I hate post-modernism

I hate post-modernism.

Everything is pointless and there's nothing to do in life.
Making family is pointless because family is pointless.
Getting married is pointless because marriage is pointless
Drawing paintings in pointless, because art is pointless
Reading books in pointless because literature is pointless
Joining parties is pointless because politics is pointless
Programming is pointless because programs are pointless

Literally everything in this fucking world makes no sense. Everything besides drugs, sex, alcohol and sleep because that's what makes you forget about your existence. Hedonism is the only thing left for us in this world.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nw3YdxGA0uw
youtube.com/watch?v=iRS8a8HjqFs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Here's the real red pill. Your reaction to reality's lack of inherent meaning says more about your own psychological makeup than it does about reality.

If you were a strong personality, you would realize that "valuable" means "valued by someone" and "point" means it has a point to someone, and would embrace the possibility of setting your own goals and striving to do great things.

>Everything besides drugs, sex, alcohol and sleep
Those things don't matter either.

To be quite honest, I'm glad nothing matters. If nothing matters, you can hardly be faulted for favoring the things you want to favor over others. Faith, knowledge, self-cultivation, gratitude, temperance, humility, excellence, are all the more beautiful because they are neither necessary nor rewarded on any metaphysical scale.

well, accepting nihilism really helps. When you realise the only point in lofe is the one you make yourself, then you can actually give it some meaning.

>I'm glad nothing matters
Me too. I can feel better about being a failure. But the shame always and memory of cringe worthy moments always come back before sleep and soon after waking up, and the nightmares dn't let me forget...

/thread

This.

Pretty sure OP is a stupid Christcuck.

Take comfort in knowing one day, eventually, you'll cease to be, and those memories will never haunt you again.

None of what you're describing is limited to post-modern thought. Maybe you should jump headfirst into a religion though if you're so desperate for external meaning.

> Everything is pointless
That is nihilism, my friend. Post-modernism is all about that you can create new point whenever its suit your intentions. Like reusing Pepe character in your memes as you want, contrary to his role, that he played in original work. Basically, for you anything can have a point if you work to bring the point to existence. If you doesn't care enough for that than enjoy your pointless life and everything.

>muh meening

Why does this bum people out so much?

Just go have a fucking slice of pizza or go for a walk in the park or something, goddamn.

Hold over from Christian thought. They lose God and their whole outlook comes tumbling down. They never really valued life much in the first place.

OP is a cuck

And which point should I make if I feel, I know that it's fake anyway?
Then I'll be a hypocrisy cunt telling lies to myself.

This is society of countless simulations. Nothing, literally nothing in the modern world is fucking real.

Why do you need marriage if you can make spontaneous sex? Why do you need kids if the government will pay you pensions and there're social organisations helping eldery?
Why do you need to buy books or arts if there's so much various content on Internet absolutly for free?
Everything that was necessary in the past is pointless nowdays.

>Faith, knowledge, self-cultivation, gratitude, temperance, humility, excellence, are all the more beautiful because they are neither necessary nor rewarded on any metaphysical scale.
So what's the point of following them if they're pointless and nobody emrace nor appreciate them.
Only mazochists will do that.

What's the point in not doing them?

>new point
That would be a fake point, a simple simulation, you can lie to yourself it's real, but it's not. And deep deep inside you'll always know that, no matter what.

Why do you need a point? Why can't you just enjoy things?

Because they're worthless and don't bring you pleasure nor help to forget about your pointless existence?

I said what I enjoy: getting drunk, using drugs, having sex with random people, sleeping, that's all.
But such behaviour is considered destructive by others.

> He need a reason to be a man of virtue
Do you prefer miserable life devoid of even a little bit of heroism or what?

Would not doing them be worthy? Would not doing them bring you pleasure? Would not doing them help you forget about your existence?

> you can lie to yourself it's real, but it's not
Of course it is! Even most crazy delusion are real in one sense or another, even fictional characters exist in certain meaning of the word. To deny the reality of someone point is an irrational act of the hate or willful ignorance. Nothing more than that.

Who cares what they consider it? Nothing matters, right?

Also, do you not have any hobbies?

I'm a nihilist I guess, but I still like writing and drawing and exercise.

>Take comfort in knowing one day, eventually, you'll cease to be, and those memories will never haunt you again.
I know. It's so silly but here I am, drinking again.

>heroism
there's no such thing
no
no
no
What even makes you think they will help in any of those things? You're probably brainwashed by Christianity.

> they're worthless and don't bring you pleasure
Who say so? You? Well, it just means that you doesn't work hard enough for thing being worthy, pleasurable or both, of course if you hide behind excuses about how everything is fake, you can't even made a first step to world of your meaning.

> there's no such thing
Except, it exist for everyone who in position to just manifest in any desirable and chosen way.

>Who cares what they consider it?
I wouldn't care if said people wouldn't attempt to harm me because they consider me destructive.
Like they call me names: an alcoholic or a junkie. They tell me I should follow a normal lifestyle which they follow. Not like I'm living in a vacuum. Even if I fuck random ppl and dump them - they get offended and attempt to take reveange.

I'm not a Christian. I am, however, questioning your notion that just because an act is not metaphysically rewarded, that the opposite act or the want of that act is any different.

If it isn't, then why do you prefer the one rather than the other?

I have hobbies but I consider them meaningless and autistic since nobody appreciates them anyway in those post-modern times when people have so much entertaining content waving around.

I have hobbies to fill my meningless existence and spare time. But then I ask myself: what the hell am I doing with my life? Wasting years sitting infront of the monitor with 0 profit, doing some worthless shit? That's not what I was supposed to gain at this point of my life.

Do you know the definition of post-modernism?
Everything is not real and is just a parody oin itself.
Go read some books.

> nobody appreciates them anyway
Why do you have the hobbies that even you can't appreciate? And if you can, why even opinion of a randoms retards who probably know shit about all you can do even matters anyway?!

>everyone
Then I'm not everyone. Why would anyone be heroic? Because he wants appreciation and to gain a certain profit. That's all.
That's hypocrisy to be heroic for the sake of pure heroism.

Because hobbies are not everything in life. Being appreciated by people is a natural pleasure and desire. And if you have lack of that - you feel worthless I guess. Even making your hobbies to show someone is an act of appreciation.

youtube.com/watch?v=Nw3YdxGA0uw

Kill urself. It's the only way desu.

There exist value in doing things certain ways and not an another that can't be reduced to some sort of results, goals or rewards. Like when you play a game, there is no point to press a button just that it could show you winning screen. Because doing that would destroy the proper way of how a game should be played. Crying about a lack of meaning is like crying about the lack of the winning screen in a perfectly good game, so people being heavily invested in external rewards corner themselves as external world is meaningless. All meanings exist inside of people, but when you are driven by what is inside of you, you don't need to plan tens steps ahead to move and neurotically trying to formulate your goals, calculate profits, see rewards to move forward. People driven by what they want as much by who are they, but when you focus only on their desires you miss half of basic human psychology.

/thread

This thread is really great. I feel you guys.

>meaning

>reality's lack of inherent meaning
That's like just an assumption man
what is the logic that got you there?

>he doesn't embrace the absurdity of live and become a masochists

None of those are a requirement of post-modernism. Those might go down as "spooks".

Make up your own meaning then you fucking pussy.

You have every knowledge available to you at a click of a mouse. Great minds of the past would've killed for the availability of information we have today. And you complain.

You have freedom to pursue anything you want and how you want. If you base your life on drugs, sex and alcohol that's your own decision, don't blame the world for it.

You'll get over it.

Religion and philosophy over several ways out. My personal favourite is Taoism.

> Everything is not real and is just a parody in itself.
Parodies are pretty real, user. They are derivative, but if you think about it, all reality is a derivative of the itself anyway. For example, you are such life form that a result of a thousands mutations of the past living organisms, but what is the mutation if not a parody of original genetic information? Modernists are who is in real denial here. If it is just a parody then is basically aren't real and doesn't exist! Can you rally say that this shit is a great logic? Close your eyes and ignore the parodies, the aren't real because reality is a very serious authentic thing! Like, what the fuck? Just because something hurts your sense of objective importance, doesn't means that it isn't exist. The modernists are safe space tier deep in the denial.

Not OP, but the sheer amount of information and possibilities in today's age are paralyzing to me. I haven't really enjoyed much of anything for the last few years, so just the "do what you like" advice has never really gotten me anywhere. As an ex-Christian I still feel obligated to live a moral life and live with purpose, but how do you find purpose when you yourself are a bland slate of nothing?

What said kinda speaks volumes. It's not like any of this existential angst is new or original, so why are others able to live so effortlessly in spite of it? Do they just ignore it, are they unaware of it, or do they understand facts of life that I dont?

Im just curious, how do you guys rationalize your choices? Or do you even rationalize them at all? How do I stop fucking thinking about this shit and just live my life?

>I won't do something that makes me happy because there's no ultimate objective "point" to anything
How fucking stupid do you have to be to have this mentality?

I wouldn't mind postmodernism if the culture wasn't so fucking saturated with irony. I've noticed that a significant amount of young people in the west are horrified of succumbing to cliched yet absolutely genuine desires and feelings for the sake of some culturally "cool / intellectual / ironic / hip - factor"

It's really suffocating and it's starting to affect society in the worst ways. How many people on /pol/ fell into their ideologies for the sake of the comedic and edgy irony?

>blaming your autism on an imaginary philosophical concept with no utility to society

Fuck that reads like I'm 16 years old again

>just read wikipedia article on post-modernism
>just read wikipedia article about wittgenstein

Just do what you want.

The lack of inherent purpose doesn't preclude you having or fulfilling your own desires.

> Faith, knowledge, self-cultivation, gratitude, temperance, humility, excellence, are all the more beautiful because they are neither necessary nor rewarded on any metaphysical scale.

This. Genuine value is best value.

I have trouble with this same thing, I think it's called choice overload, there's just so many good options that you can't just pick one without getting anxious about all the other choices you could have made. Do you usually just dabble in a bunch of things you find interesting, but never really end up following through enough to get good at anything?

The only way to get past this is to just pick something and stick with it. The challenge is sticking with just one thing long enough to push yourself past the initial learning curve to the point where it starts becoming rewarding.

I would highly suggest you pick one skill to learn that is creative or productive, something that results in an end product, (learning an instrument, painting, hand carving anime figures out of wood, etc.) If you have trouble making your mind up, put together a top 10 list and pick one at random. The important thing is just to settle on one and not look back. As long as it is something you have an interest in, your gonna have a good time, so don't let yourself get caught up worrying over whether you would rather make ceramic or glass-blown dragon dildos.

Now that you have a thing, find someone who can teach you to do it right. If you can commit yourself to signing up for a beginner's dragon dildo design class at the local community college, it will be much easier to stay motivated than trying to do it yourself.

The idea here is to find that sense of purpose through productive work, and through learning the traditional standards of excellence in your craft. Think of it like a kung-foo movie: any asshole can throw a punch, but you know the hero is serious business because he was trained by the great Master Ching in the legendary Iron Fist School. Objective standards and tradition kill the post-modernist, so become an expert at something, then teach someone else.

>setting your own goals and striving to do great things
Which inevitably involves embracing reality, being rational and valuing science and progress, things which postmodernists believe are part of a spooky societal framework which only weak minded people believe in.

Memes are not pointless.

what are some of the most powerful memes

> you can make spontaneous sex
> you can
AAAAAAAAAgHHHHH, pain, again.

(You)ing my property here.

You never needed marriage for sex
Ever.

A marriage is just a formalisation of a relationship with another person, it has no meaning. It has no inherent value or purpose. It's just a ceremony and a name you can choose to use to celebrate something. It was never the point of anything, the fucking relationship is the point.

go outside

Would you like to posit one?

>Why read books when there's online entertainment
Fucking retard; I'm gonna go read a book now in hopes of forgetting your ineptitude

the point of doing anything at all is the thing itself, leading a hedonistic life is like downing the gravy over and over again until you get sick. variety is the spice of life, and while i get wanting to go through the hedonistic phase just know that nobody ever stays there. i'm not saying don't do drugs or have sex but i find that people who tend to emphasize those aspects of "explosive" living tend to be people who lack the ability to experience the flow of life, which is far more pleasurable and beautiful if you just calm the fuck down and let life live itself.

This has always been the case. Young people have always been terrified of showing genuine feelings for fear of being laughed at
>Was caught red-handed showing feelings. Showing feelings of an almost human nature

this.
it always irks me when i see the internet generation (particularly internet alt-celebs) who genuinely think they've cracked a new code on how to have your cake and eat it too when in reality the way the world works never really changes the stories remain the same and they might find that out too late.

youtube.com/watch?v=iRS8a8HjqFs

How do these things not matter?

Family is important to continue the next generation of humanity and eases securing wealth and partnership with another human.

Marriage is important to start a family. It's best for a child to grow up with both parents.

Art is not pointless because it intrigues people and makes people happy and want to live life longer to see more art and perhaps make their own art. Buying art stimulates the economy.

Literature is not pointless. It influences people and is responsible for influencing some of the biggest revolutions in history. It also conveys new ideas and intrigues people, making them want to live longer and enjoy more. Buying books stimulates the economy.

Politics is not pointless. If you can influence legislation to be more like your ideal legislation then you can possibly make people happier.

Programming is not pointless. You can change the world to be easier for humans and even save lives with new technology.

OP is fucking retarded.

Not him, but...

"Here" is defined by "there"
Coldness is defined by a body with heat
The observer / receiver defines the object / provider

So, actually, "lack of inherent meaning" is as false as "everything has inherent meaning" -- and is also equally truthful as one another, because these are both meanings attributed to objects by observers. It depends on your perspective, your rank of power in the world.

The endgame "red pill" is that there is none; everyone is their own endgame.

You don't really need to embracing something or fully believe in it or value it to follow the path of a creativity or whatever. That is one of the point of post-modernist logic. If you need to rely of some kind of spooky principles, you can use them and when you need to step beyond a framework, you can do that too.

You're dumb and didn't read the thread.
All of this was important centuries maybe decades ago, but not now.
>fully believe in it or value it to follow the path of a creativity or whatever.
So everything around is fake, right? You can kill people because their pain is fake and you "just follow your path", and you don't believe in their pain and thus don't empathise them.
That's it society of endless fake events, you can do everything, even crimes, because nothing is real.
>If you need to rely of some kind of spooky principles, you can use them and when you need to step beyond a framework, you can do that too.
Why would you do anything if it's just a fake "framework". You don't believe in it, why would you follow smth you don't believe?

No, my friend. If everything is pointless, then do what makes you fulfilled, not because it has some ethereal point but because it will make you happy, and surely enjoyment is the only thing to strive for. Remember, however, that sex and Alcohol will not make you truly happy, not for long, and their repercussions will only make you feel worse.

Oh, and this

>the point of marriage is sex
Marriages arguably reduce the amount of sex a person can have.