You will never be able to learn all the languages you want to learn

>you will never be able to learn all the languages you want to learn

What are you learning Veeky Forums? What did you already learn?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aNc5i8bf4zs
dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3592753/Don-t-panic-250-Babelfish-like-gadget-fits-inside-ear-translate-foreign-languages-real-time.html).
scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-computer-beat-the-go-master/).
strawpoll.me/10695755
youtu.be/vUXcYTjINtI
youtu.be/mV7SvV8w-hc?list=PLl7jde1EZ8rme0zRimjTW69Z9t-jGJlkL
slowgerman.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm conversational in Portuguese

and I was conversational in Italian back when I lived there for 6 months, but that was back in 2010 and I've gotten so rusty just from not practicing since then.

>you will be able to learn all the languages you want to learn

Belief and effort are powerful, don't drain the others with negative implications

Spanish and Japanese, conversational but rusty in French.

Want to learn Russian but I don't have any good resources,

>not wanting to learn dozens of languages
>not realizing this is impossible in a lifetime
>not wanting to learn extinct ancient languages

Learn just C++ and program a translator with machine language as backput. Problem solved.

I already know C++ and I realize this is a joke, but this is still retarded.

Knowing something and mastering is something quite different.

That's completely beside the point.

I really wish there was a language board. It could be used to help people learn languages through dedicated threads, and it would also keep all language threads out of Veeky Forums and /int/, where they never go anywhere anyways.

The argument that languages aren't popular enough to warrant a board is void when a slow board is exactly what you want for something as slow as learning a language.

/int/ without flags could probably work, but with flags it's impossible with all the shitposting.

What are your thoughts on Spanish?

What are your thoughts on Portuguese?

Portuguese is okay, but the way Portuguese speakers put it on a pedestal is quite annoying tbqh senpai

>want to learn everything
>fuck around all day instead
I'm pretty good at German at least.

been falling in love with japanese the past few months. hoping to be decent with conversation by the end of summer.
heres one thing that keeps me going (along with all of her other stuff)
youtube.com/watch?v=aNc5i8bf4zs

どうして日本語の勉強を始めたの?

アニメが好きだからなの?

>went to specialized French school from pre-school to middle school
>beside of just learning the language, half of all subjects were taught in French by French teachers
>hated it as a kid and retain almost nothing of the language as an adult
Regrets

Im learning how to write legibly, as well as caligraphy.
I never tries to in school so now i write like a 2 year old.
I want to eventually learn chinese and combine both of these to write poetry in chinese

I already compose poetry in ancient mayan glyphs
Not even memeing

>parents try to get me to one of the most prestigious schools in my country, which happens to be a specialized German school similar to the French one you describe, and also happens to be located at a 3 minutes walk from my home.
>fail entrance exam (for pre-school) because I'm several months younger than the minimum age required
>parents decide not to wait for next year, and put me on another school instead.

It wasn't a bad school (ranked about the same as the other school when it came to academics), but I could be speaking German now.

Es tut mir leid, meine freunde.

>I already compose poetry in ancient mayan glyphs
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Had to take a screenshot of the pic because filesize

The main giant character houses the rest of the poem
It roughly translates into

Rain blinds, water flies
So much it tortures
But none can swim

Uses the glyphs in a way to imply the rain is human suffering

I want to learn Russian, Arabic and Japanese, but I'm hella lazy. That's about it.

Pic unrelated.

How did you learn Mayan glyphs?

I know enough about them to know those aren't random scribbles, but that's about it. Are you using the glyphs with meaning, or phonetically?

Also, what the hell. That's extraordinary.

How or where did you study these?

I did a fuck million pounds of research

Both
The main glyph is actuallu chaak pakal, which is a combination glyph of a warrior kings personal name with the rain gods character, it borrows markings of a skull.

The very bottom is entirely phonetic, yubte and then the word for breath which I entirely forget how its said. Its around the main figures neck like a garrote.
The phrase their is to take away breath or suffocate.

Its fun

Solo research and lots of boredom

I learned something about my country today.

how do you guys learn languages?

and whats your opinion on duolingo

Suppose I had no one to practice my conversational skills with, what are things I can do? I can read pretty well, but I can only form the most basic of sentences out loud at a slow pace.

Amazing.

I always wondered how strict you had to be with your strokes. Same with Hieroglyphs and Cuneiform. Hanzi are just so well studied and standardized that it boggles my mind how the other logographic/mixed writing systems managed to be written.

I'm Grammar guides and immersion through media. Classes also help, because they force you to speak and listen constantly. I've found out I pretty much do all my learning through listening.

Duolingo is cool at the beginning, because it helps you build up your vocabulary, but it shouldn't be used on its own.

I learned that recent developments in metalinguistic processing paired with AI have resulted in an earpiece that instantly translates between several languages (dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3592753/Don-t-panic-250-Babelfish-like-gadget-fits-inside-ear-translate-foreign-languages-real-time.html).

I also learned that deep-learning systems are capable of generating logarithmic growth in AI systems (scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-computer-beat-the-go-master/).

Pairing these phenomena, it seems like a logical conclusion that coming years will see an erosion of the language barrier, and that we will increasingly acquire many languages simultaneously, using them rhetorically as befits our needs in an increasingly globalized culture.

So the question is this: what value is there in learning a language if the language you already speak can be understood by everyone?

Fun?

I hold my wrist tight and write it as you would chinese on course sand with a long stick

As for the character itself the shapes matter more than the strokes
If you get the overall shape correct it doesnt matter the stroke order, for mayan at least.

Scale is also important especially for compound glyphs, if the scale of the main glyphs to the supporting glyphs are off then it looks messy and gross

>machine translations are/will be a thing
see Even today it's not even necessary to learn any language other than English and maybe your neighbor's language if they live close enough, the point isn't communication anymore.

Nowadays, you learn languages for culture, art and entertainment. It can even be considered a historical endeavor, because it can help you understand the thought processes of people in the past.

I speak English and German, but my Spanish is rusty. (I live in Texas so those are the three dominant languages)

>German in Texas
Really?

I speak English and Dutch fluently, can order food and other basics in French and German(I really regret not trying harder to learn those languages at school), and I'm currently trying to study Latin.
I'm probably to lazy to seriously get on with my Latin, but a man can dream.

>but a man can dream.
Factum est.

Were the resources you used online, or did you go to a library to get some books on the subject?

I think you could trick anybody into thinking you're a Mayologist(?) with just this knowledge.

Learning classical arabic to read the quran in the original arabic, and to be able to engage in the 1400 years of islamic scholarship that's not available to me in english.

It's going well, I'm baffled by the nuance and mathematical orderliness of this language.

>you will never be able to force yourself to begin learning any language

Why am I so lazy?

>mathematical orderliness
Do explain.

strawpoll.me/10695755

I can't really, except by pointing you to the triconsonant root system.

I already learned English.

I want to learn Korean but I'm afraid of attending classes and looking like some kind of Korean fetishist.

Fuck.

Currently learning Spanish, easy as fuck because i can also speak Italian due to MUH HERITAGE

I'd like to learn Karelian and Arabic.

I've already learned english, but I struggle quite a bit with pronunciation.

I want to learn German and Russian, and, after those two, I´d really like to learn Japanese.

Stupidest post on Veeky Forums I've seen all month.

I wanted to learn Russian. I can read Cyrillic script but not as well as before and know a few Russian words.
I find it hard to take time for it since I spend my time binge reading on a broad range of different scientific subjects.

I also know a bit of my dialect, especially animals and plants. Which are hilarious*. The dialect is sadly almost dead, I wish it was more alive (even if heavily invested with words of the common language).

*Plants named after diseases, toilets, insults to Catholics and a thistle (hated by farmers) named after regional people (also hated of course).

Both, the books I read where about explorers going their and posting pictures of their drawings of the glyphs. I used online resources, modern mayan language (which is still the primary language of many people of the Yucatan) and some creative liscense, since compounding glyphs is almost an artistic endaevor

I mean. Tricking people is way too silly especially for this subject since no one knows jack shit about it.
Your better off, and its easier, to become am amateur mayologist than pretending to be one.

Cool hobby user. I tend to be a generalist so it is difficult to specialize into something.

I want to be an historian professionally. I am a native English speaker, and this year have learnt Latin (with a focus on Late and Medieval Latin). I am learning Greek next year.

If I intend to git gud I will need German, French and Italian as well, bare minimum.

I tried to learn German this year, but I was abominable and had to drop it because I had too much else on. But of the three modern languages above, German and French are definitely my priorities.

/lang/ would be great, hope the mods of Veeky Forums see this.

Whatever you do, don't learn Chinese

no that earpiece doesn't work
machine translation will not be at that level for a long time

アニメのためにじゃないだった笑。ある日、ひらがなを覚えて始まった。楽しかったから :)

Think in the target language.

HelloTalk app
also cant recommend enough
go through potential conversations in your head, and fill in the gaps of stuff you dont know how to say

Shit needs bumping yo

Has anyone checked out Babbel? I've seen some tv ads regarding it and it looks promising. Also, how effective is Duolingo? I'm doing German there right now and I'm wondering whether or not I would be able to comfortably watch German tv after completing the course.

Quos libros legisti? Fortasse, ego vetustior est te, longe jam diu Latinam didici, verum nondum satis Latinae scio, ut plures libros legere possim.

Quoque didici Graecam linguam antiquam, sed iterum, fortasse, nondum intelligo plurimos libros.

Spero te fore felicior me.

Just watch German TV already, don't use Duolingo on its own.

Duolingo only works, from my experience, for three main factors:
1) Increasing your vocabulary
2) Giving you a feel for the language's grammar (and orthography)
3) Drilling common phrases and word orderings into your head through repetition.

Give that it's formatted as a game, it's a very useful tool, as it's fun to use.

HOWEVER, you'll need way more vocabulary than Duolingo can teach you, you'll need a better understanding of grammar than what is taught before the lessons, and you need to actually try to use the language in order to really learn it.

Duolingo is a complementary tool, not a main one.

I tried Babbel once, and I thought it was okay, but nothing to special. It didn't really convince me for a paid service.

I wish I could become a historian, but that really wasn't an option on my shitty third world country.

I am trying to learn german as well mostly through duolingo. But while i can read or write basic german i cant fuckin understand when a person says anything. Any advice ?

i don't understand how people can find duolingo fun, or see it as a game. for me it's the most boring and painful thing to do, to sit through the obnoxious animations every time you click a button. just use anki, if you can find a good deck with sounds and images then it's superior in every way

I happen to have started to learn German in the past, before I realized I liked other languages more and kind of stopped.

Look up these kinds of videos:
youtu.be/vUXcYTjINtI
youtu.be/mV7SvV8w-hc?list=PLl7jde1EZ8rme0zRimjTW69Z9t-jGJlkL

And use sites like slowgerman.com/ to listen to German constantly. Then, you can jump to movies and the like.

When you have enough vocabulary from those kinds of resources and Duolingo, grab a couple of grammar guides to understand how German works. People say this is not recommended, and that it's better to get a feel for the language, but at least it works for me.

When you feel comfortable, you can try to talk with German people on /int/ or some other dedicated websites.

>i don't understand how people can find duolingo fun
Pavlov.

I mean, people (like me) find solving math and physics problems fun. Solving a language problem in a language that you like (especially when you have to write in that language, I wish Duolingo had an option for using those types of questions the most) can be pretty fun.

>if you can find a good deck with sounds and images then it's superior in every way
This is completely true. There's an amazing Mandarin deck that pretty much teaches you Mandarin all on its own (though looking up grammar isn't a bad thing). The only drawback, if you care for it, is that it uses the simplified characters.

In any case, yes, Anki is a top tier app/program and everyone should use it. Making your own decks (if you can't find good ones for the language you're learning) can be a little tedious, but it's worth it.

I don't suppose you could share the name of that mandarin deck, from one studious user to another...

Sure, it's SpoonFedChinese.

You should already be familiar with tones and phonetics before using it though, since most of the learning is done by associating the spoken syllables with the characters and their meaning.

Since it uses phrases instead of words, it helps a lot in getting a feel for actual Mandarin.

Thanks user, here's a (You) for your troubles.

I just got home from Japan and was blown away by the country. I picked up a book (genki) to get an introduction to the languages and I am now deciding between two night classes.

There's one on cripplechan and it's shit, literally no one uses it.

I know, but that's true for 99% of the boards there. I've been there, and that's the reason I want a Veeky Forums version (and one without flags).

Veeky Forums boards aren't created ad infinitum, so people can actually notice that a /lang/ board exists.

A /po/ or Veeky Forums board in 4+Veeky Forums would get even less traffic than the /lang/ board there. There's just too little users for too many boards.

I know portuguese, which is my mother tongue, and I get by with my english. Know a little bit of german due to the immigrant background of my grandparents.

Currently learning classic latin. Most basic shit is out of the way, I can already read some classic works while understanding the general idea of every sentence.

My goal is to get fluent in english, get acceptable in latin and turn my immigrant dialect german into real german some day. Four languages is good enough for a lifetime, I guess.

Russian's more popular than I expected.

learn group when?

Let this thread live a little more.