Real men aren't afraid to cry

Real men aren't afraid to cry.

What are some books that are guaranteed to make you cry?

Attached: cry.jpg (740x444, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MoA63WunEJ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Augustine Confessions

Harry Potter

Attached: snape.jpg (225x225, 5K)

milk and honey

Attached: marnie.jpg (314x449, 86K)

I cried at a friends funeral once and I've regretted it ever since. I still remember people looking at me blubbering and I feel shame.

to be fair, I actually did cry

it's a funeral dude

Why are you ashamed, user? There is no shame in grieving for a loved one. People weren't looking at you with pity, but with a sense of empathy. Would you rather be a callous man who lives with indifference? Emotions are a part of life, enjoy them.

Les Miserables

>Jean Valjean sobbing about the criminal scum he’s become and making promise in his soul to be a good person
>The next scene where he’s praying outside the bishop’s door

Ever tim

tfw you cry all the time but no one's ever seen it. I would die of shame if someone saw me tear up

Kenzaburo Oe has a few books that do the trick user

Flowers for Algernon

closest i came to was tender is the night

>never used to cry at anything
>then one day I saw some movie, don't remember which one, but I teared up at the end
>then I started crying at several different movies
>then several books started making me cry

Turns out I'm a pussy faggot, I just had to grow up to realize it.

>14
>at grandfather's funeral
>giving speech about him
>start crying
>can't even finish
>everyone feels the need to talk to me afterwards and say that was "beautiful"
>refreshment tables run out of brownies
>really want to go home

cried a bit during stoner, got me pretty good

>at a funeral, tears coming out a little
>guy on stage invites people to come up and talk about the guy's life and their experiences
>its really important that I get to share how important he was to me, but also not sure i'll get through it all calmly
>get up after a minute and get in behind the next person to speak
>he's finished
>"that should be enough at this time."
augh

was it the part at the end when Gracie said that she and Edith were disappointments and he was thinking of Edith when they first met and Gracie when she was a little girl
because that shit got me

not gonna lie, cried at the end of the Dead just a little bit
but I think it was mostly because I had been tricked into thinking the story wasn't going to be horribly depressing until the last couple pages

crying in front of others is cathartic in the moment and then years later one always realizes that you relinquished status doing that and you will forever be associated with that weakness. Doing this in front of women you love is even worse. you will never know how much damage you did crying in front of friends or girlfriends. There is a good reason men were discouraged from it, it was for their own protection

Unironically my diary desu

I remember one time I didn't cry at a funeral and everything made a big deal about it, like yesterday or maybe the day before

nah, this is bullshit, it really depends on the person and situation
>t. guy who has had friends and family cry in front of them

People think you're a sociopath, ever read The Stranger?

I strongly disagree, evolutionary selection pressure underlies many old social codes of ettiquette user. Men not crying is probably to reinforce sociopathic callousness and to show high stress tolerance. Also Plato wrote about this, he thought that it strengthened the pittying weepy portion of the soul and made us more prone to being victimized by others

If anyone judges you for crying at a funeral then their opinions deserve to be discarded. It's emotionally healthy not to bottle up grief. Don't sweat it, user.

This is the truth. I don't know why people pretend it's okay for men to cry because it isn't and people will subconsciously if not overtly judge you for it.

Who gives a shit? Beta: 'oh no, other people are going to judge me'. Alpha: 'I will do what I feel like doing at this moment regardless of what anyone else thinks'.

No actually it was "To WS" I had to stop for a few minutes and sit with that

I feel like what most people imagine when they say it's okay is the stoic man looking resolute but not quite able to stop a few tears escaping his eyes. Of course when people actually cry they almost always go straight to blubbering which is definitely looked down upon, rightfully or not.

I think it's selfish to grieve like that. You're just drawing attention to yourself and you're making the event about you. It's especially selfish if you're a Christian because it should be a bittersweet celebration. You lost a friend but he's in a better place. By crying and wailing about, in a way you're saying that you losing a friend is worse than him being happier in heaven. For a women it's different because they have different hormones or whatever and they can't control it but a man can and should.

Men had no trouble being stoic and shit back in the day. Now that it's even slightly allowed, we get shit like school shooters and serial killers constantly.

Jesus wept

school shooters aren't usually men, they are boys who still need emotional support and didn't get it and have easy access to guns

Are you actually a Christian? Have you never seen people cry during mass on Good Friday? The fact that resurrection is promised doesn't negate the necessity of grief.

Not sure what you're on about here exactly, but yeah ok, you're right, it's probably the fact that it's somewhat ok for men to cry nowadays that gives us school shooters, rather than the precarious and alienating structures of our society.

>Have you never seen people cry during mass on Good Friday?

Nobody is crying of grief during mass and they're certainly not wailing enough to draw attention to themselves because that would be shameful.

Of course they're grieving, Christ has just died. And as far as ostentatious grief is concerned: if it isn't legitimately felt, then obviously we're dealing with a separate phenomenon altogether, but if it is, then you have no right to censor it based on your personal sense of decorum. Which means that the only logical, and human, thing to do is to assume that all displays of grief, no matter how ostentatious, are legit, feel some compassion for other people, and shut the fuck up.

this but I remember the movie that made me cry first
it was pic related

Attached: Click-movie-poster.jpg (800x1200, 236K)

It's not the same thing as grieving at a funeral and you've admitted as much by saying it is a separate phenomena. If somebody is blubbering and wailing at mass there is something mentally wrong with them. You're trying to compare apples and oranges and now you're getting emotional by swearing and accusing me of not having empathy. This is why you cry at funerals, because you're a child that can't control yourself and that is how people correctly judge you when they see it.

I'm not comparing apples and oranges. I'm saying, ultimately, that the only compassionate response to any display of grief, in any situation, is acceptance.

Of course you are. You're acting like the type of crying that takes place at mass is the same that would take place at a funeral, as if the same customs and decorum apply. I'm not saying that we should bully people who cry at mass. I'm all for being nice and compassionate but I can do that while also judging them negatively. I'm compassionate to the homeless drunk guy who begs me every time I ride the bus but that doesn't mean I have to approve of his behavior.

You missed my initial point equating funerals and (Good Friday) mass. That aside, true compassion and the type of judgement you're talking about are mutually exclusive. The old saw to 'hate the sin, love the sinner' applies here - your problem is that you're rolling them both into one.

of mice and men gets me every time.

>You lost a friend but he’s in a better place.

We don’t actually know if they’ve reached the state of Heaven, there is only a handful of people we know for sure are in Heaven, for all we know they could be in a state of hell. That said, we rejoice that they might be in a state of Heaven with God, but we grieve that they may be in a state of hell.

its not a book but the story of my life

>show up high at uncle's funeral
>grandma gives a somber "how are you?"
>I give a chipper "good, how are you?"
>"what?"
>immediately realize what I did and stare at the floor for about 20 minutes with a look on my face that I hope looked like grief

The ending is what got me. Of all the books I've read, Les Miserable is the only one that's had me actually weeping.

Apart from that, a few moments have brought me close to tears: Don Quixote's apology to Sancho Panza, Dante being reunited with Beatrice near the end of Purgatorio, and the ending of Paradiso.

Attached: vegeta rain.gif (1200x900, 374K)

catcher in the rye had me tearing up. holden talking about the funeral, and when he falls out with ships sister at the end, and the idea of trying to protect innocence which is fleeting.

I remember crying during to kill a mockingbird, I think it was an inconsequential scene when they go to their uncle's or something and scout gets told off? Can't really remember but it reminded me of something similar from my own childhood.

The end of Mason & Dixon got me a little

The only types fiction that have ever made me cry (not tear up a bit but actually cry) are anime and visual novels.

Victoria by Knut Hamsun is pretty heart-wrenching.
Also, not a sci-fi kind of guy but Flowers for Algernon got me pretty good.

Wow, you sound like a healthy individual.

Typical passive-aggressive, effeminate response. Go cry somewhere.

I get what you are saying but holding it in is an unproductive mode of being. Just as you have enough self-awareness to not fuck everything around you the woman you chose to share your life with has to preferably be aware enough to let you experience emotional stuff while pinpointing when you moved into the wallowing territory and to say that she isn't attracted/is disgusted by you atm and what you can both do about it. I'm not judging women for not being attracted to some stuff but the answer "it's ogre jack ur a pussy now" is a fragile one that makes you focus on periphery instead of growth as a person.

Basically yes your status will go down but with awareness, attention and taking steps to addressing the issue it can go up more.

Closest I got was with Crossing to Safety.

post diary

>Don't just cry in front of a woman but later talk to her about how you cried and take steps to help her view you as a man again
Lol.

Violence in the US has halved since 1993, in all this time, only slightly over 100 Americans have been killed in school shootings, violence is still declining, too.

Just because media tells you there's lots of massacres in schools doesn't mean there actually is, it's actually a non-problem, and considering it's getting rarer, it's solving itself.

otherwise you are playing a 4d chess game for what? Getting pussy while remaining "cool"? Masturbation feels good enough to avoid this.

I laughed way too hard at this

Legitimately a sad movie desu

I wept like a bitch while reading "Oyasumi Punpun".
Couldn't even finish it because it fucked me up so much...

Attached: 1521638797716.jpg (539x1024, 39K)

A funeral is for mourning someone's death. Crying might draw attention to you but it's certainly not making the event about you.

>at a funeral
>start to think about my parent's inevitable funerals
Not looking forward to that day.

Attached: 1505248666064.jpg (640x562, 17K)

A Christmas Carol made me cry. The realization that i was wasting my life being a miserable bastard, and that i didn't have the strength to be happy.

Everyone knew how you felt but they were all too afraid to express it.

youtube.com/watch?v=MoA63WunEJ0

As a young adult i often cried while reading Nietzsche. His writing grew deep on me.

KYS

I read A Christmas Carol every year at Christmas time and I've still yet to take the message on board.

Attached: 1505842022859.jpg (1000x800, 152K)