Family History

Do you guys have any interesting bits of family history that you know of?. My grandmother recently emailed me and interview of my great great grandfather who fought in WWII. He had a very interesting story. I'll post the news paper article in segments if you guys are interested. Pic related is him and his award. Feel free to post your own stories in the thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

fw190.hobbyvista.com/kitzingen.htm
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Barb_(SS-220)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have some stories, just stating this as a bumb so the thread gets more attentíon before we put effort into typing.

Yes I do.
I made this thread a while ago and nobody really had anything to share.
My grandfather was Lt. Oscar E. Theis; P-47 "El Texano" pilot.
He flew 117 combat missions as a fighter pilot in Europe and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with one Oak Leaf Cluster, the Air Medal with 19 Oak Leaf Clusters, Distinguished Unit Award, and the European Theater Badge with 6 Battle Stars.
He junked(shot up so bad no longer able to fly) 17 of his planes, and destroyed multiple trains carrying German supplies.
On top of that, on his airbase is where Hans Ulrich Rudel (the hand picked "second fuhrer") and his squadron surrendered.
My grandfather had his flight tags painted on one of the planes, and flew it around for fun.
fw190.hobbyvista.com/kitzingen.htm
>On 8 May 1945, Kitzingen airfield in Germany was home to the Republic P-47s of the 405th FG, but before the day was out, it was also to be the home of a number ofLuftwaffeJu 87s and FW 190s.OberstHans-Ulrich Rudel'sSchlachtgeschwader2 had continued to support German ground forces in the east until the final days of the war, but with hostilities to cease on 8 May 1945, and facing capture by the Russians,OberstRudel and his unit decided to try to reach the West.
FW 190 F-8 W.Nr 584 584 'White 9 + -' 4./S.G. 2
An FW 190Jabobuilt by Arado at Warnemünde, this ircraft had the bulged canopy of later FW 190s. After capture, it was painted with the star and bars, and the 509th FS code of 'G9 - T' was applied. It retained theHakenkreuz, and was probably flown only once by Lt. Oscar Theis, a Texan.

Here is a picture of his plane.

I have a few German soilders on my side of the family. One of them served on a submarine repair boat during WWI, the other was a pilot during WWII.

I also have an extensive family tree which grandfather reasearched, apparntly some of my ancestors fought with Cromwell during his revolution.

I have been extremley intersted in checking the accuracy and extending the tree back even more, how do I go about accuratley doing this?

My great grandfather was a member of the vatican guards, and I have his sable, can't be bothered to take a pic

and here is a picture of him.
He died 4 years ago, and was buried in his overalls, like the good ol' farmboy he was.

About the only thing I can think of is that my great-grandfather once raced against a train on a bicycle and won to 'prove' that these locomotive things weren't really necessary.

Nobody stopped building railroads because of it.

The Pilot.

What a bad ass.

I also have a story of my other great grandfather which I haven't been able to verify, so take it with a grain of salt. He was stationed in the Philippines in WWII when Japan was expanding it's control of the Pacific. He was allegedly never captured. He survived in the jungle and would periodically raid small villages for rice and booze. He would then escape on horseback. He was an alcoholic and apparently drunk on many of his little raids. Of course, I haven't been able to find any documentation on these events.

To me this story sounds too good to be true.

The U-boat repairman.

My other grandfather was an experimental test pilot for Lockheed.
I have no fucking idea how he survived.
He told me one day he flew a plane, the next day someone would die in it.
>What a bad ass
thanks, he always had a few good stories to tell.

And the SMS Vulkan.

Oh, on top of
I met an officer of the only submarine accredited with sinking a train on the Japanese mainland.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Barb_(SS-220)
Look at the bottom of the flag.

My great grandfather was a prussian soldier in a brass band before WW1, he then volunteered in 1914 to be changed from the brass band to the fighting troops. He fought on the west front and after the war he was involved in some secret Reichswehr stuff, fighting against reds and seperatists in the Rhinelands, he then eventually became a brownshirt and in 1940 when his first son who had the same name as he did was called to arms via mail he, the hot tempered guy he was, thought the mail was about him so he said packed his stuff, said farewell to his family and went to the airfield where the recruits should assemble but was sent home because they said that over 50 year olds are not being drafted yet :D

His other son, my grandfather, volunteered in 1943 out fo school and was at first deployed in General Sperrles bodyguard in Paris, then he was sent to a fighter pilot seminar, afters his first flights in late 1944, they were all out of kerosine and planes that they could waste on training so he was moved to the 5. Fallschirmjäger-Division (paratrooper division), to a mortar squad, where they did ambush/guerilla attacks on American troops at night, bombarding their positions when they were asleep and retreating as fast as possible when the damage was done.

They were touring through a village where they met a baker who said he would make them a rum tart/pie, which he did, and he also gave a whole barrel of stark rum to them which they gladly took with them.
Driving in their Opel Blitz encountered a German Tiger Tank whichs SS Commander was out of fuel and requisitioned their rum barrel to use as fuel, they helped him to gas up the tank and when leaving after a few hundred meters the tiger was already being engaged by an American tank column and took some of them out before it exploded.

My great-however-many-times grandfather was a Huguenot and some sort of landed nobility.
He was basically booted out of the country because he caved some dude's face in for slapping his wife. As in killed the guy. Just Hulked on him. Turned out the guy was a nephew of someone higher 'ranking' than him.

My grandfather worked at the Lockheed Skunkworks during the cold war as a materials researcher or some such. Wasn't allowed to leave NATO countries, basically, even into the 2000s. When he passed away at 90, some lantern-jawed guys in black suits from the gubmint came, and searched the house before we could go through and inventory the estate. Real polite, but MAN, was it weird.

Completely serious here.
Ask the Mormons.
They know everything.

Apparently my irish great grand dad moved from Ireland to France, met a german lass and moved to Germany. Volunteered in some meanie battalion, dashed into the woods or some shit after the war. Had baby, thanks based forefathers for germanic blood. le end

I did some googling to try and verify that story using his name and found this pic. His name is Donald LeCouvre and there's actually a few articles on his activities as a guerilla in the Philippines if you guys feel like doing some reading.

My grandfather was hanging around the Philippines too. He was stationed on an aircraft carrier (don't know which) as an airplane mechanic. Didn't see much combat afaik. However, he did have to takeover one of the guns when the gunner was killed (again, I don't know what type of gun unfortunately).

One of my grandpa's thought in russia, but was injured. They allowed him to go back home to a hospital, but he needed to back himself. So he trainhopped military supplytrains et cetera.
Turns out he was lucky. His Batallion later fought and dies trying to hold Stalingrad.

An other familymember was captured by russians and was mass executed with other prisoners. But the bullet missed him and he pretended to be dead. So they threw him on the pile with the dead. And then at night he crawled out of the pile of corpses and fled.

my greatgrandfather fought in WWI in the famous battle of Caporetto.
he refused his General's order and this way he avoided sure death for him and his squad.
I wouldn't be here typing if he had followed orders.
based bisnonno

my great-grandad fought with tommy barry in the 3rd west cork brigade... only found out about it recently when my dad showed me his obituary. seriously nobody talks about this shit in my family so its just going to be lost... no stories, no details

This thread just reminded me again how i have to ask one of my grandpas about his ancestors in ww2 before he dies, his health is already deteroriating and he has early onset dementia, also his hearing is so bad he can't even speak to my mom over the phone anymore

Like shit's real bad, i'm running out of time and need to scramble to get dat sweet family history info from him asap

My oma is the illegitimate child of some duke or Prince or whatever from the austro Hungarian empire.

I'm about 1/8th royalty I guess

Idk how to feel about it. I probably have higher than normal hereditary diseases

do it as soon as possible user.
I regret not asking as much as I could to my grandad. the few things he told me were very precious and helpful

My great uncle was sent to Germany with other allied soldiers during WWII on a secret mission to track down and kill Rommel.

My great, great grandfather was decapitated in his home country of Lebanon by Muslims or Drewz (can't remember) for his horse ranch or some shit. My great grandfather fled from Lebanon with his wife at the age of 14-18 (we don't know his actual age because he lied about it to seem younger) by boarding a ship to England. The ship ended up going to the US and the rest is history.

I used to think my family was making this shit up until I looked up the village where my great great grandfather was supposedly decapitated and saw a list of prominent families in the area. One of those names was my extremely rare (500 people, most related to me, in the US) last name.

My great great granps. Austrian army, no idea what role and rank tho. Grandma doesn't know and it's hard to identify as the colors can't be recognized

My ancestors were nobles in Verona in the Late Middle Ages and Renaissance, there was a time when three of them were in the Council and they helped built the Loggia del Consiglio, one of the major landmarks of Verona today. A few centuries later, their descendants in this line of the family were involved with art in the Papal States and one of them apparently helped Giuseppe Garibaldi in one of his campaigns. There are only around 170 people with my last name in the world, from what I've seen.

Ashkenazi Israeli here.
Yes

Great grandad and his family were all Communist in Spain during the Spanish Civil War and fought for the Republican side. Once the Nationalist had won he and his family snuck into France hidden inside hay carts, except for one of his brothers who was executed by the Fascist (Antonio?Alejandro? idk desu). This was like 1940 I think and by 41 he was in America. He had made his way to New York where he realized that it was cold as fuck and couldn't stand it, he then saw that there was a booming timber industry in California, and they moved there. There he joined the American communist party. He and his family lived in a all imigragtiont part of the city (can't remember where exatly) and was sort of community leader. He died pretty old in like the mid 90's after breaking his hip after falling out of his tangerine tree while trimming it because he refused to pay someone to do it.

bump

Fuck you and your family

This is my great great grandfather and his brothers, taken in the Hebrides in Scotland. Most of these guys fought in the Cameron Highlanders in WW1.

>Lake Wales
Neat, used to live in Auburndale

Something in my post trigger you?

I am directly related to General Lewis Armistead so that's pretty cool

My great-grandfather fought for Colombia in the war against Peru. He died before I was born so everything is secondhand.

My other great-grandfather was an immigrant from Italy to Colombia and had a picture of Mussolini on the mantle, even into the 50s. There's some history there, I gotta look into that.

I'm related to soldiers who fought for Bonny Prince Charles and we're expelled to the colonies (father is from Barbados)

Grandfather fought for Germany on East and Westfront in the Luftwaffe in ww2, later became journalist. His father fought in ww1 in france and turkey, before that he traveled around the globe as part of the later Kriegsmarine as a Militärattache. A true blue blooded aristocrat. Can trace my line back to at least 1400 century including several semi famous people.

Oh including one russian general who fought napoleon several times and lived to tell the tale.