Do employers like History degrees?

Do employers like History degrees?

Or is it difficult to get a decent job with one?

I knew a guy with a PhD in history.

He works as a security guard.

Well, it goes without saying that anyone who does a PhD in History is retarded and wasting their time apart from the tiny % that become university lecturers. But I'm talking about a Bachelor's.

Believe it or not, even in STEM, if you started work with a bachelor's you'll end up making more by the time most people get their PhDs (and I'm specifically referring to those who wait until getting their PhDs before they even bother getting a job). There's a shocking amount of people like that in the job market, which lowers everyone's else chance.

It's fairly easy to get a job in archiving, public history, as a librarian or in government. The issue is that most history students don't actually know where to look

t. History grad who is an archivist

I don't know a lot about STEM as I'm doing a history degree, but in my country (UK) it seems pretty common for students to do a 4 year STEM course, so master's included, so it might be hard to get a job here with just a bachelor's. That only applies to science degrees though, and probably only to people that want to work in something related to their degree.

>archiving
>public history
>librarian
I don't want to do anything related to my degree, I want a normal boring office job that pays decently.

The civil service is something I'm considering, but it's difficult to get onto their graduate scheme. I guess there are other routes in.

A lot of people going into fields like STEM because the assumption that it's an easy job ticket. Which, in turn, makes the field much more competitive, and lessens everyone's chances.

I don't know much about jobs for history degrees other than academia, museums, research, or documentaries.

No. But a history degree isn't a barrier to getting a job either.

Most people with history degrees are too retarded to secure work. It's not the degree, it's the dumbass.

>I don't want to do anything related to my degree, I want a normal boring office job that pays decently
Well, you can get those jobs with pretty much any degree, or even no degree sometimes, here in the states. Are office jobs some sort of specialty in England or what?

Also why the fuck did you major in a field you have no career interest in?

Sounds like you fucked up. Should have just gone into accounting if you wanted to be an office drone.

History is a very popular degree, do you really think that most people who do it become teachers or museum workers? A degree is just something that shows employers that you probably aren't retarded, and is almost a requirement these days for our generation if you want to get anywhere in your career. Also you can apply to government/banking etc. type jobs with any degree here in the UK, which is where quite a few History graduates end up.

Anyway I like being spoonfed so I know more about my options.

>History is a very popular degree
Not here it isn't. My graduating class at a university of ~5000 was 6 people, including myself.

I just googled it
>History is the tenth-most popular degree subject at UK universities, with some 42,540 students currently delving into the past
Also interestingly Psychology is 6th even though pretty much only girls study it

One guy I grew up with got a history degree. I'll give you one fucking guess where he works.

He works for the map team.

So it's not even that popular in England contrary to your own anecdote.

..10th is still pretty high up, when you think about how many different types of degrees are offered. Anyway it at least feels popular, at the good universities here the history department tends to be pretty large, and it's a competitive course to get into, but I suppose at the crappier unis people tend to do more vocational courses and their history courses might be a lot less popular.

>..10th is still pretty high up, when you think about how many different types of degrees are offered
It really isn't. What's funny is that despite my country being far larger there are less total people studying history in the US right now. There are a whopping 35k people studying history in the U.S. out of 25 million students making it the 21st most popular major. It's really not all that popular.

>implying some of us here didn't take psychology for a semester or two just to get with the hot psychology girls

Google Maps?

Yes. But he went on to get a master's in geography.

>
>A degree is just something that shows employers that you probably aren't retarded, and is almost a requirement these days for our generation if you want to get anywhere in your career.

This is bullshit, in the US at least. You'll hear it repeated a lot even here but it's simply not true. If you just want to fill a seat doing excel work for some corporation for more money than you deserve, it's actually pretty easy to do in the states.

This is of course excluding SE or civil engineer jobs - obviously you'd need certification for that.

But most of the Project Managers or Dev Directors in tech companies today who actually boss around SE's are relatively uneducated.

This is possibly less true outside of america.

I'm history/polisci double major here.
I was thinking in line with you, just get some generic job. Though I wouldn't mind something like archivist. I've also thought about law.
Really any number of things. Honestly, all that matters is your social capital, employers mostly don't seem to care about degrees unless its extremely specific skills. So, my social retardation will screw me regardless of my major.

what does an archivist even do? Sort things?

They make fossils

U wot m8

How does Anthropology fare compared to History? I mean, is it considered "science" enough to carry some weight with it and open research opportunities?

>Anthropology
>Science
If by science, you mean is it comparable to stem, than no.
Its kind of considered a joke nowadays I believe.