Read book

>read book
>forget 95% of it two months later
Wtf is the point

Attached: 9DA6F8C7-3B9F-4899-A303-BF64795D4F98.jpg (1080x1065, 269K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That girl will get old so what's the point? I bet you wouldn't be thinking that up close and smelling that cake

Do you remember the experience of reading it? How it made you feel, whether it challenged you, if it gave you some new insight into your own life? These things are more important that remembering plot details.

>How it made you feel
very rarely has a book ever made me "feel" anything

I'm truly sorry to hear that.

The 5%

I feel bad for retarded people too.

Wouldn't be the cake I'd be smelling

Yikes

UGHHHHH
I NEED TO BREED
I NEED TO BREED
GIV TRAD GF NOWWW

Attached: 1497970635037.png (808x805, 673K)

>not sure if stupid or depressed

You don't forget, you're just not able to recall it at will. That's how memory works.

you are depressed. give yourself some time out. find your inner peace, relax.

she's an actress. Look at the elbows, how they're unnaturally tucked into her sides. It's a set-up, fucking idiot. Really, just go to Veeky Forums or something.

Tfw she's gotta be 15 or younger
You like your lolita

nigga she's like 12 chill out

>nigga she's like 12

Attached: 1515880116667.jpg (669x696, 78K)

I don't see your point

MODS

>wanting to ban people that have different opinions from you
you must be British

probably not being a pedophile and lusting after 13-14 year old girls

I would enjoy lifting that girls legs over her head and fucking her still she loves me. There is no law or rule against me saying this my friend.

*till she

>There is no law or rule against me saying this my friend.
This. I will fight to the death for his right to talk about railing that girl

who the fuck keeps fucking bird houses on a shelf
i mean ffs

>talking about book with someone
>they ask if I remember a part
>I don't

After you read a book, force yourself to write a page about it in a journal or some equivalent.
This will help.

it's kitschy you sperg

grandmothers of midwest trad qts

that's a 13 year old girl

Bruh, she's 6-7 years old, my dude.

>This for the most part
The function of long-term memory involves putting memories into "storage" for recall. It's likely that you haven't encountered anything pertinent enough about the theme of the book to immediately use.

If this is true I haven't encountered anything pertinent enough about anything ever. I can't remember SHIT, EVER!

Attached: 1515983799972.png (1264x471, 131K)

While that's true one is also required to recall that one must recall. Memory isn't a
controllable search and receive system like a computer, search for X get X. Its more like a chaotic stream of information some part of our brain deems probably useful at this current moment. We can ask of it but we can't control what we get

t. Nabokov

>forget 95% of it two months later
Today is the day you learned that you are a brainlet.

>Put my arm around head head like I am giving her a hug
>Put hand on head, and slam it in the cake

dude she's like 3 years old

same for me, the only exception being angst by stefan zweig. read it, maybe it works for you too.

lel

Attached: harrylagg.jpg (400x400, 36K)

Actually you could get arrested and sentenced for writing that where I am. "Sexualizing children" is illegal. IIRC some cop was arrested for having pedo written fiction.

Yeah it's a damn shame too. You don't always get to sift through what's important or not. That's why you end up remember absolute trivial bullshit, like what you ate 5 years ago at a specific date.

in 3 years she will be riding the BBC.

Dude, she wasn't even born yet, her mom is still pregnant of her ffs.

Well I'm talking about the land of freedom not your dumb feminazi shithole

Alright reddit the jokes done

Daily reminder that hebephilia is not the same pedophilia.

it looks like she has 4 clavicles
do you even art?

yes it is faggot

This, pedophiles are deranged and disgusting, hebephilia is objectively how God envisioned human partnership

telcuck

No. It isn't.

This. Unironically this. Suppressing those completely natural attractions are unhealthy.

Reported every person in this thread to the FBI and Interpol to be safe

Attached: dumbfrogposter.png (800x778, 328K)

Thank you. Save me from myself.

lol I'm in the bureau faggot, goodluck

Chill bruh, she's a sperm cell right now.

Gulag Archipelago gave me some feels, but they were pretty obscure. At once point Scholtz described when they would sit on your back and wack your tailbone or the soles of your feet with some sort of implement. At first I was like, yeah okay that would hurt. But in the very next line he described why it was one of the worst punishments: they were all famished and super thin without any body fat to defer some of the pain of the blow. After that I felt it in my soul and I audibly "YEESH!"ed

I'll give to ya, it was pretty reddit, sorry.

reported to the CIA

Thats the most superficial emotion imaginable. Stop reading pleb shit

I love when the comments on Reddit are like this. You guys are so fucking funny.

5% of a lot of books adds up to a lot of memories

>hating on some harmless fun
get over yourself, reddit

Funny, because literature is the only artform that really moves me in any way.

good post

Yeah, if those bird houses are yard used they would stink to high heaven.

Attached: IMG_4318.jpg (479x688, 67K)

>can't envision pain well enough to recoil from the imagined horror
You have my condolences for your privileged sheltered lifestyle

I usually forget after a year or so. Whenever people ask me for book recommendations, I struggle to come up with any answers for this exact reason. Most of the things I've read have slipped through the cracks of my memory and all I can go is mention names. I can't give reasons as to why I am suggesting the thing except that I remember it being good.

Every time I re-read something I'm hit by a wave of awe at how good the thing really is, as if in memory I'd really downplayed it for some reason.
makes me sad to know even if I remember the content of something I've read I'll never hold onto my appreciation or enthusiasm for it.

Glad to see this thread is still going strong.

>Peterson reading list

Attached: 46a.png (645x729, 90K)

only good answer

best part about reading Ulysses, or any book, is getting to read it again.

wtf is wrong with her thumbs

Attached: don3.png (572x302, 173K)

You’re subconscious remembers them.

If you read high quality literature often enough, when you sat down to write you will synthesize all of your reading into an amalgamation if all the styles that have stuck with you and had the largest effects on you. In a creative writing class you can always tell the reader from the non-readers, easily, because they are always much better even if they are only just starting out.

>tfw remember every book I read at least pretty well and don't know OP's feel at all

That's why I underline stuff throughout the book and then write at the beginning of the book very short summaries of what I underlined with references to the page where those passages are found.
But I never read fiction so I don't know if that would work for you.

i can only recall the full plot of movies i've seen at least 3 times. hopefully that will help you out.

I've read Villehardouin's chronicle of the Fourth Crusade at least two times, maybe three. And yet if I had to write down everything I remember from it, I doubt it would amount to much more than a page. Multiply this times several hundred, and I get an uneasy feeling when I look at my bookshelves. What use is it to read all these books if I remember so little from them?

A few months ago, as I was reading Constance Reid's excellent biography of Hilbert, I figured out if not the answer to this question, at least something that made me feel better about it. She writes:

Hilbert had no patience with mathematical lectures which filled the students with facts but did not teach them how to frame a problem and solve it. He often used to tell them that "a perfect formulation of a problem is already half its solution."

That has always seemed to me an important point, and I was even more convinced of it after hearing it confirmed by Hilbert.

Attached: 7406cfed72283197f5b8babe00e3650f.jpg (687x900, 99K)

>Memory isn't a controllable search and receive system like a computer
pleb detected

Attached: memory.jpg (330x500, 36K)

Is there a correlation between memory and intelligence? I'm kind of surprised that so many people on Veeky Forums seem to have awful memories- I guess I always assumed that, the effects of age aside, memory was one of those things that didn't vary dramatically between people. The idea of barely being able to remember books I've read or films I've seen horrifies me tbphwy

The point of a novel is to read it like a dream that washes over you. You enjoy the ride and it leaves you only with a vague reminiscence, so you can go back and enjoy it again.
The point if poetry is to memorise the words so you can recall them at will and evoke them at appropriate times in your life.
The point of philosophy is to internalise the ideas themselves, not the words.

Ebin

Attached: 1501703064758.jpg (488x358, 78K)

Yes, reading history is not about remembering dates but about broadening your mind and deepening your understanding of humanity.

Yes there is, from a neuroscience perspective memory and intelligence are both associated with the frontal lobe and engaging in memory exercises seems to stimulate the same regions as cognitive tasks.

>the mind is physical

Attached: ol cobs on the compy womp.jpg (340x227, 17K)

>the mind is a magical entity that we can't know anything about because we are such complex beings and science will never be able to penetrate the complexities of blah blah blah

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions

>someone I don't like likes something therefore it's stupid and I shouldn't like it
Hmm, yes, my fellow intellectual, you are spot on!

Attached: szenyo.jpg (988x158, 24K)

>The mind isn't physical

Attached: Maurice-Merleau-Ponty-350x454.jpg (350x454, 28K)

I literally don't understand what people who claim otherwise are on about.

you...you actually linked the Wikipedia page for "Grandoise Delusions"
but why?
is this some sort of meta postironic critique of a teenager's idea of a being mordantly witty?
holy shit dude, I'm not that user but yikes

Let me give you a lobotomy or even just ablate a certain area of the prefrontal cortex and see if you're the same person then.

A professor gave a very good explanation of this...

Imagine you have a chess board with pieces in the middle of a game. You ask someone who's never played chess before to memorise the pieces -- he would have to remember that "the horse thing is on this square, and the tower piece is on that other square". Meanwhile a grandmaster would look at the board and just think "mate in three".

The first person uses his memory; "memory" being the ability to recall specific sentences in a book. The second uses intuition. The technical name for this kind of intuition is "crystallised intelligence".

When you read a book you might not be able to remember any lines, but what you're doing is building that crystallised intelligence, which translates across all aspects of life, without you even knowing it.

I'm just sick of people who get defensive when scientists manage to crack mysteries about the brain or the universe or anything else they deemed "magical". I think they dislike the idea of being reduced to simple organisms like all the other species on the planet. I tell you if somehow we figure out what consciousness is, some prick will come out and protest and make some kind of argument - b-b-b-but you can't know WHY consciousness exists! Fuck off.

The brain is an instrument through which the mind thinks, it is not itself that which thinks. Of course the mind is impaired when the brain is damaged - it has lost the use of its instrument.

youre a pleb, yesh you are