How come the ancients considered Pyrrhus to be hot shit? He didn't really achieve anything of note

How come the ancients considered Pyrrhus to be hot shit? He didn't really achieve anything of note.

I can't explain it user, you woulda just had to have met the guy to understand. A total party animal.

He was a great tactician. He won battles. Battles aren't the end all though.

The most effective Greek counter to Roman expansionism came from the literal ass end of the Greek world.

Today retards just meme about phyyric victories but they've never read about the battles and don't understand the war he waged.

Pyrrhos was incredible tactician and fighter (claimed to even have split a man in half, the champion of the sons of Mars in Sicily) but his personality made him an ADHD shithead. This turned Macedon, Rome AND Carthage his enemies.

I mean his only problem with Romans was that they had reserves and he did not.

>roof tiles

The Romans always liked to talk up their enemies... after they beat them.

He was fighting Rome with about a quarter of the troops in foreign lands while also having to fend off Greek and Macedonian blobbing on the other side. Given what little he had to work with the wins he pulled off were extraordinary.

He's a great example of not to fuck with Republican Rome.

Imagine Philip and Alexander dying to some fucking Triballi while returning from Scythia. That's what those roof tiles did.

This. Didn't Hannibal Barca even talk him up?
Those Argives really knew how to make their ceiling tiles. Plus we learn to never piss off a little old Greek babushka.

This. The Romans were fucking insane back then. They'd rather die to every man, woman, and child than lose. It's hard to face that when everyone else in the civilized world would make reasonable surrenders.

Apologies everyone. Who were the roof tiles?

I love the tale of Appius Claudius. A once famous Roman politician who was now old and blind delivered a speech to the senate who were contemplating negotiations with Pyrrhus after two defeats. Appius encouraged the senate not to give in to any of Pyrrhus's demands and to continue fighting. Also the person Pyrrhus sent to negotiate described the Roman senate as a hydra and as an assembly of kings.

Pyrrhus was killed by an old woman during a siege of a town, whereupon seeing her grandson/son being attacked by the hulking Epiran, she tossed a few roof tiles at him. Epirus was hit in the head by one of these, and died nearly instantly.

This would be akin to Hannibal getting killed by a falling coconut

Pyrrhus died during his siege of Argos because in the midst of the horrible street to street carnage he got hit in the head with a ceiling tile that a woman chucked from above. This sent him sprawling off his horse and he was promptly decapitated.

Really tragic end for such a skilled warrior.

Agreed. It's amazing how unprepared the Hellenistic world was to deal with that sort of mindset
>alright, Rome we won. Now surrender.
>no.
>b-but you have no armies?
>we'll just levy the old men and children then.
>no, Rome this is crazy. Let's talk this out like civilized
>BITE ME FILTHY HELLENIC IUPETER VULT!!!!

Must have been incredibly frustrating.

>Hannibal getting killed by a falling coconut
Couldn't have said it better, user

IIRC he wasn't killed just dazed which allowed someone to stab him to death

Yeah the hit from the tile and fall from his horse paralyzed him so he might as well have been sleeping when he got decapitated..

Bump

>really tragic for such a skilled warrior

I think it's ironic and probably too good to be true.

but then again Patton died in an automobile accident in Occupied Berlin.

>berlin

it's actually Mannheim