What's the most historically influencial crop?

What's the most historically influencial crop?

One of rice/potatoes/wheat would be my guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

talkingfish.org/newengland-fisheries/a-thanksgiving-fish-story
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

tea

Corn

I hope you are aware that corn comes from the Americas.

corn is a general term for staple grains. Maize comes from the Americas.

Hemp
>one of the oldest cultured plants
>fibre for rope, cloth, sails..
>valuable food crop (seeds)
>medicine
>ritual use in many ancient cultures
>duuuude weed dude

Potato.

It allowed individual families to grow their own food staples rather that the village it took to grow and harvest wheat, followed by grinding it into flour and making it into bread.

>maize
>in ancient Rome
Whoever made that has a terrible understanding of history.

Corn in that context obviously means cereals.

Did not know to be honest. But yea not English aye.

It's confusing because in American English corn usually means maize, but in British English it means any cereal.

Overall probably wheat, since it has continuosly been a staple crop for 11,000 years, since the very beginning of settled civilization, and is among the most consumed even today, second only to rice.

Wheat and rice are the most influential in the ancient and medieval times. After discovery of the new world, potatoes and maize.

Thats the joke you idiot

Barley

cocaine

It's a Veeky Forums meme pleb

depends on the region. Most regions of the world have that lifegiver crop that essentially built the civilization it provided for.

Rice is obviously what built asia, with entire empires being formed simply over who owned the rice farm in Japan/China.

Wheat/Barley is what built Europe, the middle east, and North Africa, and probably the most influential in my opinion on just how resilient the crop it, able to be grown essentially anywhere on earth unlike rice, which takes a shitton of water to keep the crop healthy.

The Americas have your potatoes and Maize, which potatoes are probably the most nutritious life-giving crop, as humans realistically can live their entire lifetime on just potatoes and still be healthy.

Wheat in my opinion but i would like to add as a tidbit that we rarely think about how historically important salt is and is definitely in the spirit of this thread to mention

Why did he expect amphiteatres?

>A study of Fijian farms using manual labour showed that ratio of energy put into farming vs yield of energy was 1:17 for rice and 1:60 for sweet potato.

is the chinese climate not suited for potatoes or what?

China is actually the largest producer of Potato today.

Chinese Climate is a general fucking term as they have everything from Jungles, Deserts, Tundra, and Temperate land.

dude
weed
lmao

Marijuana, no question.

marijuana

Rice can be harvested three times a year. Rice has some of the highest yield per hectare. Also imagine eating sweet potatoes as staple fucking gross.

>Also imagine eating sweet potatoes as staple fucking gross.
is that why irish are always so pissed off?

Whatever grain you want to pick, I can't possibly narrow it past the ancestors of modern day barley, wheat, rice, millet, rye, barley, and sorghum. Those grains gave us... us. Retarded our growth for a little while, but once we figured the whole growing shit thing we became the most advanced species that ever graced this planet. Ever.

Can't dry sweet potato and save it over long term.

got anymore like that image? I like collecting historical illustrations.

You can make flour out of sweet potatoes.

you shut your mouth sweet potatoes are delicious

>realistically
Theoretically.

wheat in the old world, maize in the new world, these crops acted as a "starter pack" for agriculture and the domestication of other plants often followed

Tea, corn, (salt) cod, potatoes, sugar.

>thegrinchsmokingacross.jpg

>how the pilgrims figured out how not to starve
talkingfish.org/newengland-fisheries/a-thanksgiving-fish-story

It varies across time and place. All of the crops you mentioned for example were extremely important, but not all of them were extremely important in every period and every location. Rice requires relatively wet climates to grow well for example so it did not prosper much in North China and iirc was not very common in Europe or the Northeastern parts of the United States as opposed to Southern China, Southeast America or Southeast Asia.

Banana and sugarcane are Papuan

Sorghum is Sahelian, as is pearl millet not confined to one nation but rather climatic zone and similar climatic history

Yeast is more important.

>crop

>Irish
>sweet potatoes

Sweet potatoes also contain fyto-oestrogens so maybe not good for stable diet.

Still wheat, rice and normal potatoes are considered unhealthy by doctors. Source: the food hourglass.

Also no love for legumes? But I guess legumes are simply not important enough.

seconding this

Corn