Best italian lit

best italian lit

best authors
best books
best publishers
best blogs

italian speaking people especially invited to interact

Attached: 1DD49260-2401-44BD-B449-96C861FEEE7B.jpg (324x216, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

scaruffi.com/fiction/besti.html
filosofico.net/severino.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Recently I've read The name of the Rose and I really liked it

>Best author
Gadda
>Best novel
La cognizione del dolore
>Best poet (Dante not included)
Montale
>Best publisher
Adelphi
>Best blog
Beppe Grillo's blog

Prove me wrong

This is what's in my stack:

Dante (Vita Nuova, Rime, Divina Commedia)
Petrarca (Canzoniere)
Boccaccio (Decameron)
Leopardi
Pascoli

Parini (Il giorno, Odi)
Alfieri (Rime, Saul, Mirra)
Foscolo (Odi, Sonetti, Dei Sepolcri, Le Grazie)
Carducci
D'Annunzio (Il Piacere, L'innocente, Il trionfo della morte, Laudi, Notturno)
Saba (Oboe sommerso)
Campana (Canti orfici)
Ungaretti (L'allegria, Sentimento del Tempo, Il Dolore, poi leggi quelle scelte da La terra promessa e da Dialogo nella raccolta Trentasette poesie)
Montale
Tomasi di Lampedusa (Il Gattopardo)
Quasimodo
Pavese (La luna e i falò)
Pasolini

I forgot to mention I already read Boiardo, Ariosto and Tasso's epics.

Ti manca lo Zanzottone nazionale

i agree with everything expect i tend more on arbasino and hell yeah italian internet/blogosphere is embarrassing, a bunch of weak fags dreaming to become social media managers

you have to add alchyone man italian didn’t recover after that

C'è il tizio della teoria della classe disagiata che è interessante.
Bjorko Dio per la musica

è che tendono a essere una specie di parodia di Veeky Forums/reddit, fissati con il personal brand, tendenzialmente paraculi, tendenzialmente de sinistra

porco dioo :D

in generale internet è una merda

Alcyone is the third part of D'Annunzio's Laudi (Maia, Elettra, Alcyone, Merope, Asterope), so it's already in there.

Keep in mind my stack is largely about poetry, so internationally famous usual suspects, such as Calvino or Pirandello, aren't there.

I'll do something about Zanzotto and Abrasino, then.

>best blogs
scaruffi

there used to be some epic blogs on splinder back in the days

Chi? Bjorko Dio?

scaruffi.com/fiction/besti.html
Thoughts?

sick luke sick luke

Scaruffi is a fake, he hasn't read half of those books and just relies on consensus opinion for his lists

non loro nello specifico, i blogger eyetaliani

>5. Elsa Morante (1912): "L'Isola di Arturo" (1957)
I hated reading all of Arturo's quixotic, "adventurous" bullshit going on in his mind.

I'm taking a trip to Italy later this year. I will be visiting Venice, Rome and Florence, as well as areas in the countryside.
What should I be reading now to gain an appreciation for the nation for when I visit?

probably something by goethe or stendhal about italy

I just downloaded that book. Wish me luck.
The lives of the painters by Vasari
What day are you going to come to Rome? I'm going to find you and rape you

Something about our country's art history, but I wouldn't know about English works on the topic, though there have to be tons, as more UNESCO Muh Heritage Sites are here than in any other nation.

what do u guys think of tabucci? i'm reading his first collection of short stories and the writing is good but the stories bland.

also recently i read ties by domenico starnone which i found to be the opposite. the writing was rather bland and lacked atmosphere but the idea of the book was pretty intriguing.

Where are you staying in Florence? If you are Hosteling I 100% recommend Ostello Del Bigallo...as long as it’s not peak summer. An old monastery converted into a hostel where you an stay in old monk like cells. Basically a Veeky Forums pseud’s wet dream

why do Italians online get so weird about visitors to their country? genuine question. most Bongs, Frogs, Krauts, and Yanks don't give a shit, so whats up with Italians?

RAGHI any philosophy fags here? where do i start with severino? Also is he the absolute end-game of phil?

Attached: emanuele-severino-1-222x280.jpg (222x280, 21K)

Get some taste, that’s a good book.

Also, read some Spaziani’s poetry this week. Would recommend!

It's asphyxiating enough offline:
- start with an already high population density, everywhere is busy af;
- urban planning here means you get medieval-era historical city centers with narrow roads built with carts in mind, not two lanes of cars;
- your city, no matter how irrelevant in the current year, is treated as if there was a Mona Lisa as big as a whole city;
- everybody asks you for directions even if you're not a local and are a traveller yourself;
- season with migrants to add colour and flavour.

On top of that you have the foreigners online treating our threads/topics/discussions/etc. like tourist information centres. Every fucking time.

Re-read the Presocratics because if you don't know your Parmenides and Heraclitus inside out, he will murder your family. Other influences are usual suspects like Aristotle, Hegel, Nietzsche, Heidegger. Know your history of philosophy.
At this point, if you disagree with Parmenides chances are that you won't like Severino's stuff, given that he's a neo-Parmenidean, or you will probably have him as a sparring partner if you are more properly philosophical.
The only available English-translated work is Essence of Nihilism, so if you aren't ready to read philosophy in Italian that would be your starting and finish line.
Otherwise you would watch his lectures on YouTube and read La struttura originaria before Essenza del nichilismo. He writes a lot of works, but the general pattern remains the same. Which is not a surprising outcome given that the man is the philosopher of eternity.

Thaughts in Elena Ferrante? Is she respected in Italy?

filosofico.net/severino.htm

Lmao

I’m writing my dissertation on Molteplicità in Calvino’s Fiction. It’s going poorly!

she is but for my impression not quite interesting for younger people. usually women from their 30s on like and discuss her. she’s not hated tho.

>tabucchi
sostiene Pereira è il top

Might need to give him a second chance. Nocturne Indien was rather unexceptional.

You ought
Easily one of best Italian novels I've read
Also Donna di porto Pim is Pretty good

Thank you for your explanation, Italy makes a bit more sense to me now. High average temperatures are probably a factor, too.

>ctrl+f
>No Buzzati

Sure is appena usciti dalle scuole medie in here

>Sure is appena usciti dalle scuole medie in here
Calm down and go read some Gracq. Buzzati is second rate. Also, he's on scaruffi's list (lol).

Literally who

Opinion on Moravia? I read La Ciociara and it wasn't bad

>Buzzati
>Second rate

Anche no.
E scaruffi non so chi sia (ho visto il link upthread).

And the humidity. See, there was this pitch black guy from Senegal at the bus stop two winters ago who had the idea of talking to me. He wasn't just complaining about the "famous" Italian cold as predicted - and I took the opportunity to warn him that the cold hadn't even begun - to my bewilderment the African had a problem with the heat as well. The climate must be actually mild as advertised down there, unlike the "mild" climate over here. Meanwhile my parents had a vacation in his paradise lost of a homeland, just last week. You can't write this stuff. After the climate, he expressed his grief with documents and bureacracy: the poor little thing has no idea of the nightmares that are in store for him once he becomes a citizen.
Thus ends the best blog written by an Italian, never to be continued again.
Sic transit gloria mundi.

I just finished The Leopard (in English). Seriously great novel. I can't comment on how accurate the translation was, but it read beautifully in English- it was even funny, which in my experience is something translations rarely manage to convey.

Dante and Machiavelli DONT @

um

raccomandare un libro a un membro sudamericano della diaspora. voglio imparare l'italiano con l'intenzione di tornare alla lombardia

Attached: B.Croce.jpg (1672x2392, 1.55M)

Anch'io voglio imparare l'italiano, e ho usato molti libri per raggiungere questo obiettivo. I primi libri che ho usato sono quelli di Indro Montanelli sulla storia d'Italia, perché sono veramente facile da leggere, e sono anche divertenti. Non è un tipo particolarmente rigoroso di storiografia, ma comunque...

Tra i grandi autori, credo che Italo Calvino sia forse il più facile e accessibile per un lettore hispano o lusofono.

Di dove sei? Sono del Nord-Brasile, ma non ho ancora tutti i documenti di cui ho bisogno per ottenere la cittadinanza italiana. Mi manca solo uno di questi - la atta di matrimonio dei miei bisnonni - ma non credo che lo troverò, perche già ho molto ricercato, e probabilmente avrò bisogno di andare al tribunale per fare una atta postuma. :/

Questi sono alcuni di quelli autori che mi hanno più piaciuto mentre imparo l'italiano:

Dante - tutta la opera, ma sopratutto la Commedia e il Convivio, che è veramente una lezione sulla specificità del vocabolario poetico e la importanza del linguaggio rigoroso nella poesia;

Petrarca - sopratutto i rari poemi in cui non parla della sua amata Laura, perché è stato forse il più grande maestro dello stilo in tutta la storia della letteratura Occidentale dopo Virgilio e Orazio, ma non aveva la concisione e precisione di vocabolario che trovammo nel Dante, da modo che lo trovammo qualche volte un po' tedioso;

Boccaccio - narratore semplice e senza preziosità di stilo, pero un grande amatore della vita, con cui possiamo imparare molte cose su il significato della felicità;

Ariosto e Tasso - non sono autori essenziale per chi ha già letto il Petrarca, ma sono stati maestri comunque, e hanno avuto immensa influenza sul Luis de Camões, il più grande autore della mia lingua.

Michelangelo - molte persone non lo sanno, ma Michelangelo è stato anche un grande poeta, e Joyce lo considerava meglio di Petrarca.

Leopardi - forse il più grandi tra tutti i poeti romantici, paragonabile soltanto a Goethe e Keats, nella mia opinione. Non posso paragonarlo a Hoelderlin perché non so leggere il tedesco, ma è stato sicuramente un più grandi poeta di Byron o Hugo.

D'Annunzio - un esteta, un po' similare nella sua visione delle cose a Oscar Wilde. Piacevole.

Ungaretti - grande poeta, maestro dello stilo minimo e del verso libero, ma anche capace di fare delle cose belle con i metri classici. In Portoghese, Murilo Mendes mi sembra un poeta un po' similare, e furono grandi amici ambedue (Ungaretti ha tradotto Murilo).

Quasimodo - un poeta sereno, senza grande animosita di stilo, e di una bellezza pura, severa, marmorea.

Montale - tra i tre grandi del novecento, credo che Montale sarebbe quello che mi farebbe il più grande piacere, perché sono un formalista. Pero, il suo libro non ha mai arrivato da quando lo ho comprato sull'Abe Books, da modo che non posso giudicare la sua poesia. Ho letto soltanto dieci poemi suoi...

Scaruffi's list for Portuguese literature is awful. He gives Jorge Amado a high place, which can only mean he hasn't read him.

>Best authors
Giorgio Manganelli, Alberto Savinio, Rodolfo Wilcock, Curzio Malaparte

>Best books
Hilarotragoedia, Achille Innamorato (Gradus Ad Parnassum), La Sinagoga degli Iconoclasti, Il Volga Nasce in Europa

>Best publishers
Adelphi, SE/ES, Nottetempo, Volando, Feltrinelli, Mimesis, Il Saggiatore, Bollati Boringhieri, Einaudi (the Piccola Biblioteca series)

>Best blogs
They are cinema ones, but Oltre il Fondo and Emergere del Possibile

Here's my list as an Italian literate bastard

ragazzi dovete leggere qualcosa di più attuale perché il vostro italiano non è molto moderno eheh bravi comunque. leggete qualche libro a caso, magari classici tradotti in italiano o autori italiani recenti. gadda, arbasino, flaiano... tornate al presente.

Purtroppo, non ci ono dei libri di Manganelli disponibile qui in Brasil nel originale italiano, soltanto in tradozione.

Mi sembra di essere un autore veramente interessante.

>Finito di stampare nel mese di aprile 1964 dalla Edigraf di Milano, il libro, composto nello stile saggista-avanguardista tipico di Manganelli, è una sorta di manuale per la discesa all'Ade, cioè sulla morte, intriso di umor nero e di grottesco, di deliri onirici.

>perché il vostro italiano non è molto moderno

Lo so, hehe. Voglio usare dei film per correggere questo errore.

Purtroppo, i libri italiani moderni non sono facile di trovare qui nel Brasile. Ho cercato i libri di Magris, Campanelli, Zanzotto, Sanguinetti, e non ho trovato niente, soltanto in traduzione.

It means portuguese lit is trash lol. C'mon now.

Cosa ne pensate del libro La Solitudine dei Numeri Primi, di Paolo Giordano?

Ne ho trovato qui in Brasile nel originale, lo che è veramente una rarità per un libro italiano cosi recente, ma sta un po' costoso.

Where's the Julius Evola?

Check out Roberto Calasso. He has an amazing book on Kafka called ‘K.’

It really isn't, but even most Portuguese speakers are not particularly familiar with the superior classics.

I am thinking of writers such as the old troubadours, Fernão Lopes, Fernão Mendes Pinto, Sá de Miranda, Antônio Ferreira (as much a master of style as Petrarch was), Antônio Vieira, Bocage and others, not to mention the lyric works of Camões. Among the moderns: Euclides da Cunha (well-known, but seldom read), Lobo Antunes, Cardoso Pires, Jorge de Lima's A Invenção de Orfeu, Gerardo Mello Mourão, and others.

The fact of the matter is that Portuguese writers have never been properly translated into English, and this most likely will never happen, because English speakers aren't particularly interested, and Portuguese speakers cannot write properly in English, for the languages are too different. Furthermore, our best writers are overwhelmingly poets, often writing in highly formal and exuberant, baroquish meters, which makes them much, much harder to translate. Can you imagine translating the dozens of highly intricate sestinas of Jorge de Lima? Or the rich poetic prose of Haroldo de Campos, which abounds with wordplays in every sentence? Pretty much impossible. The fact that Clarice Lispector is loved by foreigners shows a lot about how little you know about our literature. She's kind of minor here, at least among those who really dig deep. The only South-American country whose literature can compare with that of Brazil is Argentina, and even then this is only possible because of the enormous presence of Borges, but everyone knows about Neruda, Marquez, Llosa, Bolano, Rulfo, while ignoring João Cabral and Guimarães Rosa, both of whom are probably untranslatable anyway.

We are mentioning the likes of Montale and Petrarca and you want us to talk about Evola? Seriously?

I've read most of that stuff in french actually, but the translation is probably just about as sparse. I'm noting a lot of names down. Thanks for the genuine answer btw.

Also, even as far as poetry goes, I don't really believe in the -untranslatable-. It'll be imperfect, inevitably, but if the poetic vision should always come through somehow, always.

A última flor do Lácio é muita bela para os gringos.

meh non è molto /lit

the poetic vision should always*

ranted there is s poetic vision, ofc, which few poets really have.

i’ve read lispector bc adelphi publishes her in italy

few people talk about him, mostly nerdish philosophy students. there was speculation calasso was buying his copy rights

What I mean to say is that it takes a poet of equal caliber to make a proper translation of someone like João Cabral. Brazilian poets in the second half of the twentieth century tended to be *very much* focused on language. Every single word mattered like their own life to the point it really became a vice, and many poets started writing confessional or outright neoclassical stuff in order to counter those trends. It did left an impact, though, and many of the best poets were associated with those trends. Perhaps Richard Zenith could be competent enough to translated them, and he did translate João Cabral, but I haven't read it.

Translating from Portuguese in French and Italian is probably twenty times easier than it is in English. You should check for poets such as Carlos Drummond, João Cabral, Ferreira Gullar and Murilo Mendes. Jorge de Lima was a beast, very formal, very compact, who wrote such crazy works as sestinas with verses of seven-syllables, which would be hell for any translator, so I don't think it would be worth reading a translation of him, even though he wrote one of the most peculiar poetry epics of the century (A Invenção de Orfeu).

Yes, she's pretty good and very famous outside of Brazil, but we really do have many better writers. I even made a thread about it some weeks ago.

De Andrade I read, fascinating stuff indeed. Noting the rest, although it will ruin me (financially, that is).

I libri di Manganelli stanno (quasi) tutti su libgen. Scaricalo da là.

I nostri antenati (= Il visconte dimezzato + Il barone rampante + Il cavaliere inesistente) di Calvino.
Fun fact: Calvino was born in Santiago de Las Vegas de La Habana.
Get your books from libgen.

>Best publishers
Adelphi, SE/ES, Nottetempo, Volando, Feltrinelli, Mimesis, Il Saggiatore, Bollati Boringhieri, Einaudi (the Piccola Biblioteca series)
I would add UTET, Bompiani, Rusconi and BUR.
And for the love of God avoid Newton Compton whenever you have an alternative.

Has someone read Landolfi? I read La Pietra Lunare ad was amazed, but now I’m reading his Racconti Impossibili and honestly (maybe because I’m a brainlet) they feel quite lacking
So what do you recommend by him? And also what other authors have books similar to La Pietra Lunare?

Attached: E7E76F36-2940-4147-99CE-1EAB440453AF.jpg (3264x2448, 1.79M)

best way to learn Italian for reading purposes only?

Best publishers are DeriveApprodi and Alegre for sure

Non è granchè ma è scritto in un linguaggio molto semplice e lo consiglio se vuoi imparare meglio la lingua.

what book should I read to impress Italian girls?

Il piacere. Works everytime with art thots.

grazie, I will make sure to namedrop it

Eh, probably something that isn't Italian - go with Baudelaire, Poe, Tolstoj or Dostoevskij