Mamluk dynasty

>founded by a slave
>first people to defeat the Mongol Horde

Can we have a thread about the Mamluk dynasty? They seem interesting I wonder why Veeky Forums doesn't talk about them more

Bump

>Baibars I, an upwardly mobile ex slave who had once been returned to the market place by a dissatisfied buyer on account of his excessive ugliness.

>YES, WELL DONE QUTUZ, WELL DONE
>HOWEVER

pls respond

Damn that would have to seriously hurt.

Why the fuck would you look for looks in a military slave?

for fucking, silly

Good post

They were THE main power of the world for 250 Years(and the Egypto-Syrian unified State Was for more than 300 Years thanks To Salah Al Din)
Look up the 1490's wars with the Ottomans where they reached Occupied half of Anatolia while The Ottomans never occupied Mamluk land
The main reason why they lost two Decades later was because of the Damage the Portuguese did to their economy

Weren't they originally imported turk mercenaries?

Yeah the Ayyubids Imported them and they eventually Took over

Note that The Mamluks refer to different Turkic people who were first Imported or even slaves and then took over as the Cairo Mamluks, The Dehli Sultanate was a Mamluk dynasty and Khwarezmia was a Mamluk Dynasty that ruled Iran untill the Mongols destriyed them

I thought he was supposed to be a handsome, Aryan male? Blue eyed/blonde hair

Bahri Mamluks were Turks but Burji Mamluks were Circassians

I love their architecture.

In a small corner of it. KYS, Islam has you cucked.

>save the world from the Horsefucker menace
>get shanked by your upstart second in command
Qutuz had a hard life

i know that they got rekt by the ottomans and then the ottomans marched right up to cairo and forced a complete surrender
doesn't seem like people living under them cared that much, basically a turkish military elite for another turkish military elite

>tfw your ancestors fought against Ottoman with Memlüks because they were more friendlier to Türkmen's compared to Ottoman

How the fuck does Military Slavery even work?
>Hey there, heavily armed steppe nomad.
>You a slave now.
>Mind the door.

Initially it was like this
>Hey there recently defeated Steppe Nomad/person captured by other Steppe Nomads and sold to us/Nomad who sold himself to escape the shittiness of Central Asia
>You a slave now
>Mind the door.

Also the fact that they weren't paid "at all" tied them to their lords, who supplied them with all that they needed.

You tried escaping? Tough luck, you have no finances.
Try revolting? Sorry, the lords troops outnumber you.

Though Gradually the Mamluk CLass attained political power in many places, Egypt and India especially. Largely because like Italian States and Mercenaries, the latter Abbasid Caliphate slacked off and relied more on the Mamluks increasingly.

Look up kul system. Slavery in Ottoman empire is a complicated topic. To cut things short, kuls, or "slaves" were everyone who served the sultan directly or indirectly. You could hold high civil or military rank and still be a member of the kul, the slave class.

>Mamluk dynasty
It wasn't a "dynasty", it was just a bunch of former slave soldiers fighting for power. Rule rarely, if ever, remained in one family for more than one generation.

Also, they were pretty shitty rulers in every single aspect except the military (obviously), but only for a while, until their training and equipment became outdated, and the were easily outclassed by the invading French.

>Italians