Being and Time

Being a big- brained nibba and reading Being and Time? Is it worth it?

I’m finishing my PhD in Philosophy (I fell for the graduate meme) later this yeah and feel guilty not having read Heidegger.

Attached: E571847B-E59A-41C3-A68B-2E05B02C93CA.png (640x1136, 393K)

What's your dissertation on?

How the fuck are you working on a Phd and needing to ask this question. Christ you are an unironic waste of resources

Freewill and Moral Responsibility.

>has a PhD in philosophy
>hasn't read Being and Time
christ almighty the world is fucked

Thats not a dissertation subject, thats just two terms brainlets love
You are getting swindled you fucking idiot, how much are you paying for this shit

he can still get a job, there are people who study physics theories that will be laughed out of conferences in the next 30 years for large sums of money. its all inconsistent

Not sure if being serious ....
The only name you hear in the academy is Kant, Kant, Kant concerning ideas - fucking hell (with the odd Descartes and Hume reference)

The meaning of being? Isn’t a crowd favourite

how's the academic climate? going to look for teaching positions now?

also yes you should read Heidegger. at a minimum, Hubert Dreyfuss has some nice commentary on him.

He's not really relevant
But you already knew that

>he can still get a job

In starbucks maybe, physics is at least a rigorous subject with objective applicability. Philosophy is a whole other story

>physics is at least a rigorous subject with objective applicability
you can't be serious lad

I'm talking at the most basic level. Simply studying a numerate subject qualifies you for tons of engineering and analytics roles

>The meaning of being? Isn’t a crowd favourite
that's why the world is fucked

the fucking state of analytical philosophy departments

First good comment. Climate is stiff, and Philosophy has lost its relevance. Although this has produced the effect of less philosophers coming through which eases the burden. Teaching right now as part as program. Looking for positions after PhD

Should’ve just done computer science!

>having a phd in philosophy
>not reading the most important work in continental philosophy
okay

You do analytical philosophy right?
You read Wittgenstein right?

>Although this has produced the effect of less philosophers coming through which eases the burden

And here you are

I just finished the introduction to being and time. It's part of his Basic Writings compilation, which is mostly his later work.
Maybe start there. I really enjoy him after i figured out his writing style.

>inb4 he's /r/philosophy tier brainlet

He's studying "ethics" so I'm not holding out any hope

>the least rigorous subject
oh man
rerouting

>the least
Did you misread me or something? I said its *at least* a rigorous subject

yeah I'm a STEMfuck but did my masters in phil, would still love to get a PhD in phil just to do it and be surrounded with the students and professors. reading phil alone after your 9-5 without the support and ability to bounce ideas off of other students/professors is weak.

good luck with things. and again, yes check out Heidegger.