuffles away to escape my stare
>I return to the book
>can't read a single sentence
>can't string two thoughts together
>go home and castrate myself out of principle.

11/10, fuckin funny m8

you should have put him out of his misery desu

eggs’d

I was reading the Count of Monte Cristo in a cafe and taking notes when this old black lady looked me up and down creepily and said "you'll never write like a black man", and walked away. I've never been so close to killing myself, I don't even know why.

>Living in Japan in 2016
>Reading in train, as always (I took the train afuckinglot, like everyone)
>Usually left alone
>Reading next to a girl one day
>She starts talking to me about what I'm reading
>I guess she just wanted to practise her English, probably didn't care about the book
>She was a little weird but harmless. Probably interested in foreigners and/or the English language.

I think that's the only time anyone's talked to me as I was reading. I can't even remember what I was reading, but it wasn't anything too exciting.

That is nice.
I wish old people in book stores would talk to me...

Nice yellow fever weirdo

Attached: tears.jpg (225x225, 5K)

You should've told him about audiobooks.

I was reading Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground on the train on the way back from uni once and somebody sat across from me pointed to it and kinda joked "Dostoevsky? So some light reading then eh?"

I think there was another time I was talking to someone about the book I was reading on the train, I think they were interested in what it was about, but other than other students and lecturers asking me what it was I was reading right then, people didn't really say much about what I was reading unless if they had read it.

the black guy is either saying "that's why you read Plato" so user is improving himself to become an intellectual OR he says it to demean the merit of Plato and call user a dummy plebbo

One of my lecturers read Pynchon and one extra-curricular session he set up with students reading a bunch of written work to help mark it, etc I remember reading something and literally like the fucking pseud I am name-dropped and said it was Pynchon-esque

he caught wind of it and we started talking about some of his books for a little while. it was just a nice little break from staring at pages and pages of essays

There is who works at my university library who would always check out my books for me when I was there. I would typically go around the same time twice a week. I could tell the books I would check out made her curious about me. One time I saw her outside on campus and she came up and started talking to me about books and eventually asked for my number. I had a girlfriend so I turned her down, and now I make sure I only check out books when she isn’t working, out of respect for my autism.

The books were:
>Hugo, Toilers of the Sea
>Kafka, The Castle
>O’Connor, All That Rises Must Converge
>a volume of Schiller’s plays
>Maupassant, Ball of Fat and Other Stories of the War
>Hardy, Tess of the D’Urbervilles

That seems a little rude to just say to some random youth you meet in a cafe but then again she's probably not wrong lmao

I read Kafka on the Shore on the way to university by train and a bookish qt with glasses opposite me looked me in the eyes and smiled.

Of course, being the autist I am, I quickly averted my gaze and continued reading the book, never to see her again.

Sometimes I really wish I was raised to have more confidence in myself.

>at train station, reading Kafka on the Shore
>Japanese girl smiles at me from a nearby bench
>rape her in my dream that night

>I realized that I had just been propositioned. I pretended to be unfazed, but was actually quite flattered.

nice sentences, made me laugh

>reading critical bible on queens bound subway
>crazy eyed middle aged black lady grabs my hands and starts to pray with me

>go to cafe
>forgot to bring a book
>catch waitress at the end of my order
>"you guys have the paper around here?"
>she almost scowls at me
>she goes next door to the gellatisimo
>knocks on their staff room door
>explains something
>gets a paper from there and brings it back to me
>drops it on my table and walks away in a huff

Wtf bitch could have just said no

better say your prayers, whiteboi

lol omg that was me haha

Once I was reading Mein Kampf. A skinhead came to me and we started talking about how we could finish with all the jews and niggers.

People always ask if I'm reading for school. That's about it. I think it's weird since I'm almost 30 and look older still.

>read in public
>bobody talks

Attached: IMG_1825.jpg (300x250, 26K)

reading in public is the most pretentious thing to do
>no real value from reading due to noise and clutter around you
>only reason to do so is "look at me im mr smart i read books lol"

>having a degree that shit
K E K

God I can smell your awful Walmart American burger smell from here you fat retarded cunt. In Europe, where public transportation isn't a joke, reading is common.

>I am so young as to not have to deal with children's activities, commutes, or even blocs of time between class.

Few months back I was reading The Castle by Kafka on the train and an average yet decent looking girl came up to me and awkwardly told me she loves Kafka and the castle is her favorite. I told her I hate the book (I lied, it was alright) and she went away.

Where do you live? I'm in the US and I read on the train every morning and there's almost always a handful of people reading stuff, it's mostly genre shit but they're reading none the less.
lol why'd you lie? Didn't want to deal with her?

>Has anyone ever talked to you because they saw you reading a book they liked in public?

I don't think that's possible for me.

Attached: file.png (634x624, 598K)

>I was reading The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haigt. Highly rec'd.
Seconded

based

Kafka got me laid by a girl I met on the train. Did I feel guilty getting laid for reading the work of a tormented, sexually starved virgin? Never!

You're allowed to read a book more than once.

Tell me user, should I get one?

lol

I read on the phone. People probably think that I browse facebook or some shit. I have enough confidence to not care.

This is very disrespectful

One cannot retain what is read on the phone.

I've retained just as well either on phone, computer, or book desu senpai

yes definitely worth it. be sure to get a paperwhite.

bcuz I said so

>genre-fiction pleb
Had it coming

This is /lit. We don't even read them once.

Is there anything more pretentious, more attention-seeking?

>reading mein kampf in public
BASED

I was reading Youth Without God once, and a 15 year-old Highschool girl with blond short hair came up to me and said she thought it was a great book. I said "Yeah" and got off the train.

Smart.

I read caesars commentary on the gallic war in the bus. Some old people were trying to aee what i was reading and one guy exclaimed the name of the book in latin and said you dont see it very often nowadays. I said it was interesting and i continued reading.

should've fucked her

>be me
>in coffee-bar reading, minding my own business
>ask person next to me to pass cream jug
>it's a girl & she thinks i'm flirting
>"what are you reading user? STRESS FRACTURES IN TITANIUM gosh that sounds erudite" yada yada
>ask her is she always this nosy
>her eyes fill with tears
>notice she's actually a solid 9
>relent
>long story short - we're an item
>only problem: my life is complicated right now
>like, i have to leave the country fast
>dilemma.jpg
>a) ditch her (much more convenient)
>b) stick with her

GUIDE ME O WISE ANONS

Why?

which, in the end, is the same, because how can he judge platon without reading him

>reading public to show everyone how smart and socially maladjusted you are
>not just staring off into space with reckless abandon
literally kill yourselves pathetic nigger scum

should kill yourself for having shit taste. youth without god is awful

>Before class
>See I girl I was crushing on reading "Catcher in the rye"
>She says she doesn't like
>I criticize her for reading in public
>She has a bf

Also
>In class
>See a 10/10 model girl I kinda knew reading "The sound and the fury"
>She's actually a real model, travels to Italy for photoshoots and fashion shows regularly
>After class I talk to her about the book
>Show her my copy of "Intruder in the dust" (also by Faulkner) I've had in my backpack
>Uhh yeah that's it, didn't ask for number or anything, ran into her couple weeks later, had a little chat, that's it

How did you like the 2000 page exposition on how to optimize pin-manufacture?

>Was travelling, sitting in a park in Bratislava
>Reading Chekov
>an overweight young man, acne-ridden, wearing a trilby hat and a cheap suit vest and plaid shirt, unmatching, approaches me
>he speaks to me in Slovakian
>I answer that I do not speak Slovakian in english
>he asks me if I am reading See-fee
>I ask him to repeat what he said
>"See-fee, see-fee, see-fee", he says, like an incantation
>flabbergasted
>"SCIENCE FICTION!!!" he yells, in a mixture of delight and unexplained anger that he finally found the words
>tell him no
>he leaves without a further word, sort of skipping, positioning his arms naruto-style for a brief moment
>take the train to Vienna and blow my money on having thick polish whores with fake tits and bleached hair sit on my face and making me lick their assholes

Who else here /literary lifestyle/?

Yes, it was recess in a jury selection so I read a bit. Someone asked me what it was.

stick it in her.
b I guess. Depends how much of a non-committal faggot you ate.

the second one is pretty normal but who knows, you could have gotten the poon if you tired.

Should've told her she will never smell like a white person.

>wanting to smell like wet dog
Ew

I hope you enjoyed my book.

Attached: IMG_4381.jpg (640x732, 87K)

>due to noise and clutter around you
That stuff helps me read actually. I find it easier to concentrate on reading when I'm walking down the street than when I'm sitting in my bedroom.

Entirety of library system where I live doesn't have it. Thanks for reminder I need to make note to send off for it.

I'll occasionally go to my local library to read/check out a book/reference something etc and the manager always stares at me and follows me around. He's the only male employee at said library. I think he suspects that I steal books, but who steals books, from a library no less? I have a card and don't cause trouble.
It makes me very uncomfortable so I haven't been back in a while. Got a lot of books to read anyways.

I was reading Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus at Starbucks when a man commented about it, we ended up talking and eventually it lead into a four hour discussion. Another guy commented on the book but he was retarded, saying "He's German, do you know any Germans other than Hitler? Do you speak German?"

Attached: The New King.jpg (2000x1333, 551K)

Face it, you're going to dump her the first second you sense the lawman's step behind you.

Maybe he is a homosexual, be careful user.

wtf i love macron now

That was my second thought. Like I said, I haven't been back.
I'd be minding my own business looking for/at a book and I'd look up and he'd be staring me down across the way. Didn't look away immediately either. Things like that. Very strange.