Wars your country doesn't discuss or teach much of

As the title says.

I want to know about the wars and conflicts other countries (including U.S) that don't necessarily pipe up about that time they kicked Nation X's ass and made Nation Y their bitch.

I'll start off.

Barbary Wars: U.S of A versus Barbary Pirates.

I legitimately don't see much of this discussed historically or politically. Is it because it's so fucking old? You think today's political climate would have a more open discussion concerning this. Especially as we Americans kick some more Muslim ass in the Middle east. (I know it's not the same locale) There exists some similarities, yet I don't hear much talk.

So here we go. Teach me plz.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi-War
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangladesh_Liberation_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine–American_War#Atrocities
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niihau_incident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Rebellion
youtube.com/watch?v=FbBTkINk5n4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine–Venetian_War_(1296–1302)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine–Genoese_War_(1348–49)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Halmyros
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Euboeote_Succession
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_invasions_of_the_River_Plate
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump.

The Quasi-War the Americans fought against the french shortly after the French royal family was overthrown and its navy began turning into a piracy network attacking american shipping.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi-War

Also, American-Moroccan alliance is the bond that never breaks

Neat.

I knew there was conflict between the French and U.S (mainly the XYZ affair) but never the Quasi-War.

Any interesting highlights wiki won't mention?

Were any actual French ships used? I know they sent a shit load of privateers to harass the US.

I dont know enough about the quasi war to really give any interesting facts
Yeah, the French used some outdated navy ships as throwaway harassers. L'insurgent was one of them. more in the wiki article

Check out Six Frigates by Ian Toll. Covers the founding of the US Navy, the Quasi War, the campaign against the Barbary Pirates, and the war of 1812.

Morocco is truly our longest, and greatest ally.

>Sure ill recognize you, BUT there is this little errand I have for you first...

Truly best ally.

Didn't even know we had the longest friendly treaty towards one another.

Opium Wars, that shit is like never mentioned ever

Tell us what happens user.

East Pakistan becomes Bangladesh.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangladesh_Liberation_War

>mass rape
>mass killings
>genocide in every sense of the word
>nothing in the school history books

Extra History is doing a series on that.

I assume they don't mention it in other countries.

But surely Bangladesh and Pakistan history books would say "fuck those guys for x and y."

Just a paragraph and a picture as far as I can recall. Nothing of major political importance. It was mostly preparation for CIE so I'm not sure what the government schools teach.

Not only wars, it's funny (well, sad really) how in high school we had 3 pages on just the shift of power from the house of luxemburg to the habsburgs within HRE and only 2 pages on the entirety of east asia between the 13th and the 19th centuries.

Philippine-American War

>Spanish-American War happens
>US decides to attack Spanish Philippines, promise Filipinos their independence
>the war ends, Spain defeated and Filipinos ready for independence
>"bitch you thought"
>US takes the Philippines as a territory, breaking their promise to the Filipinos
>Filipinos fight back
>Filipinos lose

Apart from the backstab done by the US, the Americans also committed multiple atrocities. The wholesale slaughter of innocents was casually ordered. Concentration camps and scorched-earth policies were also utilized. You can see why this isn't taught in schools.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine–American_War#Atrocities

Hmm.

Neat. Would you say they were better under us, or the Spanish?

I saw a documentary on this war once. It was actually about the evolution of US firearms, and how drugged up Filipinos doing proto-banzai charges was the reason why .45 became the caliber of choice because of its firepower in stopping the flip rampages

(pic is teddy roosevelt in an airplane, semirelated)

>commit atrocities
>brush aside history

Happy 4th of July for what it's worth.

Literally everyone does this. There is not a single country on earth that hasn't.

I like this war because hardly any of the filipinos had firearms, but they still managed to machete about 2000 americans. Solid effort island squints

>You can see why this isn't taught in schools.
Probably more to do with lack of relevance desu. Obviously it was a very important event in Flip history but for America it didn't change a whole lot. We don't study it in great detail because it's basically just an extension of the Spanish-American war, which is something that's usually only briefly covered as a part of of T.R.'s legacy anyway.

>Would you say they were better under us, or the Spanish?
Honestly, the American occupation benefitted them economically. Spanish rule was shit tier. That still doesn't justified what happened. Furthermore, the US did nothing to resolve the Moro issue which still plagues the Philippines.

>Probably more to do with lack of relevance desu.
The US fighting a long-term war overseas for the first time is pretty relevant tbqh pham.

The US occupation lasted until the end of ww2, how long do you think spain would have tried to hold onto them?

>how long do you think spain would have tried to hold onto them?
Probably for as long as they could. However, the call for independence in the Philippines was too strong. Filipinos were already rebelling before the arrival of the US. At best, the Spanish could keep the islands probably until the early 1900s.

Spain isn't unknown for using "severe" tactics to suppress rebellion. One of the main reasons why the US was so compelled to start the Spanish American war was the media backlash against Spain's use of "reconcentration camps" on the families of Cuban rebels.
No doubt that if America did not step in to stop the Spanish military pursuits in Cuba, their cruelty would have been incurred in the Philippines as well. The Maine exploding didn't help things either

ungrateful bastards shouldn't have turned on us.

>The Maine exploding didn't help things either

You mean americans blowing up his own ship to acquire a casus belli?

why are the Filipinos black?
The funny thing is, the Coal magazine on ships during this time period happened all the time. When one of the american warships was sailing to Hawaii to reach the Philippines, its magazine caught on fire too. It took them hours to find the ONE piece of coal that had combusted. During that time they were basically on a floating bomb

Philippines.

Let's see:
Precolonial Period
>The fact that a lot of Precolonial Filipino """States"""- especially the organized tribal kingdoms the ones Filipino Pride are proud of- were Muslim.
>The Philippines was not really part of the major SEAsian trade routes, its far away, though it still was visited by traders out of maximizing profits as opposed to being in the way.
>Tributary status of most Precolonial Filipino Muslim States towards either Bruneian or the Chinese Empires.
Spanish Period
>The """"invasion"""" of the Philippines was done with the full cooperation of Filipino tribes. Spain literally accidentally acquired a colony here when their via conversion, alliances with local tribes, and their trade posts participating in local wars between warlords.
>The local chieftains, rajahs, and some sultans weren't deposed. They converted to Catholicism and became the "Principalia" class of minor local Spanish Nobles.
>The same families are still in Philippine Politics.
>The Race-Based Spanish Caste system wasn't implemented in the Philippines unlike in Latin America. From the 1500s to the 1700s Spain did not hold all the advantages in the Philippines (too few spics, reinforcements from Spain/Lat Am takes a year or a year and a half to arrive, locals know of steel and gunpowder, China and Japan scare the shit out of them) so there was a relative egalitarianism between native and spaniard. What only really determined your position was status and money. A poor Spaniard from Iberia is technically above a local Native noble, but socially he was inferior and could not even marry a daughter of such a family.
>We actually wanted to be Spanish Subjects with full equal rights and representation. The rejection of the call for Hispanification of the Philippines by the 19th Century Conservative Spanish government led to our opting for independence.
>A lot of Filipinos fought versus the revolution actually, as loyalists.

They were seen as niggers obviously.

You expect Yellow Journalism to give a damn about some territory thousands of miles away from them?

Oh and to add: the Philippine propagandists (the guys who campaigned for the Philippines to be formally included in the Kingdom of Spain as Spanish Subjects) envisioned the Philippines as a Spanish Duchy. So in an alternate universe where they succeeded, Spain would be:
>the Kingdom of Valencia
>Kingdom of Leon
>Kingdom of Castille
>Crown of Aragon
>Duchy of Las Filipinas.

It would have lasted little though. Spaniards would not like their country being flooded by Filipinos and I guess that independentism would have risen eventually. The only difference would be a Spanish speaking Phillipines

Hundred and seven years war
Boer war, we were actually far more humane than you'd think
Opium wars
T. Brit

Thats pretty much how Spanish Empire worked before the Bourbon administration changed that.

>more humane than you think

>check it out, I'm cool and hate my country

Prolly the finno-korean hyper war

I still remember the autism ray, too many good people died for the Hwan-Gook

>Spaniards would not like their country being flooded by Filipinos
Nope.jpg

The Philippines' status was up in the air really and was highly dependent on the Conservative VS. Liberal Struggle in the Spanish Mainland itself. The Liberal Spaniards were pro with the idea, citing the fact that the Philippines and Cuba are the last to remain loyal of Spain's overseas colonies (sans African ones).

But the Conservatives won out after 3 Carlist Wars.
>I guess that independentism would have risen eventually.
Not quite. Again, it was all dependent on the Spanish Mainland. Had liberals had their way, none of the shit that happened in 1870s and 1880s that led the way to Independentism happened. The stints of Liberal Governors were some of the most most loved in Philippine History.

Not that user, but in short:
>Britain imports lots of tea, silk, porcelain and other luxury goods from China
>Savage islanders have nothing of interest for trading with China and have to pay in silver
>Treasury starts to run dry
>Empire starts to grow more Opium in India, ship it to China and sell it to local traders
>Over time, there is a LOT of opium circulating are a lot of addicted chinks
>Now silver flows out of China
>China not amused
>ban sale, raid the opium trade ports, destroy Opium stored in warehouses
>Britain not amused
>sail into Chinese trade routes and harbours, rape their fleets and coastal defences with superior weapon technology, annex important coastal cities
>Treaty of Nankin
>open ports for foreign trade, navy and immigration
>gibsme Hong Kong
>pay war reparations
>oh and all the opium you destroyed
>opium trade is flowing again

The whole thing basically marked the end of a sovereign, imperial China

Chinese learn it school, to remind them what to expect from Anglos
Anglos conveniently forget about the whole issue

Why wouldn't we want balanced trade?
It's their fault for not buying weapons from us anyway

>Hm these people kill civilians and then hid in farms
Sir why don't we burn their farms down, so they'll have no where to hide
>brilliant idea Jenkins but what are we gonna do with all these women and children
why don't we build some tepees
>another great idea Jenkins but the press is saying we're barbaric because we let them die of disease and hunger
But sir that's because these Boers are raising our supply trains
>yes but Jenkins we're gentlemen lets invest so much into these camps the death rate is lower than that of our capital
I'm sorry sir but that's not a brilliant idea, it'll cost far too much
>well fuck yoy Jenkins you're dismissed and I'm doing that

>Why wouldn't we want balanced trade?
Chinese were quite unimpressed by the products of industrialisation. They thought they had everything they needed and did not want anything from the west besides silver

>It's their fault for not buying weapons from us anyway
kek, would have probably saved them some headaches

It's in the Marine Corps Hymn. If you had any interest in military history you would have learned this on your own. Also, school curriculum, especially History, is set at the State level so it varies. We learned about this in one of my Middle school history classes (6th-8th grades). I had some great History teachers and our curriculum was pretty well planned.

Hmm. I know this sounds doubtful because I went to highschool in the USA but I learned a great deal about all of the opium wars. Good History program though I guess.

It doesn't mitigate atrocities committed but we promised them full independence in 1945 during the 30s and kept our word then at least.

Took AP world history, learned a lot about most civilizations in more detail than most history classes. Covered east asia in the context you're interested in, but yeah the shift in power in the HRE was briefly discussed

If the Chinese thought they well enough off without industrialization. How would the Imperial Nation have developed without Westerners opening to ports and causing the chain of events that we all know leading right up to the PRC? Would not the West have continued to industrialize and China be even farther behind then they are now?

Never heard of this one. Definitely interested

Probably.
China did not want to industrialize because they already saw themselves as the pinnacle of civilization, they saw the westerners as underdeveloped

Interesting. How did they see westerners as undeveloped? Socially so?

Technologically, politically, spiritually. For a long time the Chinese saw themselves as the centre of the universe and regarded trade as them being kind to the lesser peoples who surrounded them.

...although our Celestial Empire possesses all things in prolific abundance and lacks no product within its own borders. There was therefore no need to import the manufactures of outside barbarians in exchange for our own produce. But as the tea, silk and porcelain which the Celestial Empire produces, are absolute necessities to European nations and to yourselves, we have permitted, as a signal mark of favour, that foreign hongs [merchant firms] should be established at Canton, so that your wants might be supplied and your country thus participate in our beneficence.

Qianlong Emperor, Letter to George III, 1793

>yes but Jenkins we're gentlemen lets invest so much into these camps the death rate is lower than that of our capital

Is that part actually true? I'm not disagreeing wit you but I'd like a source on that.

We learn every war our country was involved in, in my countries schools. Then again most of our history is war.

>Click here

That is actually very interesting. Thank you man

Luck bastard. My teachers, (save for a few) just focused on us passing our Finals back in high school. Not much variation.

What country are you from mate?

Isn't this why the British tried so hard to keep opium flowing into China? Because it was the one thing the Chinese didn't have, but really really wanted.

>T.R legacy

Last I checked, it was William McKinley the US President during the Spanish-American war.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niihau_incident

Niihau incident.

Maybe interment was justified?

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niihau_incident
Seems like it m80.

I went to a garbage HS and even we knew about the opium wars.

The Suez Crisis.

Basically Israel, France and Britain join up to invade Egypt, France and Britain in order to regain European Control of the Suez Canal, Israel because lol mudslimes. After a week the US, Russia and UN tell everyone involved to knock their bullshit off and GTFO, and everyone complies. Israel and Egypt mostly just marked it down as another battle of the Israeli-Arab Conflict but it was a major humiliation for France and Britain, who were basically totally cucked by the US and UN. Most historians think that this little episode put the cap on Britain's era as a global superpower.

Teddy Roosevelt became (more) famous because he gave up a position as Assistant Secretary of the Navy to go lead a cavalry unit in Cuba. It was a pretty big part of his legacy. People called him the Colonel for the rest of his life lol. Don't ever try to fact check me again, bitch!

>What the howdy doody did you just sass at me, you little tart? I'll have you know I gave up my position in the Naval brass to raise my own cavalry brigade, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids against the viceroy of Carlist Spain, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the most bully rough rider in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another trust to bust. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have walked softly and carried a big stick. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn nincompoop. I'm as fit as a bull moose and you will drown under me. You're bloody dead, champ.

Extra History is shit

The Taiping Rebellion

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Rebellion

>China had the most powerful army on Earth, but no means of projecting that power (lol Qingaboo deal w/ it)
>Some real nigga says he's Jesus' brother and kicks off the most brutal Civil War in human history.
>Casualty estimates are so high that as many as 200 people died for every one person killed in the American Civil War.
>The war cripples China so badly that they spend the next hundred years getting pissed on by pale foreign savages and backwards Japanese peasants.

The glorious yellow emperor would have built space colonies by now if it wasn't for the goddamn Heavenly Kingdom.

Make my golden empire great again
Dowager Cixi not Sun Yixian ok

youtube.com/watch?v=FbBTkINk5n4

If the Phillipines won their status as a member of the crown,most Filipinos would be able to move to wealthier parts of the crown,like Spain. And there are way more Filipinos than Spaniards

Damn son. Like, how did such a coalition not succeed?

I know America and Russia were swinging their big dicks at the time, but really? Couldn't btfo Egypt and take the Suez in a quick military conflict?

I'm not one of those anti-colonial crusaders, but the opium wars were some of the most fucking reprehensible shit.
>your nation can't succeed because your people are plagued by an opium induced malaise? well you better not be thinking of banning it then, my trade will suffer. you must allow us to fuck you over and at the same time exploit your people, or else it's war. he he heheheheheheh

literal kikerey.

you gotta get those tea and porcelain imports somehow, and they dont care if some doped up opium junkies picked the tea or not

Should've bought more European guns.

Yeah, you only hear it mentioned when some "America founded as a christian nation triggers me massively" fags(they are partially right, but they go retard in the opposite direction) use some off-hand quote that means jack shit from the peace treaty to say "muh founding fathers denied that"

>what the Chinese really, really wanted was highly-addictive narcotics
I think need, not want, is of the essence here, user.

>It's a Christianity is keeping us from going to space post

Switzerland?
Liechtenstein?
Luxembourg?
Hong Kong?

What have they ever done wrong?

Didnt the chinese gov bann imports of things such as english clocks?

Spain.

Every war that isn't the civil war.

Brazil

Almost all of them.
Paraguay war and our participation in WW2 gets a glance but doesn't get much into detail
IIRC we mostly talk about the attempted revolutions/uprisings (Inconfidência Mineira, Revolta da Armada, Coluna Prestes)

Education varies between schools and region though. I heard that the South loves to teach about their laughable attempt at Indepedence

I will never understand how the Chinese are so good at killing people in the millions. It's insane.

Its down to three factors.
1) Big country. China going to civil war is the equivalent of Western Europe fighting each other.
2) Agrarian society. Farms get fucked in the fighting. Lots of people starve and die.
3) Retarded way Imperial officials counted casualties among civilians. Which goes like this:
>Does this village here of 130 HOUSEHOLDS still exist?
>No
>THEN THEY R ALL DED, THEY COULDNT BE JUST MIGRATED AWAY DUE TO FIGHTAN :DDDD
Though to be fair to them, the Chinese Clan Village was central to the agricultural production and the loss of many of them is a huge blow to a province's economic output so might as well count those guys dead if they're not coming back to their fucked fields soon.

War of 1812, Spanish-American War, Mexican-American War, the various wars against numerous tribes, WW1, Korean War, and the Gulf War.

Is there any books or documentaries that covers the East India Trading Company and its counterparts

its kinda fascinating how some companies became so powerful as ITC

Greece

None of the wars that occurred during the Latin occupation (Francocracy). It's kinda sad really because this is a really interesting part of Greek history with interesting groups like the various crusader knights, the Catalan Company and exotic entities such as the Principality of Achaia, the Duchy of Athens and Triarchy of Negroponte.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine–Venetian_War_(1296–1302)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine–Genoese_War_(1348–49)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Halmyros

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Euboeote_Succession

pic related. Monemvasia was quite important during all this period. It looks like something I would have built in AoE2

They multiply like fucking rats and when you have that many people, mass murders are no longer a tragedy, they're just another statistic.

I know it's quite interesting, although to be honest it was more of a state venture than a company one in the sense we understand companies today. I think the reason behind making it a company was to avoid the scrutiny and inflexibility of doing things through the government.

>Be American
>thought America won the war
>didn't know Russia sacked Berlin
>hear literally nothing about the western front until college

Hell I didn't even know millions of people died over there.

In polish school there is literally no infoo about Greter Poland uprising and it's the only uprising in history that we've won

As a Romanian,
>no mention of the Second Bulgarian Tsardom and the large Slavo-Byzantine influence on our medieval culture
>not enough of an emphasis on the role of the Danubian Principalities in the Oriental Crisis from a Balkanic perspective
>a very streamlined, propagandastic version of the forming of Greater Romania post-WW1
>no mention of the war against the Hungarian Soviet Republic under Bela Kun
>the Iron Guard is mentioned just in passing
>no mention of Marshal Antonescu's diplomacy with the Allies via Cairo

Eternal Anglo is real.

I live Argentina
Here we see in highschool some colonial History, and some Spanish History of the Habsburg period, but something I only found out as an adult were the French wars of religion.
They never mentioned them.

And I think the expulsion of the jews from Spain, and later the expulsion of the Moors, are much more famous than the expulsion of the Huguenots, even though this was was bigger than the other 2 combined.

And something that isnt well known outside Argentina is that the UK invaded Buenos Aires twice right after they conquered the Cape colony from the Dutch.
Argentina pretty much became independent because of that, there was no point in remaining a colony if you managed to reject an invasion from England with your local militia, while your colonial power was dominated by France, had lost its fleet in Trafalgar, and could do nothing to help you.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_invasions_of_the_River_Plate

>Switzerland?
>Liechtenstein?
>Luxembourg?
Butchered other Euros in the name of the HRE before they attained independence.

>Hong Kong
Butchered other Chinese before they became British. Butchered Chinese after they became British.

You pretend that these countries were always in their current state because they're currently peaceful. Hell, Luxemburg was still fucking shit up in the Netherlands as late as the early 19th century.

Semi-related, but my local Army base was apparently built to quell any attempt at Haymarket II: Electric Boogaloo. We don't really talk about all of the labor and leftist unrest in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

>tfw you live in the midwest but your leftie millennial friends think that american socialism is a new concept

Belgium: Literally every war except the one skirmish in 1302 we won vs the french, the first world war and the second world war... because in every war we either got our asses kicked, committed atrocities or both...

>Hong Kong
Was a sleepy fishing village in Guangdong, China. It did nothing else in history prior Britain, possibly Hong Kong villagers watching the Portuguese get slaughtered by the Ming Navy in 1520s or some shit. Or that time when the last Song Emperor committed suicide in a village in what is now Kowloon rather than surrender to the Mongs.