Pleb Filters

ITT : we post the the definitive pleb filters; that is to say, we will post books which those with insufficient intellect, attentiveness, and/or education are unable to comprehend/complete
Starting with the ultimate western pleb filter : Moby Dick

Attached: file.png (299x450, 306K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dalkeyarchive.com/product/nightwood/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>i was here first, and i have higher tastes cause my privilege was greater, the thread

you have been filtered
next post, please

not an argument

get off my Veeky Forums

argumentativeness belongs on /pol/, so i suggest you go there

Beckett
Salinger
Joyce
Petrarch
Ariosto
Burroughs

>uses /leftwing/ tactics

soyboy confirmed, go back to /v/

I read Moby Dick when I was a kid and enjoyed it. Probably didn't catch everything, but it was thrilling.
What does this make me?

>literati and intelligentsia sitting around all day reading commentaries and secondary texts, making poetry as exercises for their big saggy brains, musing to their grad students and friends over email about gay things they want them to read, all the while they’ll never once realize they have no contact with σοφία and will die watching their souls swallowed by the void with no answers for why or where they’re going, screeching into the night without any sight of what they really were before disappearance.
bbbbbugs

dude you are pretending to be dumb and baiting and everybody knows it so just either say something really funny or stop
makes you smart probably, which is kind of a bad case in the modern world, cause being self-aware pretty much condemns you to being depressed and suicidal
yea dude, we know

-Retains less than 80% of each book they read (ie after a week they only have a vauge memory of the text and its themes)
-Only reads one translation of a text
-monolingual
-Doesn't take notes
-Doesn't read secondary works
-Doesn't read endnotes
-Has a difficult time explaining what a text is a about.

>fuck people who study and preserve these things for a living I'm obviously superior because I'm a manchild who can only express himself through cheap stereotypes and memes

>Salinger
In my experience Salinger has been fucking excellent pleb filter. I've made many girls cry and several men pretty uncomfortable after reading A Perfect Day for Bananafish.
The parts where Seymour talks to the little girl and then his sudden suicide always get people. They always think he's a pedo and then are shocked and horrified by the suicide, and then confused when i try to explain the story.

i fear that unless something is done, this is the future

Do you mean that if you're going to stay a manchild if you don't do anything about it?
Who would've thunk

why would you read a book with dick on it's title are you a faggot or something haha fucking pleb

t. assblasted brainlet who didn't read moby dick

Attached: brainlet.jpg (217x326, 10K)

Hate to be that guy, but a good deal of female authors, mostly because of the "women can't write" meme:
>Emily Bronte
>Virginia Woolf
>Alice Munro
>Mavis Gallant
>Gertrude Steine
>Eudora Welty
>George Eliot
>Elizabeth Bowen
>Toni Morrison (she's good, get the fuck over it)
>Flannery O'Conner
>Jane Austen
>guaranteed replies

Attached: 6ade6b320c6285428c8abacd8f2a8924bcff5317a3f3fc2e3c453ce8d3697c38.jpg (534x388, 30K)

Djuna Barnes too

I remember reading this in elementary school. Why is it such a meme on lit? Did some closet nazi recommend it or something?

You forgot the best of them all, Emily Dickinson.

Fuck, I was thinking only of fiction writers. Yes, she's one of the greatest of the English-language poets.

>Heidegger without Jose Ortega y Gasset

it look like a penis :D

Attached: 1511378468979.jpg (750x924, 106K)

>fuck people who say they study and who claim that they’re necessary to preserve the form of ideas
yes, those people are lying fraudulent cowards. you wouldn’t let someone who is pretending to know how to fly a plane continuously crash planes, land randomly with you on board or in any way fuck up your flying experience would you? of course not, so literati, pretenders to knowledge and vigorous “”study”” which is there word for copy, should be removed like the imposter pilot

Haven't actually read her, but I've been wanting to. She's got a couple of editions published by the Dalkey Archives I've been thinking of ordering.

Seems like you're the only intellectual imposter here, buddy

They aren't doing none of those things you stupid fucking manchild. Read some Bloom, Auerbach or Hazlitt you fucking pleb. Kys. Retard.

>”nothing happens”

Attached: 989C22B8-5FA0-4847-A95E-92CEE2CF8E38.jpg (948x1384, 55K)

You see yo6 like eating food and probably dont like eating shitso what would you say if someone shitted in your food and you would probably be like "no dude i dont like eating shit" and he would still shit in your food and you would eat it and you see the argument of yours is like the shit and the food is our board and the dude who wants to shit in food is you so if you dont like eating shit please leave because you dont want to be a hypocrit ok

>Toni
did she write anything else like The Bluest Eye that book was nine lovely orgasms.
ALSO you forgot Joy Williams.

This was a standard pleb filter prescription on Veeky Forums before we took the final dive into the sewer.
>reading for the plot

Song of Solomon and Beloved were both great. I really don't care about the social backlash. Her political approach is something I can appreciate, I wouldn't be offended by it.

As for Joy Williams, so far I've only read "Health," thought it was fantastic. Does she have a collected stories volume?

>Song of Solomon and Beloved were both great

Attached: 1521685928988.png (305x165, 5K)

See, I like your post and pic, I can appreciate it without getting offended. Made me laugh and reply, 8/10.

Which is the best translation of Moby Dick to read in English?

Moby Dick was one of the first canonical books I've read, it's very overrated in terms of how much reading comprehension it requires

None of them except Burroughs and Joyce

Go back to finishing your Jordan Peterson book, you're very gross
Putting a single book or an author as a qualitative threshold simply won't cut it.

There is real solution, though; those who appreciate verse poetry versus those who dislike it or don't 'get' it.

>None of them except Burroughs and Joyce
Wrong

None of them except Joyce, then.

Still wrong

Fagles for aesthetic, Lattimore for literal

Moby Dick is not a pleb filter. Tons of everyday, average sci-fi readers love it. Even worse, every dumb fuck on Veeky Forums loves it.
Talking about pleb filters is a strong indicator that you're an insecure pleb who is reading for the wrong reasons.
That said, I'll offer one candidate who seems extremely popular among authors and geniuses, but who gets almost no love at all from even "literary" common folk: Henry James.

tl;dr: Henry James

This, no bigger sign of an imposter pseud than someone who dislikes poetry

>That said, I'll offer one candidate who seems extremely popular among authors and geniuses, but who gets almost no love at all from even "literary" common folk: Henry James.
Henry James was a soap writer of hackwork.
>populat among authors
Shat on by Wilde, Mencken, Nabokov, Lawrence, Woolf, even Borges said his work lacks life.

says someone who gets his opinions from wikipedia...

Attached: index.jpg (224x346, 15K)

Curious to see why Mavis Gallant is up there. Any recs? I read through The Moslem Wife when I was much younger and I'll admit it didn't take.

>Wikipedia isn't a legitimate source
So I guess all those people who used encyclopedias in the past were idiots too

Is there a difference between any one edition over another?? I'm aware New Directions has published Nightwood, because that's the edition at my local library, and also how I find new things to read.

>use for information
>use to form opinions
right

dalkeyarchive.com/product/nightwood/
I read a pocketpaper back which was pretty stellar, but Dalkey claims to be definitive

Hmm. I might buy it. Most books I buy end up donated to the library anyway. Frees up space in my tiny apartment, and then other people get to read it.

The other Dalkey books I've read were Zündel's Exit and Vishnevetsky's Leningrad. I'm a NYRB and NDP pleb.

I've never read the Dalkey edition, but I thought it was still great. It's a book that - if you like it - you'll want to read again. So maybe read your library's edition first and then decide

>makes you smart probably, which is kind of a bad case in the modern world, cause being self-aware pretty much condemns you to being depressed and suicidal
nope, that's just narcissism and self-absorption

Henry James? Almost nobody likes him except Harold Bloom

My Moby Dick experience.

>Had heard Moby Dick called a pleb filter before.
>Decide I'm up for the challenge.
>Order a nice, inexpensive copy off amazon (pic related).
>After it arrives, I wrap up the short novel I was reading and brace myself for a great and challenging novel.
>Make a cup of tea
>sit in my reading chair
>hold the book and say aloud to myself, "Moby Dick, by Herman Melville," as is my custom.
>turn to page one
>"Llamame Ismael. Hace algunos anos - "
>the entire book is in Spanish
>I made it two sentences before admitting my inherent plebness

Attached: mobydick.jpg (333x499, 39K)

I read that when I was 8, I thought it was a children's tale.

No, it's a whale's tale.

what are you meant to read for?

if you don't speak spanish as your mother tongue you really shouldn't even attempt moby-dick
I guarantee you will miss its subtle intricacies

the prose user. the prose

Attached: 1492145222142.jpg (236x226, 11K)

>reading for the prose
1 tier worse than reading for the plot

What's on the top, though?

I'm reading Moby Dick now, since I realized I read the abridged version as a kid. I'm at the part where Captain Ahab gives the speech to the crew.

I love the part where the 2nd Mate is telling in detail about his dream about getting kicked by Captain Ahab with a peg-leg and it's discussed in length. It's perfect. It's hilarious.

Only trouble is I don't know what kind of accent these people are supposed to have. Like cartoon pirate or Scottish or what?

For anglos at least

Attached: gert.jpg (1972x2432, 2.45M)

Reading for bragging rights

Reading Finnegans Wake

true patricians read for the aesthetic quality of the experience of reading itself

With regards to economics it is writers like Léon Walras or Vilfredo Pareto who are the pleb filters. As opposed to being satisfied with the atrocity that is the LTV the people who read onward in economic thought will find it getting heavily mathematized. This is something that needs to be studied no matter what your position is, after all even Mises criticizes some Fisherian mathematical concepts in his book Theory of Money and Credit.

But what are you gonna do, plebs don’t want to read equations.

happy human beings don't want to read equations

>its economics acolyte user who can’t post on Veeky Forums because physicists and theoretical mathematicians will kick his teeth in so he posts on here thinking no one has taken enough logic courses to figure out no matter how much maths is tagged on econ can never be scientific and will always be insane ramblings sponsored by billionaires
>tfw the world is dying, the elite are unbelievably evil but econ policies are amoral and select for anti-social behavior
>yfw you know you don’t need to understand grad level math to be able to tell that econ doesn’t understand or care about its own inherent flaws, supply vs demand side fiscal/monetary policy, business cycles, fluctuations in employment, automation, welfare
feels good to be a stupid pleb

JR
Watt
The Man Without Qualities
Spenser
Ashberry
Mallarmé
Villon

Most things flew over my head when I was younger, especially a contrarian undergrad. Gallant's short stories are what she's really known for. Her language is sparse but her psychology is similar to Alice Munro's, both of whom were/are Canadian (though Gallant wrote in Europe).

See what I mean?

narcissism is as un-self-aware as it gets tho. do you even know a single thing about narcissism?

You can literally make a thread in Veeky Forums about economics and they will agree it’s a science.

Moby Dick is the most overrated book in human history. I pity all the highschoolers forced to read that crap

t. high schooler who didn't understand moby dick

>moby-dick in spanish
isn't that basically Blood Meridian?

Absalom absaom