Is there any proof vikings were muscular?

Is there any proof vikings were muscular?

>inb4 that sandnigger describing Rus'

if only the ruling class was Norse (which isn't true either, Rurik was Finnish) and he described the commoners aka Slavs why the fuck would you attribute their looks to the Norse?

Other urls found in this thread:

chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/09/stemming-tide-of-deevolution.html
wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Norn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

vikings, saxons, slavs where all weak betas

Anglo-saxon chicks stated several times the Vikings were ripped and had huge hard dicks.

>vikings, saxons, slavs where all weak betas
wew

A viking skeleton found in Russia was 230cm tall, isotope analasys showed he grew up in Norway, and bone pressure indicated he had 75.0 muscle mass, that's comparable to Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime.

It would make sense for a group of men who split there time between fighting, rowing and eating to be quite muscular.

>tfw the viking age was the first Beta uprising.

They'd be strong, but they wouldn't be built. The modern image of a muscular physique, with large inflated muscles, is only really possible through a strict modern diet and well calculated exercise regimen. Before the modern era, most people's diet were simply not varied enough and the types of physical activity they performed did not lend themselves to create the type of "fit" physique we think of today. But, make no mistake, "big muscles" does not mean "strong", and the average viking, who spent most of his time farming, plus fighting and rowing in the off season, meant he would be quite strong. To see the type of physique comparable to what a viking likely would have had, look no further than third-world farmers of today, who are often quite short and perhaps a bit lanky, but are very well toned and possess quite a good deal of strength due to their daily strenuous activity.

What are you on about m8?

>Posts Hercules
>Implying

Are you telling me that the Demi-God Hercules, famed for being the strongest man ever to exist, represents an average or even attainable physique for pre-modern man? You're beyond deluded.

>Comparing half starved subsistence agriculturalists to well fed warrior raiders

His point is that they clearly knew how buff muscular men looked.
Explain the Maori then

>Well fed warrior raiders

They were fucking farmers who raided undefended towns and villages and got their shit pushed in at any organized resistance. Who you're thinking of are Huscarls, the actually professional warriors and retainers of the Norse world.

Doesn't really refute what he said. Those guys are definitely in great shape, developed muscles with low bodyfat. But they aren't fucking ripped like bodybuilders are today. Such massive size probably wouldn't even be that practical in ancient warfare.

Not that they'd do poorly, mind. But soldiers back then needed to be able to march all day on sometimes sparse amounts of nutrition and rest. Such a lifestyle probably isn't going to produce or favor a 350 lbs powerlifter.

Mirrin'

Did I ever imply they didn't know what buff people looked like? No, way to move the goal posts, I said it was most likely a completely unobtainable physique for most people.

Secondly, if you are implying that the Maori diet was in any ways similar to agricultural diet, you're an idiot. Maori and Aboriginals such as had totally different diets and physical demands compared to a person living in an agricultural society. Agriculture, especially pre-modern agriculture, has a tendency to make the average person's diet almost completely grain-centered, which often results in stunted growth. Whereas societies who rely less on agriculture and more on traditional hunting and gathering have more varied and protein rich diets, and are usually healthier and display fuller growth.

No actually Norse people had generally better diets than the rest of Europe.

You can see the same thing with soldiers in Western armies up until the start of the War on Terror. Today's soldiers (at the least the infantry and special forces) do far more weight-lifting and strength training than their predecessors.

Most people tend to lose muscle mass in basic training and while campaigning/in combat, fwiw

That still doesn't mean they had a diet as full and varied as a modern one. But, it is true, Norsemen did have a slightly better diet compared to other Europeans at the time, making the average male height at the time a staggering 5'7", but, once again, it doesn't disprove my previous statement on how Norsemen were most likely built.

What said, warfare is much more cardio and endurance focused that purely strength focused. It doesn't matter how hard you can thrust your spear, if you can't hack it on the trail to the battle you're pretty worthless as a soldier. That is not to say strength isn't important, it just is not the sole factor.

>tfw no burly Viking husbando

A life of constant wood chopping, fishing, hard labour and other work would make them much more buff than third world tribesmen.

They'd look like the primitive technology guy.

Just go to Norway.

You think abos weren't doing any manual labor are you retarded? Also

>third world tribesmen

because scandinavian tribesmen who didn't even bother with writing their won history are so much better lmao

go Byzantium or go fuck yourself

How is the image you posted a fundamentally diferrent physique than or the far left person in Once again, they're certainly fit, certainly have well defined muscles, but they aren't exactly "built" with big bulging muscles we associate with gym rats and body builders.

He has a lot more mass and bodyfat.

No one is claiming vikings had bodybuilder bodies like in retarded drawings

>He has a lot more mass and bodyfat.

No he doesn't, I'm watching his videos right now and his body is no more fundamentally different than other examples previously discussed, you just posted a pic where he was flexing.

Also:

>No one is claiming vikings had bodybuilder bodies like in retarded drawings

>A viking skeleton found in Russia was 230cm tall, isotope analasys showed he grew up in Norway, and bone pressure indicated he had 75.0 muscle mass, that's comparable to Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime.

People are implying just that, which is what we are discussing.

As a butthurt pole who hates swedes I approve this thread

What the fuck is that armor, holy shit

It's from Warhammer fantasy I believe. If I'm right, that guy's a Norsca and likely corrupted by evil gods of madness (of the human emotional kind) that defy form and logic.

If I go to Norway, will I be drowning in boipussy?

>No he doesn't, I'm watching his videos right now and his body is no more fundamentally different than other examples previously discussed, you just posted a pic where he was flexing.
Are you actually blind? That man clearly has much more fat and muscle than the other men you posted. It's objectively true.

>farming
>having a farm

>needing to go fighting and raiding

No.

Read a book some time nigger. It's well known the vikings were farmers who raid in the off season for for loot, fame, and captives.

Very few, maybe. If you had a farm you were pretty set.

Unless you had bad harvest(not uncommon) or the chieftan said:
> Ayoo boys, let's go get some of that juicy French pussy

Pretty sure the Primitive Technology guy is an accountant.

Yeah but his bodytype is comparable to that of a well fed labourer

>Is there any proof vikings were muscular?
If you were a warrior you had to be muscular, unless you wanted to be weak and shit at fighting
>They'd be strong, but they wouldn't be built.
Untrue and it isn't like they didn't train
>The modern image of a muscular physique, with large inflated muscles, is only really possible through a strict modern diet and well calculated exercise regimen. Before the modern era, most people's diet were simply not varied enough and the types of physical activity they performed did not lend themselves to create the type of "fit" physique we think of today.
>chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/09/stemming-tide-of-deevolution.html

Can't find it now but was reading about a Saxon priest who documented the Danes as being 'troll' looking half humans, hunched up and wild looking.

It's worth noting that even a baker would have been very strong back in the day due to the type of work being carried out

>toned

No cigar user. Google search takes you here
>wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Norn

Aesthetic bodybuilding wasn't invented in the late 19th century.

Irish Annals and literature consistently describe Vikings as being slight and scrawny with scraggly hair

You can interpret this as
>a lie, because they wanted to make their enemies look weak
Or
>the truth, because they defeated the Vikings in the end, and surely would've wanted to make their enemies look strong so beating them was more of an achievement

Those third world farmers live in a completely different climate and have very different genetics. Northern europeans, living in cold climates would retain a lot more fat. Those men, being farmers are not trained for war and have different diets to vikings and ancient germanic people.

germanic people did a lot of hunting, particularly the professional warriors

>You think abos weren't doing any manual labor are you retarded?

abbos didn't build anything other then very basic shelters

>because scandinavian tribesmen who didn't even bother with writing their won history are so much better lmao

He's talking about the difference in lifestyle fucktard. Third world tribesmen don't chop wood or build houses, long halls or ships

Not related to OP's question, but since it's related to vikings I figured I'd post this fresh OC here.

Rowing requires you to be muscular, like really muscular, Vikings being the sea-faring people they were probably rowed often, and probably had extremely powerful upper bodies as a result.

Even those that didn't row had to chop wood, fish, hunt, lift and push and pull and generally fight shit constantly to keep the community in proper standing, there wouldn't have been much time for rest, especially if you were in constant conflict with surrounding communities and always on the verge of being annihilated.

You need to realize the Vikings were probably fucking ripped, if the nature of their society is as history truly describes, they would be massive fuckers who WOULD laugh at your physique if they were alive today. Just accept you will never achieve that Viking build unless you live the Viking life, you can work out all you want and likely never achieve the true Viking aesthetic.

vikings were scrawny according to the irish

It's important to remember that Irish armies were mostly made up of nobles and their retainers and the Irish nobility ate a shitload of beef, so maybe their perspective was skewed somewhat

Source?

THAT'S A NICE HEAD YOU HAVE ON YOUR SHOULDERS

The Cogadh Gaedhel re Gallaibh, the Annals of the Four Masters, and some of the annalic fragments compiled by Séamus Ó hInnse, but those haven't been published in English yet.

>rowing, swinging swords and axes, and shipbuilding causes muscle hypertrophy
>coldness increases testosterone
>an active lifestyle increase testosterone
>more testosterone = more hypertrophy

It's not rocket science.

>Now on the one side of that battle were the shouting, hateful, powerful, wrestling, valiant, active, fierce-moving, dangerous, nimble, violent, furious, unscrupulous, untamable, inexorable, unsteady, cruel, barbarous, frightful, sharp, ready, huge, prepared, cunning, warlike, poisonous, murderous, hostile Danars; bold, hard-hearted Danmarkians, surly, piratical foreigners, blue-green, pagan; without reverence, without veneration, without honour, without mercy, for God or for man.

scrawny my ass he described them as fucking monsters

End of discussion, really.

You realize that the photographer could have easily picked the strongest looking guys around, right?

A single sample is never enough to build a conception of an entire people over you easily-manipulated plebs.

Wouldn't pretty much any working/fighting man be pretty ripped? You wouldn't survive long being unfit and we know that medieval era people often had enough to eat to keep themselves well sustained

That segment in particular is a reference to bardic flyting. It uses hyperbole like that to describe both the Irish and the Vikings in a section resembling a comedic dialogue. Later on the Cogadh describes them as "ceansa" and "ganféarsóg", which have certain implications about manliness, though I don't know how they're translated as I've never read the Cogadh in English

the vikings era coincided most with the dark ages. By Medieval times they weren't as fearsome as they used to be due the countermeasures taken by their neighbors and many of them turning into Christianity.

>who didn't even bother with writing their won history

I'm tired of this meme

>chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/09/stemming-tide-of-deevolution.html

>uses a fucking blog as a source

Lmao what a retard

Excessive Cardio also prevents hypertrophy and you need high amounts of protein and calorie surpluses to build muscle.

Soldiers throughout history have NEVER looked like bodybuilders. Their day to day lifestyle and diet simply would not allow their bodies to build muscle that way.

>They'd be strong, but they wouldn't be built. The modern image of a muscular physique, with large inflated muscles, is only really possible through a strict modern diet and well calculated exercise regimen. Before the modern era, most people's diet were simply not varied enough and the types of physical activity they performed did not lend themselves to create the type of "fit" physique we think of today

This is a bit wrong

>with large inflated muscles
The thing is, with regular bodybuilding and good diet you won't get muscles that are large and inflated. The common saying in the fitness world goes "you can't be too big". Bodybuilders, (people who make money from having a certain body type) almost always use steroids. If you see someone who you'd consider "too big", he is using steroids.
>and well calculated exercise regimen.
Eh. Getting a good body isn't that hard, it just takes time. You could get a good body from doing medieval physical activities (farm work, sailing, fighting, building) since most of them count as compound exercises with poor form. You also don't need weighs for being a muscular, there are plenty of bodybuilders who do calisthenics only.

I think the difference between Vikings and continental medieval peasants is the amount of fish in your diet. Nordics just got more protein perhaps?

I don't really know if vikings were muscular or not, but the idea that getting a muscular and fit body requires some 100% accurate and specific diet and 100% specific exercises is wrong.

If you read the article, you will find that Jamie Lewis includes sources at the end of the post.

I VILL DRINK FROM YOUR SKULL

Nearly everybody was a weak beta back then. But northerners with more winter ate more meat per person on average.