What does Veeky Forums think of Assassins Creed?

What does Veeky Forums think of Assassins Creed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UOgvbS4GkF0
youtube.com/watch?v=YQ86b-2xpNk
youtube.com/watch?v=5E2w8TFBAI0
youtube.com/watch?v=nL18INzP2ps
youtube.com/watch?v=_csWmsbZQFc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Trashy nu-left propaganda for trashy nu-male individuals.

Most are fun, but the story is physically painful. Rogue was the best.

Running and jumping around and stabbing people is fun, story is dumb, especially the modern day parts.

>I passed my history exam playing assassins creed xDDDD

I think it was okay. I've only played up to Brotherhood though so I don't know how full retard the story goes after [spoiler]Desmond dies[/spoiler].

So very full retard. And it starts impacting the ancestor stories. But Rogue/Black Flag are worth playing.

>story is dumb, especially the modern day parts.

you mean the best part ;)

By 3 its shit.

I haven't playee Unity and Syndicate because my PC is too shit to run them, but from what l have played, l woulfn't be surprised if they were the shittiest of the bunch.

I think every game improved on the gameplay of ots predecessor, but the core concept got stale after the third game or so.

I played them because of the "historical tourism" angle since most of the settings were interesting, but the shoehorned sci-fi shit ways turned me off.

I think the original is still my favorite, tbqh. The combat might not be as engaging because of the lackluster AI, but ot's still challenging. And it was written rather well on top of that. Or as well as a historical conspiracy theory can be, anyway.

- The main story plots are complete shit and historically inaccurate.
- The cities' designs are pretty top tier.

It's amazing as a simulator of past places and for running around and exploring them. Unity's Paris was the high point for that.

I liked the first two.

Ubisoft has been milking it like mad now.

I think their attempts at accents are awful and they ruin the immersion. I don't dislike the games tho, even if they're not all that much.
The franchise's historical accuracy however is such that you should only open this thread on /v/.

None of it is true, but we'll permit it all.

GTA: Ancient Rome when?

Sometimes a kid will play them then decide to lookup the shit that is mentioned instead of taking it at face value, so it's not all that bad.

>play a crossroad brotherhood socio during the Clodius/Milo gang wars
Why has this not been funded yet?

The next AC will probably be set in Ancient Egypt if the rumors are true.

I soubt they'd go to Ancient Rome, we already got a taste of the city in Brotherhood.

What l'd like is an actual full-fledged game set in Russia, India, or China. Like thise indie-tier spin-offs they made, but just bigger and fully realized.

>we already got a taste of the city in Brotherhood
It would look completely different tho. Hell pre imperial Rome would look completely different from imperial Rome too.

They'll probably do more ancient world after Egypt, most likely including Rome.

Russia, India, and China are really unlikely. Maybe Japan, but not any time soon.

The concept could've been great, but unfortunately it's run by a bunch of SJWs who care more about forcing in their propaganda than both historical accuracy and telling a good story.

The only positive aspect is the scenery.

As far as using the setting for a story goes, Unity is by far the worst of the bunch. The absolute worst. You have the single most important, most impactful and most complicated event in modern history (roughly the past 3-5 centuries) as a backdrop, and what do they do with this?

Do they go the easy route and say the Republicans are backed by the Assassins and the Monarchy by the Templars? Do they (over)emphasize the reign of Terror and the brutality of the revolution by making the Republicans Templars and the Assassins Royalists? Or do they make the Templars and Assassins different faction within the Republican element, explaining the rapid changes in power during the Republican phase? Do they give Napoleon a role, especially considering AC II heavily implied Napoleon found a piece of Eden in Egypt? Is he a Templar? Assassin? Just some third party nobody who stumbled into things like Savanarolla in AC II?

Of course not, they go for the most boring possible path. I won't say unimaginative, because it takes creative effort to fuck up this hard. The Revolution is factions of Templars infighting. And instead of the Assassins using this weakness to prop up their preferred candidate (*cough cough* Napoleon *cough*) they sit back and DO FUCKING NOTHING. That's right, the Assassins do nothing for the entire game. It's all about French Ezio and his revenge story. Except where Ezio's revenge story slowly and neatly progressed into him actually and fully backing the Assassin cause (which was to keep the Borgias out of power, among others), Arno's revenge story never really ties into his Assassin ties. He just kind of joins them and... nothing.

Fucking hell, I want them to remake this game and actually DO something with the setting. When just looking at the barebones "story" of Unity, it could take place in literally any other period of French history, or the history of any other country. The Revolutionary setting is just window dressing.

It's almost like they forgot they marketed the game as a single player game, not as a p2w mp shitfest.

Yeah I said the main story is shit.

But Unity has by far the best map, be it in terms of realism or details, and also great side quests.

AC isn't about the story, it's about history tourism in beautiful cities while doing parkour and killing people, and it's really good at that.

That's probably true for the more recent titles. That's also why AC II remains my favorite: it actually uses the beautiful setting as a device for its story, introducing and actually fucking using some famous characters of the era (bro-ing it up with Da Vinci is neat) instead of off-handedly referring to them (Napoleon in Unity, Dickens in Syndicate).

The whole idea of assassins is ridiculous.

Napoleon is actually pretty cool in Unity. He's the only one though. All the amazing and fascinating characters of the Revolution are wasted, Robespierre is a boring cardboard villain with two lines, most others like Hebert don't even make an appearance.

The longer this series drags out, the more you realize how much the Assassins suck.

At least the Templars are usually pushing for their own goals. The Assassins do nothing on their own, they just exist to kick over the Templars' sandcastles.

The most ridiculous part was AC III, where every templar Connor killed argued very convincing about the Templar's goals, while Connor only mumbled childish "b-but freedom" "a-all should be free" shit. And in the end he still fucked up, because his tribe got deported (or something) nonetheless.

It doesn't really capitalize on historical events to drive the plot. It pretty much does their own shit.

Like, in the one that takes place in 18th century France, I was legitimately upset when neither Robespierre nor Louise ended up doing shit. The entire fucking revolution was just a backdrop for this dude having wacky adventures with his girlfriend. Like, what the fuck? Shouldn't it be all about how the assassins instigated the revolution, and then realizing things were kinda becoming fucked? It would have made the player aware that the secretive assassin order isn't perfect. Also, they speak in English accents and that shit isn't forgivable no matter what way you look at it. Isn't Ubisoft a French company? Shouldn't they have tried especially hard to made this one good?

The pirate one was pretty good on that, though. For one history characters were actually used in the main cast as opposed to just off handed references.

Didn't even read the whole thread. See this guy is fucking mad too.

I'm livid.

It would be better without the modern time bits, where they tried to connect all the games.

Assassin's Creed in the Crisis of the Third Century would be god tier tho

Black Flag was the shit, sailing the high seas, boarding other ships and slaying everyone on board in dramatic fashion, murdering whales with my harpoon and then my crew sings a nice little song.

>Have a game about stealth and climbing buildings

>Make a game about boats

This, there's even one guy that tells him that both sides of any conflict believe they're morally right and that no one is objectively morally correct and he tells him
>your words may have been from heart but it doesn't make them true
Full. Retard.

I would much rather play a free roaming open world game set in the Roman Republic made by Rockstar Games using the same animation/physics/animals n shiet form Red Dead Redemption.

Imagine, taking missions from corrupt senators n whatnot.

Holy shit I didn't even see your post.

I've wanted this:
FOR YEARS.

Crowdfund now.

It's fun to jump from rooftop to rooftop in historically recreated cities while wondering which new historical figure they were going to butcher with their batshit stupid story

Black Flag was the best.

>Gladiator fight club
>Mythology related side missions
>Drink get wasted on based lead wine
>Wrek shit with Mars and have a one night stand with Venus

I'm glad they're taking their time with Empire instead of rushing it for 2016, thank god

>Bandit and Carthaginian hideouts
>Build a small host of men as you collect monies
>Forge weapons

Am i the only one that wants to it set in the Thirty Years War?

>they speak in English accents and that shit isn't forgivable no matter what way you look at it
What the fuck?

You know French people don't have accents or sound like brain-damaged retards when they talk to each other right?

If you want authenticity just play the game in French, otherwise play it in regular English. Sometimes I really don't understand what goes on in American people's heads.

>Rockstar
>ever making a game not set in America
lol

Lots of alternative-history conspiracy theories. Pretty interesting to read but that's about it.

>You know French people don't have accents or sound like brain-damaged retards when they talk to each other right?
You've never played Assassins Creed, have you? They really ham it up with the accents.

Go play ACII, then go play AC Unity. Suddenly the lack of accents bothers you.

For fucks sake, they did French accents before. TWICE. First with various French templars in the first Assassins Creed, and then with the Baron de Valois in AC Brotherhood.

First game flawed but good.
The rest is dogshit and it's one of the titles that ruined the industry.

Yes it was pretty retarded.

That's an expansion for a 20 year old game. I'm talking about present day.

I have and the accents are retarded. The fact that they stopped that shit for Unity was an improvement.

I really hate this American faggotry. The English dubbing of the Napoleon miniseries is completely unwatchable because of the retarded accents making everyone sound like inspector Clouseau.

I know I know I really had to pull that one out of my ass for good measure

It got fucking dumb when they decided literally every influential person in history was connected with either the Assassins or Templars.

>I learned more about history from Assassin's Creed than I did from my history class :^)

I'll admit I didn't know the Borgias were real until I finished Brotherhood and looked them up.

Video games are absolutely terrible and I wish with the "Veeky Forums memes" threads would fuck off.

This - I could only do that then uninstalled the game after 40 minutes of doing that.

>Have a game about stealth and climbing buildings

>Make a game where you climb on boats - explore the sea, and stealth in cities.

youtube.com/watch?v=UOgvbS4GkF0

because they were frenchies trying to speak a different language. in unity they are all supposed to speak french which is translated by the animus to english, it's not that hard to grasp

The language of the Christian states in the Holy Land was French.

A shitty series that has been utter mediocrity at its best and certainly not Veeky Forums related in any way.

That would be awesome. Have it back to 1/2/Rogue/BF scale of multiple cities, of course.
Trouble is they'd never do it, because how many ADHD American children know about the Thirty Years War?

You're right but at the same time few of the other games actually had a story that made great use of the political ongoings of the setting. Unity definitely takes the cake for "missed opportunity" but 3 was pretty shit in terms of making the story of the American revolution more interesting than it was. Wait, American colonists were dicks to the natives? Whaaaaaaaaat?!?!? Wait, some of the Templars are more than just mustache twirling villains? Woooah slow down we're breaking into new territory (that we've already covered)

How many ADHD children knew about the Borgias?
Europe is overplayed imo, I'd really like something set in Khmer or Sakoku Japan.

I really liked it until the ending of AC3.

>I'd really like something set in Khmer or Sakoku Japan
Ugh, they'd ruin it with a patronisingly exotic and mystical portrayal of Asian culture while simultaneously being "nuanced" because secretly all Asians throughout history were Confucianist Buddhist liberals

>How many ADHD children knew about the Borgias?
A few more when it came out because of the show, probably. But it was more Renaissance than straight up Borgia. Or more pointedly, it was Leonardo da Vinci.
Of course the crux of the matter is that 2 was probably the last one where they cared, just before they turned it into a cashcow to be milked yearly.

But yea, a proper Japan/China one is overdue. Could never really run out of Euro material, though.

First one is only good one

Could've been really cool but ended up being total garbage
People just play them to run around old time periods and I wish Ubisoft would realize that.
However, Motdef's AC videos are legendary, still some of the funniest fuckin videos I've seen.
youtube.com/watch?v=YQ86b-2xpNk
youtube.com/watch?v=5E2w8TFBAI0
youtube.com/watch?v=nL18INzP2ps
youtube.com/watch?v=_csWmsbZQFc

And yet in ACII everyone in Italy has a thick accent even though they're only talking to other Italians.

I've only played the first game, watched my friends play the second and third game.

Overall it's shit.

The level designs are good, accurate and very detailed. It's fun to run around exploring. However the plot, the characters and it's attempt to bring every historical event in the period onto the game is so full of shit it hurts to listen to.

this

well-researched and accurate historical games don't exist

assassin's creed is about taking history and turning it into a meme

This.

The Ming dynasty assassins in Ass Creed were wearing Qing dynasty Manchu clothes

Ubisoft is fucking retarded

>Khmer
from what sources

I'm Khmer and can barely find any cool historical shit other than the obvious. Fucking Pol Pot head burned everything.

>because secretly all Asians throughout history were Templars or Assassins
BTFY

>play assassin's creed: glorious nippon
>play a kickass assassin
>first mission
>meet blacksmith who's crafting a new sword
>katana folded steel 10000x
>suddenly baka gaijin invade
>must use expertise in martial arts and katana to defend my country

just needs a good anime soundtrack

>nu-male
Why are young men so damn insecure all the time?

>Trashy nu-left propaganda for trashy nu-male individuals.
Agree misquoting Mr. Marx is wrong, but *TIPS FEDORA*

Russia under the Romanovs would look too similar to Paris in unity.

Tbh I feel like they've exhausted European locations by pushing the games forward through time.

I want them to tackle more exotic and ancient locations, but I fear that they'll fuck it up like how they fucked up Constantinople in revelations.

>from what sources
Who cares, they'll ignore any cultural differences anyway.

>like how they fucked up Constantinople in revelations
By making the Byzantines evil because "fuck anything having to do with Christendom?"

I don't recall the Byzantines being very involved in the game.

I don't remember properly because I played it years ago, but I personally found the city remarkably boring after having played 2 and brotherhood.

Setting it in a partially destroyed city was pretty stupid.

>Setting it in a partially destroyed city was pretty stupid.
I thought the previous two games were set at least partly in Rome.

>organization of secretive murderers
>wear uniforms and easily recognizable symbols

In the original game it made sense, as the robes were designed to blend in with Muslim monks (or whatever those dudes were) but "coolified" with pouches and leather and shit.
As is the case for basically every vidya franchise ever, the later installments completely lost sight of what made the original unique, smart, or entertaining.

Pretty much this.

Coming up with interesting ways to assassinate people in medieval palestine and Renaissance Italy is just downright fun.

The stories are generally silly. Ayy lmaos and all that. The only story I somewhat enjoyed was III what with the native americans and the what if reign of King Washington.

It kind of made sense in 2 as well on the count Ezio was the only person who wore that outfit, and it just looked like some very swaggy noble's attire.

The big ass gaudy assassin symbol on his belt wasn't exactly subtle.

Also, I don't know too much about Renaissance Italy, maybe it was routine for nobles to carry around swords, but it couldn't have been routine to walk around absolutely loaded down with weapons the way Ezio does.

I think that's what the cape was for given that it drapes over the bulk of his gear.

Oh god dude, this 100 times
you get to make your own character out of three races,
roman, german tribal and jew,
and they all have their own side quests and story lines.

hnngggg

>italian man decides to crash a cavern ontop of Byzantine rebels because they asked Templars for help against the Ottomans
>not even 100 years after the fall of Constantinople all the Assassins are now turks
>A rebel assassin even talks to Ezio and says hes pissed the Turk Assassins did nothing to stop Ottoman invasions of Wallachia(I think)
>Ezio is told by his Turk Assassin Friend the town guards try and look the other way when assassins are fighting Templars
>muh Assassins totally don't have a bullshit Pro-Turk agenda backed by the Osmanli's
>a Ottoman prince turns out to run the Templars
Nice going Ezio, maybe murdering everybody who has talked to a Templar for 5 seconds isn't the best strategy.

>Jew
Awesome

Pharisee Ken Rosenberg would be class.

Why is Jew an option? There are a ton more relevant Roman subject peoples before you get to those ornery assholes.

Ezio does nothing but chimp out since the opening missions of ACII.

The games do not portray Italians in a good light.

because they are the sneak/subturfeuge class on a turbo level.
the german you would play questlines like caravan guard, royal guard, or a rebel,
roman could be a politician, commander, or soldier questline
and the jew would have slinger, banker, and rouge/crime leader
so all would have good and bad questlines essentially

AC1 is a tech demo
AC2 is a great game
ACBrotherhood is an amazing game
ACRevelations is a pretty good ish game
AC3 is good gameplay wise but horrible story wise
All the rest are trash apart for 4 which is more "Sid Meiers Pirates 2: Pirate Harder"