Why is this here?

Why is this here?

How come it didn't join Poland after URSS fall? How did Rusia even manage to get it and what was their plan for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Prussians
spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/wiedervereinigung-moskau-bot-verhandlungen-ueber-ostpreussen-an-a-695928.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>How come it didn't join Poland after URSS fall? How did Rusia even manage to get it and what was their plan for it?

No one wanted, it they offered it a few times to Lithuania and Germany both rejected.

They took it after ww2, who was going to stop them? though I'm not sure why they decided to make it direct territory instead of just giving it to Poland. Also interested in how they managed to keep it after the fall of the USSR. It's sad to see such a historical region cleansed of any culture and history.

>How come it didn't join Poland after URSS fall?

Because no one wants it. It's a shithole and money sink.

>How did Rusia even manage to get it and what was their plan for it?

Potsam arrangements, in order to give Russia a warm-water port in the Baltic Sea. St. Petersburg gets blocked by ice occasionally.

isn't that Prussia?

>No one wanted
That's retarded. Someone should have annexed that for the sole reason of blocking Russians from putting communication/detection systems there.

>why didn't russia give away the harbor housing its fleet

>nobody wanted the harbor housing the russian fleet

>That's retarded. Someone should have annexed that for the sole reason of blocking Russians from putting communication/detection systems there.

Yeah and take an absolute shithole region which is a money sink with additional one million Russians in it.

Real life doesn't work like Europa Universalis.

I thought Prussia was a profitable region, especially the cities of konigsberg and Memel? Did it only become a shithole after the Russians killed/relocated all the Germans formerly living there?

>Real life doesn't work like Europa Universalis.

>rivers go dry, soil turns to dust, mountains collapse and the sea freezes wherever a russian steps

I love this meme.

It became shit when Soviets annexed it. There's no Prussia anymore.

> How come it didn't join Poland after URSS fall?
Nukes.

> How did Rusia even manage to get it
World War 2.

> and what was their plan for it?
No specific plans. People in charge (i.e. UK/USSR) simply decided to get rid of Germans there (the place effectively being the Balkans of WW2) and someone needed to live there afterwards.

Land got divided between Poles and Soviets - picrelated.

> No one wanted, it they offered it a few times to Lithuania and Germany both rejected.
I need to see some sources on this.

> isn't that Prussia?
Yes. Northern part of Eastern Prussia, to be precise. Initially Baltic land (Balto-Polish pagans). Crusaders later thoroughly converted it into Christianity the territory got Germanized.

> Someone should have annexed that
It has enough military power to give anyone a run for their money. Even without nukes it has a chance to take down Poland (not Germany, though).

Here's what happened: Soviets are on the winning side of WW2 and get to humiliate germans and annex Poland. They make Kaliningrad their "invade Baltic sea states from here" port and when USSR dissolved russians threatened to nuke everyone unless they got to keep their military presence in the Baltic Sea since they're russians and all they do is fuck shit up for everyone else by being the aggressor.

The Kaliningrad Question
By Richard J. Krickus or even the same wikipedia page about Kaliningrad mentions it.

Got a pdf/epub?

Or Krickus' sources on offers of Kaliningrad to join Lithuania/Germany?

>Balto-Polish pagans)

Baltic not Balto-Polish.

Old prussians had nothing to do with Poles.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Prussians

>I thought Prussia was a profitable region,

It was always poverty-stricken by German and even Polish stanars (though not by Russian). It has poor, sandy soils and few natural resources aside from timber (until large parts got deforested) and amber (too little to make any change). Tourism which is now booming in the Polish part really got developed in the last 40 or so years.

>Even without nukes it has a chance to take down Poland (not Germany, though).

Military in Kaliningrad Oblast is reportedly in deplorable condition. Russia is spread to thin and prioritizes other places. Still, the military is Kaliningrad's main source of income, which is only telling what a shithole this place really is.

>Old prussians had nothing to do with Poles.

Archeology begs to differ. Even before the Teutonic conquest there was a huge cultural diffusion from Poland into Prussia with significant acculturation.

Soon...

One more such leader and Germany will no longer exist.

And the area itself was administered by LSSR for a short period of time.

And about the German offer it was in 1990 you can google there's plenty of sources.

Complete bullshit. You got any sources or are you talking out of your ass?

Based on recent archeological findings:

Jacek Bojarski, "Z badań nad pograniczem słowiańsko-pruskim we wczesnym średniowieczu, Studia nad osadnictwem średniowiecznym ziemi chełmińskiej"

That doesn't make them in any way Polish just because they imported or traded some materials.

Their organization, ethnicity, language and core structure was in no way Polish.

The russians offered to include the return of Kaliningrad to Germany into the 4+2 negotiations.

But Germany refused because there were barely any Germany there anyway it would have been a huge money drain,

So much about Germany.

Don't know about Lithuania or Poland but i imagine that they weren't into integrating a Russian minority

And the study itself only reports on Chlemno region which was bordering Polish duchies and far from Prussian core lands.

They didn't offer it for free, they wanted to sell it, for a lot of money.
Just like how they left east Berlin for a couple of billion, if I remember correctly.

ask Ukraine how well letting a bunch of Russians live on land that the government can't claim 100%

Then you have another source: Wojciech Wróblewski, "Wedrujace pogranicze. Poludniowa rubiez osadnictwa pruskiego w okresie plemiennym (VII/VIII - XII/XIII w.)"

The studies show that Slavic-type cultural traits were replacing the Baltic ones as the time went on. The border between Balts and Slavs wasn't static but slowly moving northwards. By the time the Teutons arrived, Lubavia, Sasna an large parts of Pomesania were already more Slavic than Baltic.

> And about the German offer it was in 1990 you can google there's plenty of sources.
Can't find any reputable. So far checked three conversations between Gorbachev and Kohl, but no luck.

> The russians offered to include the return of Kaliningrad to Germany into the 4+2 negotiations.
When and where, specifically?

>The border between Balts and Slavs wasn't static but slowly moving northwards. By the time the Teutons arrived, Lubavia, Sasna an large parts of Pomesania were already more Slavic than Baltic.

And how does that make Old Prussians Polish? Their habitat shrank, but that's it.

No one in scientific community defines Old Prussians as Balto-Polish, take your fairy tales out of here.

>And how does that make Old Prussians Polish? Their habitat shrank, but that's it.

When the fuck did I wrote that Prussians were Polish? I wrote that there was significant acculturation from one side to another.

Keep beating your strawman.

You said they were Balto-Polish.

When only few regions directly bordering Polish duchies,(Mazovia etc) were slowly getting Slavicized. The rest of Old Prussians had fuck all to do with Poles, except for carrying attacks on each other. That's the reason Teutonic Knights appeared there in the first place.

In Prussian uprisings each clan elected it's leader none of them were Polish.

>The major revolt began on September 20, 1260. It was triggered by the Lithuanian and Samogitian military victory against the joint forces of the Livonian Order and Teutonic Knights in the Battle of Durbe. As the uprising was spreading through Prussian lands, each clan chose a leader: the Sambians were led by Glande, the Natangians by Herkus Monte, the Bartians by Diwanus, the Warmians by Glappe, the Pogesanians by Auktume.[20] One clan that did not join the uprising was the Pomesanians.[11] The uprising was also supported by Skalmantas, leader of the Sudovians. However, there was no one leader to coordinate efforts of these different forces.

>hen and where, specifically?

Fall of the Soviet Union. At the 4+2 negotiations treating the terms of German unification. It wasn't official, but there was interest from the Russian side
Google translate:
>spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/wiedervereinigung-moskau-bot-verhandlungen-ueber-ostpreussen-an-a-695928.html

There were only rumors that Gorbachev tried to sold Kaliningrad to Germany before Soviet Union collapsed. Gorbachev himself denies it and there are not proofs of such negotiation.

>You said they were Balto-Polish.
It wasn't me.

He thinks he is talking with me ().

> You said they were Balto-Polish.
Not him. Me.

I called Old Prussians "Balto-Polish pagans", referring to their geographic position (as well as the whole circumbaltic culture; nationalism was not a thing at the time). Since you went full Aryan blood from the very first post, I did not respond to you and you were talking to different user.

> It wasn't official,
Ok.

This.

>Since you went full Aryan blood from the very first post,

Nowhere did I say Aryan.

I only said Old Prussians were Balts because that's what they were, not Balto-Polish.

My first post.

> My first post.
Yes. That was the post I decided not to reply to.

Yeah, you already started backpedaling because wrote horse shit. In 13th century that region wasn't Balto-Polish if you're referring to it as geographical location, that region became Polish on a later date. As in even on state level Poland did not control those regions. And even referring to them as Balto-Polish pagans is retarded since Poles were Christianized centuries ago.

I'm not fond of your revisionism.

Kaliningrad is a strategically important warm water (St. Petersburg and Kronstadt freeze) Baltic fleet base and a potential source of instability for the region, you retards. Of course Russia will hold onto it as long as possible.

WARM
A
T
E
R

t. Hansa

good

Thank you, came here to say that

It also currently has about 700k Russians living in it.

Memel is now in Lithuania (it is called Klaipėda) and is relatively profitable, as it is the only harbour of Lithuania with trade flowing through Belarus to China.

Dude, Kulm, or Chelm was under Polish crown for some time, and when it was given to Teutonic Order, it may have been fully polonised. That does not mean that Poles and Old Prussians lived peacefully even before Prussians were "pacified".

>why is this here
It was taken from Germany after WWII, administered by the Russian SFSR from that point on, transferred to Russia proper after the fall of the USSR.

>How come it didn't join Poland?
It was part of the Russian SFSR, along with it being the home port of the Russian Baltic Fleet on account for it being ice-free year around. So Russia has their reasons for keeping it.

Trying to take it by force isn't a cakewalk either, that exclave being the home to the Baltic fleet and other military installations, there's enough firepower there to hold off a major invasion for some time.

>how did Russia manage to get it.
Chipped it away from Nazi Germany as a war prize for WW2. The more Ice-free ports you can get the better.

Fucking Russians

To trigger Prussiaboos.