Successfully published anons, I have a question

Successfully published anons, I have a question
How much do you normally get per pop? Does internet publishing work? How do you get the eord about your stuff around?

I'm currently a bit tight on cash and I've got some stuff I've written for myself, but am wondering if it's even worth the effort

Other urls found in this thread:

freedomwithwriting.com/freedom/uncategorized/8-short-story-publishers-that-pay-1000-or-more/
freedomwithwriting.com/freedom/uncategorized/19-short-story-publishers-that-pay-500-per-story/
bls.gov/oes/current/oes273043.htm
mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/12/education/edlife/12edl-12mfa.html?referer=https://www.google.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

im a cuck so i publish for free

building a reputation though

Empty thread, sounds about right.

Honestly didn't know what I expected

Attached: 1519150615281.jpg (574x863, 73K)

An awful idea. Don't do this anymore.

wonderful picture

i like to have people read my work. if someone wants to compensate me i will gladly accept but i'm not trying to make a career out of writing.

$0.00 Bottom of the barrel: ezines with a submission-to-publication ratio of 1:1. These count as "credits" only to reach the-

$10-$20 bottom rung of the ladder: ezines with audiences above 10,000 per month, pub/sub ratios > 1:10 which can credit up to-

$15 - $150: academic periodicals which maintain paper printing operations and subscribers in the thousands and up, which are subsidized by their institutions with sub/pub ratios > 50:1 which lead to-

$50-$1500: national glossies which dual issue web and paper to newsstands and subscribers in the hundred thousands with p/s/ ratios above 500>1

Examples:

Barrel Bottom: Mysterical-e, Storyglossia
First Rung: Spinetingler, Thuglit
Academia: Paris Review, The Journal, Bonus outlier: Zoetrope All-story
National Glossies: Atlantic, Esquire, New Yorker

This is the traditional path. Self publishing is a lottery, with similar odds.

please tell me those units are in thousands

Hundreds*, clearly I'm not published

Jesus. I'll keep to myself, then
You guys don't just write for a living, do you?

I have about 7 stories out there in the world, and I've made $55.65, after taxes. Outside of airport bookstore novelists and children's authors, I don't think anyone has made a living writing short fiction since the 70s. And the academic journals - all their subscribers are aspiring writers. I suppose it's still possible to free lance for magazines doing straight journalism and maybe get picked up as a regular, but its far from what it used to be. I told everybody back in the late 90s that the internet pressures prices of everything toward zero, but publishing is a dinosaur - the message from the tail didn't reach the brain until it was already dead.

George Saunders got 50K with a prize for his collection of short stories not so long ago, but now he is a professor at Syracuse University tho.

Yeah, contests. That's basically a book advance. I found a couple of lists.

freedomwithwriting.com/freedom/uncategorized/8-short-story-publishers-that-pay-1000-or-more/

Notice this is almost all genre, because genre readers tend to be fanatics.

freedomwithwriting.com/freedom/uncategorized/19-short-story-publishers-that-pay-500-per-story/

Couple of straight lit markets in this one, including "Pulp Literature" which I had not previously heard of.

There are 3,400 full-time writers in the US, it's not a tenable goal by any means.

Full time fiction or literary writers you mean. Not counting journalists or reporters. Sounds about right. I didn't think I was advocating. Having a novel in the world, even a mediocre one is all some of us need to satisfy our compulsion for immortality. Drawing pay always seems to work out. Leonard nimoy drove a cab during the first season of star trek. Imagine the world today if Horace Greeley had given Marx a raise.

It includes non-fiction too, sadly. Agreed. What do you mean drawing pay?

Making a living doing something other than writing. Disraeli used to write novels for fun because, he said, I can't find anything that I like, so I write them myself.

>There are 3,400 full-time writers in the US, it's not a tenable goal by any means.
>It includes non-fiction too, sadly.

Where did you get that statistic? It's wrong.

YOU WILL NOT MAKE MONEY WRITING FOR A LIVING YOU NARCISSISTIC TALENTLESS PARASITE THE WORLD IS DYING OUR CULTURE IS DEAD NIGGERS AND WOMEN WANT TO READ MASTURBATION FANTASIES NOT YOUR PURPLE PROSE FUCK YOU

cool it with the ressentiment, lad

>It's wrong
Nice source brainlet, bls.gov/oes/current/oes273043.htm
Under Independent writers, authors, and performers

>There are 3,400 full-time writers in the US, it's not a tenable goal by any means.
>It includes non-fiction too, sadly.
>Nice source brainlet,
>Employment
>44,690

if you don't think you're in the top 3k writers in america, you shouldn't be writing anyway

Short fiction and journalism printed in magazines aren't the same as books though. Book sales are doing just fine.

unironically this, 3400 is cushy. push yourself until you are that good.

Woah... Hey man, you're misreading the table terribly

mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/12/education/edlife/12edl-12mfa.html?referer=https://www.google.com/
3-4k graduate every year with an mfa in creative writing

get good at writing you fucking cuck, an mfa means nothing, maybe even less than nothing, how many mfa grads turn on their own craft and abandon it altogether?

> this mentality
> the world is transforming into molten lava
> one last thread on Veeky Forums before the world ends
> ‘you g-guys what do I do I’m scared my family has d—‘
> ‘git gif scrub, lava is a State of mind’

There’s only so far you can push optimism

Delusion*

sure, keep making excuses for yourself. enjoy grovelling in your own mediocrity.

Actually, I could be the top .01% and still not make it in a pure meritocracy

even better, now the great can't make it easier. how much easier it must be to be satisfied with your pathetic underachieving life

>mid-tier bait

bait? is it so hard for you to believe you be called out on your pathetic defeatism?

What about writing novels? Is it possible to publish a couple to make a quick buck? Or is it impossible without reputation?

Attached: 1521855003162.jpg (960x960, 56K)

pretty much you'll need to write something that'll kick everyone's ass like Gravity's Rainbow or Infinite Jest. Good luck schmucks

Income is not a function of literary merit
Write something that people buy or something that influential people will tell people to buy

Honestly I'm surprised by the thread. Why would you be writing if you were not deeply convinced - in between the suicidal bouts that make you feel you are a worthless pile of shit - that you are not a literary genius?

>"Pulp Literature" which I had not previously heard of
the fuck? are you 20 or smth? oh wait