How to Inprove my vocabulary

I want to improve my vocabulary. Right now my vocabulary is bad. I want to make my vocabulary good. I read very much but still my vocabulary is bad. Can you help?

Attached: 1C04264E-BE58-460F-A7E2-BE94B7F3310C.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bFtcLJVN8yg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

sage

Oh, I'm sorry, sir. I'm anaspeptic, phrasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

>inprove

Attached: wojakareyoutrynatrickme.png (323x325, 10K)

just fuckin read nigga haha

EBIC!

Attached: 1520798906515.jpg (575x651, 65K)

Read
Now before you start hitting me with those meme arrows, the best way is to read stuff from different eras.
It's amazing how vocabulary changes from decade to decade, and some genres even use this for the best (like fantasy or terror)
I have been reading lovecraft words and i have got plenty of words to use, some even arcaic or out of use today.
However, if it is about writing, it's about vocabulary but coherence, many times i am stuck with the "but", "then", "and" to connect ideas, and using it a lot in the same paragraph makes it stale.
Instead of getting a lot of cheesy words, try to improve how you write and connect your ideas.

I unironically open a dictionary and just start looking at words that interest me.

rote memorisation of a dictionary

Attached: 6c70c40c2d6ee1041338e0a5717d1f80.jpg (960x720, 79K)

I can't even into a good time reading the dictionary.

Thesaurus

Are the words with X ones you've memorised or used in conversation?
also;
>tfw your best mate gets into mensa and you can't even stop shitposting on the literature page of a Mongolian basket weaving forum long enough to finish reading a bloomberg article.

Listen to serious podcasts. Write everyword down that you don't know and look this up.

Use memrise and learn harder english words

i'll be 100% straight with you, and it might sound cliche:
>Thesaurus
In my experience nothing has helped me more than the thesaurus. It helps me to contextualize words,
Just don't "overdo" it with the big words, in other words don't be excessively flowery and showy.

Roget's thesaurus.

Especially once with categorization.

Webster's has a vocabulary expander that's pretty good.

The best way, IMO, is to actually study the language.

Pay attention to the relation of words that you already know.

You can get a handle on the definition of a lot of new words by being conscious of what prefixes and suffixes and affixes generally mean.

Fuck yourself

Read a lot and write down every new word you learn in a notebook with their definition. Read the notebook before you go to bed and think about how the other used that word, it should be a pretty organic way to learn new words, since you are acquiring them from somebody else's use.

youtube.com/watch?v=bFtcLJVN8yg

keep reading to learn the vocabulary passively and then write a lot to activate it

Honestly go into the dictionary, and pick three random words and say it throughout the day. Everyday do this and you will get better at speaking, also just read more.

I think that may not work out the way you want sometimes because some of the words are specific towards certain sentences, like lets say you want to say "I'm extremely happy with the way this banana split came out" and you went into the thesaurus and wanted to find a more suitable word for "happy", you find "content" and you're like cool that works. "I'm extremely content with the way my banana split came out", it works but it doesn't have the same or greater effect than what you were pursuing in the first place.

This!
Check out Stephen King. You might could find word every other page liquessence for example is on the page of Wizard And Glass that I'm on.

>just start looking at words that interest me
autism

>read books
>highlight words you don't know
>download anki
>put words into anki and study them every day

wow duuude you should totally be a writer

>You can get a handle on the definition of a lot of new words by being conscious of what prefixes and suffixes and affixes generally mean.

This. My vocabulary is large by normie standards, but I still see words in print that I don't know every day when I read good, challenging writers. I've been in the habit of immediately looking up unknown words (or even if I'm not 100% clear) for many years. I grew up with a large print dictionary and now having the one bundled into mac os is a godsend. Making a habit of looking up a word right away seems to make a difference to me.

But the most important part of that is noting all the different usages and reading all the way to the end where it gives the etymology. That's the part that connects it to other words and makes a network in your brain. The language of origin, related words, any root words or affixes will trigger associations. That's why the spelling bee kids get to ask all those questions--those are the things that really make you remember.

Also, give careful scrutiny to the pronunciation guide including syllable breaks and emphasis, then _say the word out loud a few times_ until it flows properly. This is the key to going from remembering what a word means when it comes up to actually being able to recall it unprompted, say it in conversation, and therefore integrate it into your working vocab, both spoken and written.

To encounter new words, you have to read a lot. Nothing ITT is going to help you if you don't read a lot. Not Harry Potter and the National Enquirer, actual good stuff.

This makes me uncomfortable.