Which translations should I read for the Russians?

Which translations should I read for the Russians?
Specifically I'm looking to read (surprise, surprise) Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov, Anna Karenina and War and Peace.
P & V seems to be popular choice at least in some circles, but in others they are highly critised.

Attached: tolstoyevsky.jpg (480x373, 58K)

P&V

Not P&V

Read excerpts and decide for yourself

Read AK before W&P and C&P before TBK

Thanks Veeky Forums

I was thinking of reading them in the following order C&P, AK, W&P, TBK. That should be fine, as still follows your restrictions, right?

That's a pretty good order. You might want to chuck Demons and The Idiot in before TBK too

Yeah, I might. Thanks.

>Which translations should I read

Neck yourself.

Seriously tho
Not P&V
>Andrew R. MacAndrew for Dostoyevsky
Shame he never had time to translate everything.
>Nicolas Pasternak Slater
>Mc Duff, for everything else

Embarrassing post

the first time i read war and peace i didnt even know there were translations, i just thought you had to figure out the russian, so i started out with the cover going, "ok so thats war, thats peace, thing in the middle must be 'and' " and went from there, figuring it out, by deduction, word by word, and honestly i think this is the best way to do it, ive looked at the translations and they just dont compare to the original, which ive read a few times now, and have visited russia since and had a really good time

Read the Polish translations

Read in russian. Don't be a киcкoй

Bump for interest. Please include Chekov

You know maybe I would, hadn't you lost to us, granting us our independence.

Attached: average finn.png (919x737, 311K)

Why do you trust this user?

Why wouldn't you read Dostoevsky before Tolstoy?

What's the best translation for the idiot? (English)

It's just based on my uneducated idea of accessibility of these four books. Might be extremely wrong though as I've not read any of these yet, obviously.

I read P&V and absolutely adored it

They're all accessible, the differences between translators won't matter that much to a new reader, and it's not important which order you read them in. Just pick the one that appeals to you the most and don't worry about getting the ultimate Russian lit experience.

I did the same, but with the Chinese translation