/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/General_problems_FAQ

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

Other urls found in this thread:

libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6025&s=bf68a705381d48565c76b2f3f094e2af
forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-paper-mario-ttyd-hd-texture-pack-v0-8a-may-18-2016
pastebin.com/PnATDKYx
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4nmj6o/xbox_one_and_playstation_4_may_be_the_consoles/
doc.dl.playstation.net/doc/ps4-oss/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Using OpenGL should mostly fix that.

I've been having some issues with windows 10 at the moment

Can we expect something similar in performance to the DX12 plugin that doesn't require to use this OS specifically? I don't want to be locked down

Vulkan is your only option f.a.m.

Is it a thing yet?

That looks like shit.

Honestly the accurate version isn't that much better, we're just used to N64's blurriness. It's mostly the weird tiling on the grass that stands out I think.

It's an option in the graphics menu, I forget what it's called but they talk about it on the wiki entry.

That looks MUCH better imo - everything blends together nicely. But I would like to be able to compare the pic in the OP with a screenshot of the same resolution.

I also appreciate the vanilla aesthetic compared to modder efforts.

Most old games just don't look good with high resolution textures.

Why

>That looks MUCH better imo - everything blends together nicely.
>Texture filtering
Hm, I wonder why. OP's is insanely biased.

I admit that the blurriness is not too bad in this case, mainly because it's supposed to be dirt and trees and whatnot, they're not supposed to look very sharp anyway.

That being said I still prefer nearest for the water texture, those square thingies in the water and generally for anything that has reasonable-resolution texture.

Unfortunately games on the N64 liked to stretch textures over kilometers and I guess that for those blurry mess is generally better than blocky mess, especially for "natural" settings.

Moders tend to use hi-res textures with low-poly 3D models. That always looks super odd to me. Take pic related for instance.

I don't think I'm the only person in the world who thinks that bilinear filter over low-res textures is worse than nearest a lot of the time.

>n64 emulation has zero dithering

Why is this acceptable?

Because we have the power of blur?

Why not?

Word of advice: the inherent in our delay in PCSX2 is going to make playing any DMC game a nightmare on higher difficulties.

>OoT: PS1 Edition

*input delay

>the inherent in our delay in PCSX2 i

PCSX2 has lag? How so?

It just is. Even with v-sync off and running at full speed, there's considerable delay. Makes the QTEs in Yakuza a pain.

Bump

Are shaders still broken in retroarch?

Question: Does the N64 output 240p over s-video / RGB or can it only output 480i?

I'm asking because angrylion in retroarch outputs 640x480. Is it like in the real console or is it because the plugin just needs the higher resolution to work and process correctly?

If it is the later, what method do you prefer to emulate a 240p output with the n64's VI filtering through shaders?

a) the image attached: scale the image down with lanczos4 to 240p and then apply a crt hyllian shader

b) image in post below: apply hyllian-3d shader for 480p games directly (sadly this image has phosphor on unlike image a) because I had to use a glsl shader and couldnt configure it, cg shaders via xmb are broken in retroarch 1.3.4, I apply cg shaders via cfg files) so the comparison is not optimal, sorry for that.

or c) use angrylion without the vi filter or any other plugin like glide64 and create the vi filter via a shader in retroarch?

>Shaders written for RetroArch's non-Vulkan rendering drivers, such as Cg and GLSL shaders, do not work with RetroArch's Vulkan driver. There is a draft of RetroArch's new shader specification written up by Themaister (original SSNES/RetroArch dev, and also the main RetroArch Vulkan driver dev) here:

>Just like ".cg"/".glsl" and ".cgp"/".glslp", ".slang" files are individual shader passes and ".slangp" files are shader presets which can be loaded to add and configure any number of passes. These files are currently usable in RetroArch with Vulkan.

libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6025&s=bf68a705381d48565c76b2f3f094e2af

image b)

Only if you use the Vulkan menu driver

>Question: Does the N64 output 240p over s-video / RGB or can it only output 480i?
99% of N64 games output a 640x240p signal, while a very, very limited amount of games output 640x480i with the expansion pak. The N64 does not actually render the games in these resolutions though. The RDP just scales them to 640x240p or 640x480i for video output.

AngryLion's outputs 640x480, but renders the games in their native rendering resolutions. This does not matter on the 31khz display that is your monitor. This does not matter on the 31khz display that a VGA CRT monitor has. It would only matter on a 15khz CRT TV.

Speaking of, the VI filter is actually the reason why the N64 looks like shit if you hook it up to any TV that isn't a CRT. I have no idea why you want to invoke that upon yourself for a game that isn't Star Fox 64.

Get good.

I want to simulate the original hardware and not enhance it or remove any of its features. Accept that.
I am invoking this upon myself because mupen64 or the angrylion plugin output a 640x480 signal and not 320x240. This breaks most 240p shaders thus you have of the methods mentioned above or another. If you want to output via Retroarch to CRT you have scale it down before as well.

that's not true, or more so it depends on what you mean.
In nightly, yes you are correct.
In stable, cg shaders are broken for most users via menu, possibly a xmb only problem, so you have to add the shaders manually via cgp and cfg.

Who are your top 5 greatest of all time emudevs?

I don't think anybody here uses stable

*meant 640x240/320x240 and I'm talking about mupen64/angrylion in retroarch not standalone.

Sony

I'm considering using my galaxy s7 (non-rooted) as an emulation machine (mostly ps1 and maybe psp), but apparently the original ps3 sixaxis controller isn't compatible with my device. are there any recommended controllers that are compatible?

Byuu
RYEFETCHA
RECAPTCHA
REEEEEEEEE
RYFEMININEPENIS
RYPHECHA

It's perfect.

My dick.

Emulating for the first time, playing thousand year door.

Is there any escape from the jaggies? I have anti aliasing and internal resolution all the way up but they seem to do nothing.

Were all these old games jaggie'd and I never noticed as a kid?

>Emulating for the first time

My balls can act as a pressure-sensitive touch screen.

I've heard giving me a rimjob helps with that. If all else fails liberal alcohol is the best blur filter thre ever was.

You were not playing the game in 1080p as a kid. Lower the resolution and use a shader if you want something closer to what you played back in the days.

You never forget your first time. Console pussi is damn tight. The sex is ELECTRIC

Shut up and blow me, bitch.

Is Pokemon White supposed to be this ugly? Looks worse than Platinum. Did I mess something up?

At least Mooch has the decency of using a trip, how am I supposed to filter you?

Yeah, you didn't swallow.

You're not: you're gonna take aaaaaall of my burning crimson man-meat. ;)

What if I just... stopped using a trip? :^)

- Moochykins

Go to bed the_randomizer.

That would be extremely painful

Well, I did... Whatcha gonna do about it? ;^)

- mooch

>White background
The fuck

>Speaking of, the VI filter is actually the reason why the N64 looks like shit if you hook it up to any TV that isn't a CRT. I have no idea why you want to invoke that upon yourself for a game that isn't Star Fox 64.
I think 2D games tend to look better with VI filters. Not just games that use gamma.

Is this broken?

>Thankfully, I see that it supports #include, which standard GLSL doesn't. This makes it actually realistic to port crt-royale, which would have been basically impossible otherwise.

I was wondering why no one tried porting it to GLSL

yes. retroarch is still broken.

GLSL in an industry standard, you can't "port" things to it unilaterally.

>playing twilight princess on Linux
>forget to enable the speed hack in Dolphin
>get to Faron Woods
>framerate drops to 20 past the cave
>think its just Linux being shit
>boot into windows
>get 10 fps at the guy who gives you the lantern when I still had 30 fps on Linux
>completely unplayable past the cave
The Linux shills were right. Windows really does suck.

GNU+Linux doesn't need shills, though.

It's because those are just textures. It doesn't matter how high you increase the rendering resolution, the texture's resolution doesn't change.
There's a high res texture pack you can try:
forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-paper-mario-ttyd-hd-texture-pack-v0-8a-may-18-2016

>HD TTYD
This is a thing I never knew I wanted until now.

Nah, you're just bad user.

How strong is the PS Vita hardware to begin with? I mean, even if the hardware is documented and emulation comes a long way to achieve optimization on the level of dolphin or PCSX2 to name some reasonable examples, how powerful do you expect a PC will need to achieve moderately playable functionality anyway?

Not Windows fault if they can't maintain their DirectX renderer

Which ARM processor performs better at emulation, exynos or snapdragon?

There will never ever be a Vita emulator because the hardware is too secure. Hackers agreed, don't bother them about it.

No security survives the onslaught of time.

Can't mix gba-colors and crt shaders. Get this.

For simplicity, gba-colors and ds-colors should be set by default in the core options rather than handled by the shaders or frontend desu senpai.

Does anyone know why I'm not getting any sound using a raspberry pi 2 and archlinux arm? Here's the error message: pastebin.com/PnATDKYx

>Can't mix gba-colors and crt shaders

You're doing it wrong then. It will always work if you do it like this

Pass 1 : gba-colors
Scale 1x
Filter Nearest

Pass 2 : CRT Shader(s)

That worked.

Is there an easy way to add gba-colors to the beginning of a shader preset? I added it then manually added each individual shader, and that worked, but was wondering if there's an easier way.

Also, how can I set it to x4 fullscreen?

I think 640 is a nice max size for GBA games, compared to the 960 I use for snes.

bump

I always use linear shader. Why nearest?

You don't want to use linear on an unscaled image

Thanks for reminding this shitfest of a remake exists

Why linear colour conversion is always superior.

That's not what "linear" refers to. Linear on a shader pass tells the GPU to use bilinear filtering on the output of that pass. You only want to use nearest neighbor on a 1x scaled output.

He does indeed look like a turtle

>blaming bad performance on the OS, instead of blaming Dolphin
top kek

Rustation?

Yeah. Just implemented running EXE.

Well not bad, passes more than ePSXe's interpreter.

>Did I mess something up?
Nope, Black and White were just ugly.

I'm a bit surprised it doesn't fare better actually, but at least it gives me some things to improve.

reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4nmj6o/xbox_one_and_playstation_4_may_be_the_consoles/

>Xbox One and Playstation 4 may be the consoles that is easiest to build an emulator for

>Certain parts of Apple's Mac OS X operating system are based on FreeBSD.[11] The PlayStation 3 operating system also borrows certain components from FreeBSD,[12] while the PlayStation 4 operating system is derived from FreeBSD 9.[13]

doesn't this violate open sources? And is this what Ricardo Stallmanu meant when he said that without knowing it we use GNU shit all the time?

FreeBSD is using the BSD license, not GPL.

BSD allows you to do whatever the fuck you want, GPL is more restrictive than that.

Nope, all you have to do is provide a copy of the BSD license:
doc.dl.playstation.net/doc/ps4-oss/

Use a text editor on retroarch.cgp (or .glslp)

If it's good, make sure to save the shader preset before loading another.

Well you're playing them in a deprecated fork of a pretty bad emulator..... How can anyone play like that with white fucking borders around their game BTW? That trash would kill my eyes

Is it supposed to look better then?

And just mentally filter it

>manually editing

That NEVER works for me. One tiny error and it fails.

Pretend you're a programmer.