Virtue

itt:
1. State a philosophical work or philosopher (his work in general) that best demonstrates what virtue is in your opinion (e.g. Seneca's letters). Theological writing will also be valid.
2. State a literary work or author (his writing in general) that best demonstrates what virtue is in your opinion. Could be poetry, novel, short story etc.
3. A historical figue who demonstrates it in his way of life.

Anything ancient to contemporary. Feel free to elaborate on why you made your choice if you wish. Interpret the term "virtue" as loosely or strictly as you find convenient.

Bonus: a film, or filmmaker in general

Example:
1. Aristotle's Ethics
2. Rudyard Kipling
3. Fabius Maximus
Bonus: Werner Herzog

Diogenes

1. Tractartus Logico-philosophicus
2. George Orwell
3. Pedro II of Brazil

f-for all three senpai?

Yeah

>tractacus
is this an ethical tract? never read it

bump

>Jeremy Bentham
>George Orwell
>Machiavelli

bump

Marcus Aurelius
Marcus Aurelius
Marcus Aurelius

>I have never read any ancient philosophy besides meme emperor the post.

Even in Stoic Philosophy Marcus's work is not that important, let alone in general ancient greco-roman philosophy.

lol yeah, but the meditations is a nice choice for its literary value, and he's a legit choice for a historical figure.

1. Spook
2. Spook
3. Donald Trump
Bonus: American Psycho

>mfw

>virtue is a spook
>donald trump is still somehow an example of virtue
3spoopy5me

Machiavelli wasn't a utilitarian

bump

Could you explain Rudyard Kipling? I'll admit I don't know much about him other than White Man's Burden, Kim, the Jungle Book and that he grew up in Bombay.

His verse was what I had in mind. It takes up a lot of masculine themes. I have a selection with intro done by TS Elliot. It's just an example really. Wasn't suggesting that it was my actual choice. Just wanted an example that would show what I meant.

He was though. At least to the extent that someone who sacrifices themselves for an ideal is. His Discourses on Livy frequently refer to the good of the majority.. But I was focused more on his life; he was arrested, tortured, and exiled because of his commitment to what he saw as the greater good.

for a utilitarian the greater good = more people feel more pleasure

i dont think good and pleasure are synonymous for machiavelli

1. A toss-up between the Bible (by contractual obligation) and the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. The world is fleeting and adverse, but building on (Bible) and being (Meditations) a rock is good for oneself and others.
2. Around the World in 80 Days. No matter what Phileas Fogg encountered, he maintained the same stern resolve to win his bet.
3. I'll go out on a limb and say Walter Cronkite. It takes a certain kind of person to report on everything from World War II (in the field) to the Iranian hostage crisis and say "And that's the way it is," without breaking up.

What parts/personages of the Bible do you particularly have in mind, and why?

bump

bump

1: Epicurus' letter to Menoeceus
2: The book of Job
3: Robert Ingersoll