This is my favorite book of all time

WRECK MY SHIT Veeky Forums....

Attached: F7546D25-00ED-4526-AACE-11D5106B0317.jpg (220x329, 41K)

It's unironically amazing

Thanks my user friend**

it’s one of mine as well - it’s a damn good read. no judgement here

I've read it three times and I don't "get" it. It's fucking boring with an average story and the writing is good, but it doesn't make up for the faggy characters and BORING story.

Read Tender is the Night and have your mind blown

It's a good, solid novel. But I must say, if you call it your favourite, it tells me that you haven't ventured too deeply into the world of 20th century literature. Not an insult, because it is a good book. But it's a safe book too (and even names the jew).

I don't know quite how to describe it, but there's a sense that I feel I have. It's sort of sad, pessimistic, but with keen eye for beauty in bleakness, that seems to exist in all of the writers and literary critics I admire. There is a recognition that life is sad and dark but that all of humanity's different strategies for surviving the misery is itself something worth enjoying.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, then you might just not be the type to enjoy literature.

High school ruined this book for me. I can't think of it without remembering my English teacher raving over conspicuous symbolism and cringing at myself for being smug prick because I "got it."

I know the feeling...trust me.

>I don't know quite how to describe it, but there's a sense that I feel I have. It's sort of sad, pessimistic, but with keen eye for beauty in bleakness, that seems to exist in all of the writers and literary critics I admire. There is a recognition that life is sad and dark but that all of humanity's different strategies for surviving the misery is itself something worth enjoying.
>If you don't understand what I'm saying, then you might just not be the type to enjoy literature.
I was with you until the condescending last line.

Fair enough. It wasn't meant to be condescending, but tell me how a person can take the time and effort to read the same novel three times, and not "get" at least some of the things I described about it?

How many times do you think ought to read it before some of those things hit him?

The perfect novel doesn't exist, but if it did, it would be called The Great Gatsby

i mean it's widely considered to be one of the few best books the modern era, and at least one of the top books worth mentioning in the whole of human existence, so i don't really think anyone is going to argue

THE GREEN LIGHT
I hated high school analysis

Yeah it’s kinda open to interpretation. Which is always a scary phenomena.

It's literally a reference to the early stoplights in New York at the time.

umm... sweetie... green light means go

I stand by "Conspicuous Symbolism" being the only thing that exists in this book.
there is the theme of "Better to want than to have", and a boring story about an /r9k/ fag and his roastie waifu who cries about nice shirts. It's loaded with symbolism, but symbolism doesn't make a good book. Overuse of any other literary/rhetoric device wouldn't make it a good book either.

It's flat and not actually worth reading, and hardly even worth talking about.

A simple and common choice, that doesnt change the fact that is still a good book.

Like Chronicle of a Death Foretold, Great Gatsby is entry-level, high school-tier literature. Different literary techniques like foreshadowing, symbolism, and others are shoved into your face quite clearly.

I think it's an important anthropological book that ushered literary minimalism into the mainstream, even if it's so polished and planned that it turns uninteresting

Very good book with fantastic prose.
>reading for plot
>the characters weren’t likeable enough for me
need I say more?

I love it too. I always struggle to understand how people can't empathise with Gatsby - a young man dragging himself out of poverty because the girl he liked was out of his league, getting financial success, great connections, trying his best to appeal to this girl, and he's still out of her league. Daisy is an uppity bitch. Fucking floored me by the end, man.

How the fuck can you like this book you fucking faggot? Are you really serious? This pansy ass flower fucking pussy fuck of a book? Do you have a vagina OP - do you have a vagina? Because this is the type of book where you rub your dirty little clit while you read it, rub it and rub it good, old sport - this is a fucking piece of smut trash, and you should be fucking ashamed of yourself for having it as your favorite novel. I hope you were shitposting - I hope for your fucking sake you were just yanking our chains - but get some fucking taste if not.

>tfw too dumb to follow what was going on

Attached: 1504705366527.jpg (319x331, 15K)

Tom was absolutely based in this novel ngl

How the hell is Gatsby minimalist. Hemingway much better fits that denomination

It is truly the great American Novel

People like literature for different reasons.

I think people go overboard with muh symbols. Its old money vs new money and shows how metropolitan types really arent truly happy even with money and convience around them. Hell the book wraps up with this whole explanation about midwesterns getting caught up in fast pased east coast lifestyles was bad for them. The messages are pretty clear

>the green light
>green is the colour of money
gosh that's clever

Attached: 145f5814de6996c49685c46c7a86bf5be9911bf95719715f9857057d27fe1d15.jpg (1000x1016, 104K)

I remember reading it as a Freshman in highschool and absolutely hating it. There’s something about being forced to read a book that ruins the experience

>There’s something about being forced to read a book that ruins the experience

Exactly

What does Fitzgerald say about Jews?

This

Agreed.

I suppose you've a point about the new/old money idea. It just seemed so silly that that theme in particular was worth so much of the book, so I forget about that part pretty often. Thanks for reminding me.

it doesnt name the jew he’s a fucking retard

There is actually a evil Jew who works as an associate of Gatsby

I’m sorry, you have bad taste.
Most forced meme of a book ever.

people who like literature for those reasons should stick to YA and stay in sffg or gtfo of lit.

What other books do you like?

maybe minimalist is the wrong word, it is a book of incredible economy where every detail is oriented on furthering the story or characterization in some way rather than just creating a scene

The Roaring Twenties - a time of excess and financial over-speculation - is the backdrop of the novel. Throughout the novel, there are two or three references to jewish mobsters/racketeers, as well as a billboard for a jewish doctor, overseeing all of the major plot points.

The implication is that the environment that created the moral excesses was overseen by the jews.

It's fucking fantastic. I mean nothing can be everything and to each his own but fuck it that book is great and tight while doing it. That green light man.

That book literally predicted the depression.

>memories of having the theme of animal farm shoved down our throats before we even read it
The only people I've met with an advanced analytical ability are people who read books on their own knowing there was a message attached to it but were unaware of what it was.

Every time I start a book, I immediately go to the last page and read it, even if it gives no context of the theme. Then I go back and read through the whole book trying to connect each event with the descriptions from the last page. Something about it makes books more enjoyable, and it's probably just getting to connect things with your own rationality. That's why reading sucked dick in school.

Underrated

Attached: 4F5D0E6C-FD54-4C68-A288-39BB69B2380E.jpg (541x805, 72K)

I reread it last year. It's good. Great prose and deals with themes that any human with a true desire for anything can relate to. Anyone who honestly dislikes it or legit thinks it's trash is probably fresh out of highschool, a contrarian retard, or has never actually bothered reading it.

Looking at the light meant "looking forward to a future where you're happy" to me, it's the light at the end of the tunnel. Like something that's right there infront of you, you can see it so clearly, but you're not quite there yet, so all you can do is stare at it. Maybe you do something about, maybe you don't, maybe you run someone over with a yellowcar. The color of the light literally doesn't matter, it's about trying to capture something that you think is just a dream. Anything about green meaning money or the american dream or green for go can be tied into the primary meaning, wanting something you can't have and having to move forward, or "go", to get it.

reading for plot lmfaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

More YA trash, surprise.

Reading for plot is a sign that you're the demographic that YA trash wants. This "lmfao" was for you.

Do you normally write autistic essay responses to shitposts?

do you normally have shit taste?

OVERACHIEVING NEET DETECTED**

Attached: F3D240DD-5CB4-43E8-B940-D14BE98F9988.jpg (710x473, 84K)

That's a very interesting way to read a book. Do you do that for all the books you read now?

It's okay user. Just practice more.

These numbers don't lie. I had this problem with Wuthering Heights.

Why are people always trying to be special? This book is amazing. Is reading not about amazing shit?

Why did the Jews deem Jesus a false messiah? Was it because of the Trinity aspect being incompatible with Judaism? What rationale is given in the Bible/Torah for this?

Attached: j460.jpg (300x180, 9K)

I would always read ahead if I found myself liking the book enough.

From what I understand the jews primarily killed him because he was messing up their business. He was calling them frauds and hypocrites, and was red pilling people. Also it's very difficult to proclaim such a thing as being the messiah without openly showing some sort of proof to everyone, otherwise you'r are inevitably going to get people that say you'r not, because of skepticism.

you don’t understand anything those are just beliefs
Christ didn’t fit the description of the Jewish messiah, the world wasn’t attacking Israel and the Jewish leaders didn’t receive signs of his coming. He was just some mystic who excited the poorest Jews, Nietzsche called it a chandala revolution against the established Jew order and that’s what it was

I don't read much and I found this book quite boring.

This suprised me because I liked catcher in the rye for example.

Maybe was the problem I've read the great Gatsby not in my first language