Why were the Japanese so cruel in wars?

Why were the Japanese so cruel in wars?

Other urls found in this thread:

tofugu.com/japan/meth-in-japan/
awm.gov.au/exhibitions/alliesinadversity/prisoners/women/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because the Japanese nation were cruel ages ago and it haven't changed to this day. By being brutal you intimidate your enemies :-)

They have very small penises and as such are incredibly prone to her outbursts. That's why they killed those people in SEA.

Brutal training regimen designed to obliterate individuality and establish a master-slave relationship between officers and soldiers.

Years of indoctrination that the enemy is subhuman, and that death is easy so one should not fear it.

Everyone was. But anyway, since it's interesting, here's some exerts from a description of the invasion of Korea in 1597, seen by the Japanese monk Keinen:

>Day 1: Everyone is trying to be the first off the ship; no one wants to lag behind. They fall over each other in trying to get at the plunder, to kill people. It is a sight I cannot bear to see

>Day 2: They are burning the houses. As I watched them go up in smoke, I thought that my own existence was like this and was seized by sympathy.

>Day 3: The very fields and hillsides have been put to the fire, not to speak of the forts. People are put to the sword, or they are shackled with chains and bamboo tubes choking the neck. Parents sobbing for their children, children searching for their parents—never before have I seen such a pitiable sight.

>Day 5: They are carrying off Korean children and killing their parents. Never shall they see each other again. Their mutual cries—surely this is like the torture meted out by the fiends of hell.

>Day 6: As night fell, I saw people’s houses go up in smoke. They have lost everything to the fire, all their grain and all their property.

>Day 11: All in the fortress were slaughtered, to the last man and woman. No prisoners were taken. To be sure, a few were kept alive for exchange purposes.

>Day 12: Until yesterday they did not know that they would have to die; today, they are transformed into the smoke of impermanence, as is the way of this world of constant change. How can I be unaffected by this!

>Day 13: We displace camp deeper into the interior. As I looked at the surroundings of the fortress at daybreak, I saw corpses numberless as grains of sand scattered along the roadsides. It was a sight I could not bear to see.

Pretty generic really. Could replace the Japanese with a myriad of other invading peoples throughout history and the lands they plundered and pillaged.

>mfw I realize pic isn't just some establishing shot of a crowd of people.

cause their lives as kids lack basic love and attention.

this.

>equating ancient ideologies to modern sensibilities
Why is Veeky Forums so god dam retarded?

>Tiny men with tiny penises are prone to violence when they get some power
It was a combination of feeling inferior to Western powers and a weird sort of jealousy of the Chinese who had far more interactions with Europeans. The Japs wanted nothing more than the Western powers to say they were a part of the big boy club.

im gonna go ahead and suggest crystal meth may have had somthing to do with it

tofugu.com/japan/meth-in-japan/

They weren't all cruel. The treatment of POW's is usually explained away by cultural differences and their perception of honor, but even here there are the exceptions.

There was an aspect of inferiority as well, as seen by the unique treatment of white European women in the DEI.

They also justified many of their pacific invasions as liberating their fellow Asians from colonial invaders, to the point that even killing German missionaries was seen as such.

To put in the least eloquent way, it was a carry over of centuries of Japanese warfare and samurai culture. They expected the enemy to behave in the same way as themselves: no fear in battle, no surrender, willingness to sacrifice themselves for the sovereign. Anyone who didnt exhibit these traits were seen as weak or cowardly and deserved to be brutalised.

As for the maitland Asians, racial superiority and a long history of animosity.

What did they do to the white whores?

awm.gov.au/exhibitions/alliesinadversity/prisoners/women/

Same with the North Koreans. The UN actually had to drop leaflets explaining how not to commit war crimes.

Zen Buddhism + Samurai Honor and sacrifice.

They were not necessarily. Of course, unit 731 is another level of crazy and Japan chimped out in China, but they weren't necessarily crueler than other invaders.

It is the fact they gained modern weapons before they gained modern sensibilities.
Like Mongols with automatic rifles.

Lack of humanism

Though I will say I see nothing particularly cruel about head-taking. I'd probably have nabbed a scalp or two.

>it was a carry over of centuries of Japanese warfare and samurai culture

It was a carryover from a time of peaceful samurai romanticizing what they thought wartime samurai were like.

It's amazing how corrupted bushido became under Imperial Japan.

All laws or order in war is corrupted by the actual act of war, I dont think many people even now understand it.

Dont forget to send one home for your lady friend.