Where to start with this man?

Where to start with this man?

Also, is it true that The Temple of the Golden Pavilion is his magnum opus?

Attached: p18-flanagan-mishima-a-20180107.jpg (1202x1600, 836K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lgZegNgm8N4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you should start by exploring your ass
if you didn't like it then he's not for you

Hey buddy I think you got the wrong door, the temple's two blocks down.

Attached: a2e.jpg (564x428, 117K)

Patriotism

or

Death in Midsummer

This

Starting with an author's magnum opus is fucking retarded because you will only be able to appreciate their idiosyncrasies to a limited extent.

Start with Confessions of a Mask and if all the gorey homoshit in there doesn't repel you, go further.

Fack you.

Reading multiple works by an author provides additional elements of interest to a work of literature but these additions are not additive in terms of quality. Reading Typee and Omoo before reading Moby Dick provides new elements for analysis. One can see the development of a style, one can use the others as points of evidence towards theories presented in Moby Dick, one could use the additional texts to attempt to form an image of Meville etc. However without any of these things Moby Dick is still just as good. A magnum opus is good in and of itself without relation to an authors other work.

You can either read a great work by an author first, learn it isn't for you and move on. You are suggesting that people read books known to be of lesser quality before moving onto the magnum opus before being able to decide whether or not this author is for them. If you read their masterpiece and decide you greatly enjoyed then one can read the others. The only thing your approach achieves is a life in which you spend a lot less time reading books that are fruitful for you and much more time reading sub-par books.

i kek'd

Attached: 2anz79rxg7n01.jpg (563x750, 46K)

Start with his feet.

Start with the sailor who fell from grace with the sea. Golden Pavillion is my favourite novel ever

Watch this, then pick out something that interests you personally.

youtube.com/watch?v=lgZegNgm8N4

Don;'t watch this garbage, Jonathan is a retarded pseud.
Start with his most metaphysical work? What?

Attached: Yukio_mishima.jpg (1483x2205, 266K)

did the kids skin a cat in "the sailor who fell from grace with the sea"?

I read it like five or six years ago and that picture just popped up in my head

start with the sailor who fell from grace with the sea

unrelated, but i saw the golden pavilion when it was snowing about a year ago. really beautiful place, all the temples were.

Yes, they also ripped it's insides out
I think it's in like chapter 6

they were real sociopaths, holy shit, I remember the ending too now, I don't want to spoiler, but fuck, fantastic book,

My personal favourite is After the Banquet, but I haven't read any Mishima I would end disappointed with, save for The Sound of Waves.

Attached: a978f49e.jpg (1400x854, 327K)

watch the kino

Attached: DKgsJnsUQAAtQWm.jpg (1200x675, 77K)

Sound Of Waves should not be on this chart you pseud. It's generic garbage that Mishima wrote only for money. It should never have been translated so retards like you wouldn't think it actually counts as part of his oeuvre.

For the anons who have read the Sea of Fertility, which book was your fave?

>stage coup d'etat
>give speech to soldiers below the battlements
>entire life has lead to this culminating moment
>soldiers cannot hear you because your ridiculous 5'1 body cannot produce enough force of voice despite a lifetime of bodybuilding
>fail coup
>fuck it, it was all about the aesthetics anyway
>have homobuddy commit sudoku on you as the last spasm of your homolust exhibitionism
>homobuddy fails to cut off head properly
>die a 5'1 failure and exhibitionist pervert
>venerated by anime-addicted basementdwellers, the kind he would have hated to have as admirers, thus failing perpetually, even post-mortem

Dude, masculinity, LMAO

I only read the first book and liked it because he reminded me of Mann a little.

Just watched it a few hours back,
made me want to live life like a line of poetry, written in a splash of blood. Pretty good. Also, Phillip Glass score 10/10

>>fail coup
>>fuck it, it was all about the aesthetics anyway
It was though. Do you think he actually thought he would succeed?

What he said.

Attached: van.jpg (428x358, 35K)

>kyoko's house has yet to be translated

Attached: 1516562033431.png (808x805, 423K)

First half of III>II>I>second half of III>IV

the coup was supposed to fail so he could kill himself lmao

And it probably won't be

>hasn't started learning moon

New formerly untranslated book will be released in november. There is hope bros, Kyoko's House may be next

Terribly wrong
2=1>4

> It's generic garbage that Mishima wrote only for money.

Completely false, stop spreading bullshit.

He wrote it with strategic interest in regards to his public persona but it was the culmination of his nietzschean revelations that his greek journey bestowed him with.

Death in Midsummer is the best starting point.

His plays are criminally underrated on Veeky Forums. All 3 published books of his plays are fantastic

Sound of Waves is pure pablum and Mishima knew it. It's orders of magnitude less complex than his other work. It's mass market lowest common denominator drivel meant to turn a profit. Literature it ain't. The plot is literally as 'generic Japanese story' as you can get. Muh fisherman's daughter in starcrossed love affair.

No wonder plebs like you praise it.

I can safely assume none of you in this thread have bothered to read his plays, right?