Finally finished reading this book. Tbh I liked it, even though I think it could have been shorter...

Finally finished reading this book. Tbh I liked it, even though I think it could have been shorter. How does history view Ayn Rand and her philosophy? What is wrong with following your dreams and pursuing your freedom? I can say, at least for myself, that I'm not a tool of the government and that I will fight for my future to realize my,and Ayn Rand's, dream of freedom.
I think that it's a perfect "what if" scenario if the Soviets won the Cold War. So, Veeky Forums, why does this book get so much shit?

> I can say, at least for myself, that I'm not a tool of the government and that I will fight for my future to realize my,and Ayn Rand's, dream of freedom.

there is literally nothing wrong with this

>XD LE FEDORA MEYMEY THAT WILL TEACH HIM LMAO
Great argument you idiot, go back to kindergarden if that's your style of debating.

This is the funniest thing I have read in a while, thanks OP!

>What is wrong with following your dreams and pursuing your freedom?
Nothing. It's when it negatively impacts other people that it becomes a problem.

What's with Rand that triggers so many people?
I mean, if it's such a unimportant book why devote so much effort to thrash it?

Congratulations.

>why so much shit

Because it sucks. You're reading every entry on a Jewesses' blog, and even she probably hasn't read it all in sequence. It's flat-out terrible, and even harder to believe that in this day and age anyone can read it. It's more like a punishment.

But you want to be all cool 'n shit. I get it. Once you move out of your parent's basement things will change though.

READ SOME FUCKING MARCUS AURELIUS
STOP WASTING YOUR LIFE WITH THIS CRAP

> Why does it get so much shit?
Because "be a selfish dick" sounds good when you are rich or if you wear fedora, but if you are nice person, then you will find her ideology wrong.

I have no obligation to be nice to anyone.

Because a lot of people still think she was right. Our job is to show how full of shit she was.

>muh spooks
>le everything is a spook

Then we have no obligation to tolerate you.

You see some problems starting arise?

Marx was proven wrong countless times and the same people that thrash Rand would suck his cock

You have no obligation to be nice to anyone, but being nice to people is very beneficial to yourself in both the short and the long run, and therefore perfectly consistent with rational self-interest.

I'm not a Randroid, but lets be clear that she borrows 99% of her philosophy from Aristotle's virtue ethics, and if you knew anything about it, it doesn't advocate being a psychopath.

Gommunists, man, gommunisys errwerr...

By being selfish you help those around you and vice versa. Be nice just "because" im a le gewd person is retarded, honesty is more important.
>gommunism
>nice persons
China is a good example of bad persons and dishonesty between people created by communism and starvation.

>I hoarded all the food in this area for myself and refuse to share it with you because my gluttony somehow improves your life

Also

>China
>Communist

Not really, Marxism is nice, but isn't realistic. Just because I'm not into capitalism doesn't mean I hate it or that I love Marx, it's just that I don't think that her ideas are that great.
Aristotle was nice, but I don't think that ideas of a guy, who lived more than 2000 years ago, are really applicable in todays society.

>Aristotle was nice, but I don't think that ideas of a guy, who lived more than 2000 years ago, are really applicable in todays society.

Technology has changed, not people.

>Aristotle was nice, but I don't think that ideas of a guy, who lived more than 2000 years ago, are really applicable in todays society.
maybe try reading his ethical philosophy and testing it against the reality you experience to see if it's applicable or not instead of making vain assumptions, I for example take 90% of my own ethical philosophy from Aristotle and my life has changed completely since the day I began reading him.

>Tbh I liked it, even though I think it could have been shorter.
Well, if you liked it there is not really I whole lot I can do to detract but I'll try anyway. And yes, that book would have been way too long if it was only half as many pages

>How does history view Ayn Rand and her philosophy?
Shit's so plebbish it makes me want to apologize for every criticism I ever levied at Albert Camus

>What is wrong with following your dreams and pursuing your freedom?
Nothing. But try it out once in a while. You may find that your dreams weren't all they were cracked up to be and freedom is surprisingly difficult to balance with responsibility. Or you may find out Rand was right about everything. Who is to say?

>I can say, at least for myself, that I'm not a tool of the government and that I will fight for my future to realize my,and Ayn Rand's, dream of freedom
Do whatever you wish. But always be aware that you may be tinkering with machinations that are far greater your comprehension of them and if you disrupt them there may be dire consequences for everybody, even yourself

>So, Veeky Forums, why does this book get so much shit?
because the book is long and tedious and the message is oversimplified and so heavy handed it's cringeworthy

Obligatory.

>ayn rand

lmao

You have a societal obligation to be nice to your "in group", whether it be your family, group of friends, nation, my little pony club, whatever.

Failure to live up to that societal obligation results in ostracisation.